• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D.77f150

Jun 1, 2017
    Union bridge
    How's it going names Dan. This is my first thread on here and I have the opportunity to trade a 86 honda magna 750 in mint condition minus carb clean and replacing the break and clutch lines for a 43 m1 garand, not all matching but all Springfield armory parts. And opinions y'all

Attachments

• 20170625_110434.jpg
      20170625_110434.jpg
      122 KB · Views: 483
    • 20170625_110513.jpg
      20170625_110513.jpg
      115.5 KB · Views: 468
    • Screenshot_20170625-140959.jpg
      Screenshot_20170625-140959.jpg
      30.1 KB · Views: 471

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    The factors that jump out at me are the bike's not currently ride-able and needs work. My 2001 Kaw has dropped in value since the day I bought it, so I don't know what the BB value for your bike would be offhand but mint condition aside it's not inspection ready? How old are the tires, that's another expense if they're pushing past 5 years old? Insurance is around $200/yr for me and I don't ride more than 2k miles/yr.

If you're going to shoot the Garand, are you prepared to shell out $0.50+/ rd for ammo. What is the throat and muzzle readings on the Garand?
    Do you already own a Garand, if not they're going the other direction in terms of value compared to the bike.

In the long run the Garand will keep or gain value as long as it's in good repair. The bike.... not so much

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    Honda Magna was an excellent machine. I have owned a number of Hondas over the years, and never was disappointed in them. In top running condition and with low miles it should go for around $1500-2000, IMO, considering the age. Any parts (carbs, electrics) and labor can get very expensive quick. On a Honda check the head gaskets for leaks, run a compression check on the cylinders and make sure it will pass inspection.The M1 sound like $750-$800 shooter. I also hear a rumor that CMP may be releasing M1s shortly, which could effect what your is worth.If the Honda checks out, go for it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That's probably a 700-900 rifle from CMP so what's your bike worth to you?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yup. Let's see some photos of your Garand.

$900 - $1200 resale, maybe.

Edit to add:

I just went back and looked at your Garand parts list. I am not a Garand expert, nor up on prices, but the listed parts look within "correct" or "corrected" range, and that GAW stock is worth a bit. That rifle must be worth well over $1000, probably a lot more, especially when beat up Rack Grades supposedly bring $1200 at gun shows.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just to be clear :

Do you own Garand looking to aquire a Honda ?

Or own Honda looking to aquire a Garand?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Yup. Let's see some photos of your Garand.

$900 - $1200 resale, maybe.

Edit to add:

I just went back and looked at your Garand parts list. I am not a Garand expert, nor up on prices, but the listed parts look within "correct" or "corrected" range, and that GAW stock is worth a bit. That rifle must be worth well over $1000, probably a lot more, especially when beat up Rack Grades supposedly bring $1200 at gun shows.
    True, I didnt look at the parts list. GAW stocks in good shape can fetch a high price. Gunshow prices, esp in our area are crazy but still continue to see them.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

D.77f150

Jun 1, 2017
    Union bridge
    I appreciate all of the input everybody, sorry it took me so long to respond. It would be my first garand. I have always wanted one but couldn't quite afford the price tag. Unfortu lately he wants it in tip running shape before he makes the trade. The bike sat in a garage for 14 years until just now since I'm working on it. But even though it doesn't need much I'm sure his garand will be gone before the parts even get here.

On a side note this was my first post on a forum in about 10 years and I wanted to thank everybody for their knowledge and quick response, reminded my why forums are the place to ask questions rather then just Google searching. Hopefully I get to make some new friends on here (just getting back into shooting as well my ex cost me every firearm I used to own) happy Monday y'all

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I appreciate all of the input everybody, sorry it took me so long to respond. It would be my first garand. I have always wanted one but couldn't quite afford the price tag. Unfortu lately he wants it in tip running shape before he makes the trade. The bike sat in a garage for 14 years until just now since I'm working on it. But even though it doesn't need much I'm sure his garand will be gone before the parts even get here.

On a side note this was my first post on a forum in about 10 years and I wanted to thank everybody for their knowledge and quick response, reminded my why forums are the place to ask questions rather then just Google searching. Hopefully I get to make some new friends on here (just getting back into shooting as well my ex cost me every firearm I used to own) happy Monday y'all

IMNSHO, if you have to get the m/cycle in top shape, before the guy will trade the M1 Garand........ the cost to you will be more than that M1 Garand can be "had for" with the CMP.

"I" wouldn't make the trade.

"I" would check CMP and get your documentation ready, and buy from them.

Work on the m/cycle as you acquire the $$$ and parts.

Ride the m/cycle to the range, with the M1 in a case. :D

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Not to hijack but are you working on a 77 F150?? It's your username and there's one in your picture. I just got a 79 F150 myself.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Huh, in 86 the Magna was a 700, not a 750. I have an 83 Magna 750, it was the last year in the US for the first gen Magna thanks to Reagan's import tariff on bigger motorcycles.

D.77f150

Jun 1, 2017
    Union bridge
    Not to hijack but are you working on a 77 F150?? It's your username and there's one in your picture. I just got a 79 F150 myself.

Yep I have 3 sitting in my buddies yard atm, this one was a complete tear down, body has been blasted and bedlined, and motor rebuilt...although it's not the 460 I was dreaming for.
    Has zero air or heat and my lady makes Satan's wife look nice she's so mad about it but that's what power inverters and fans are for! If ya have any questions about an just ask. It's my first truck honestly but been reading the manuals and I'm pretty good at fixing vehicles.

D.77f150

Jun 1, 2017
    Union bridge
    IMNSHO, if you have to get the m/cycle in top shape, before the guy will trade the M1 Garand........ the cost to you will be more than that M1 Garand can be "had for" with the CMP.

"I" wouldn't make the trade.

"I" would check CMP and get your documentation ready, and buy from them.

Work on the m/cycle as you acquire the $$$ and parts.

Ride the m/cycle to the range, with the M1 in a case. :D
    Gotta find me a vintage rifle sheath, I already have 2 bikes I can ride.

D.77f150

Jun 1, 2017
    Union bridge
    Huh, in 86 the Magna was a 700, not a 750. I have an 83 Magna 750, it was the last year in the US for the first gen Magna thanks to Reagan's import tariff on bigger motorcycles.

I may have my year wrong, I haven't looked at the title since old man staples sold it to me. Good to know though, I'll check into it when I get home.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Yep I have 3 sitting in my buddies yard atm, this one was a complete tear down, body has been blasted and bedlined, and motor rebuilt...although it's not the 460 I was dreaming for.
    Has zero air or heat and my lady makes Satan's wife look nice she's so mad about it but that's what power inverters and fans are for! If ya have any questions about an just ask. It's my first truck honestly but been reading the manuals and I'm pretty good at fixing vehicles.

Nice! My only question is this: You parting any out? :lol2:

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    The Honda Magna V65 1100 was a beast and even now I would consider restoring one If I could find one not too far gone.
    Good luck on your trade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom