• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    May the OP store the rifle for his ill grandfather?

Iffy. If MSP got ornary he'd be in possession of a banned weapon.

One thing to keep in mind through all of this is banned weapons must be registered with MSP. You'll need to declare it to them and hope your grandfather registered it in the 60 day window back in 2013 (I think it was 60'days).

Best advice is to contact MSP and ask (don't ask if it is registered) when he passes, contact MSP and ask what to do. Hopefully you are named in the will to take possession of the firearm and then hope it was registered and if it wasn't that MSP won't just confiscate it as it was an unregistered banned weapon. I doubt you could get in any legal water so long as you are otherwise following the law, but it might mean no one can take possession of it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Granddad potentially could have purchased from private individual before 1996 , if was Md resident during 1990-96 .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The only requirement to register is if you owned the banned weapon before 10-1-13 and established residency in MD after 10-1-13. That must be done within 90 days after moving here. There was no requirement to register the firearm if you possessed it before 10-1-13 and it was not purchased in MD.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Even if you lived in Md. Starting 1989 would have required a 77R IF purchased from a dealer. Private party transactions were legal for handguns and EBR until 1996 .

Hammurabi

Jun 22, 2017
    May the OP store the rifle for his ill grandfather?

Iffy. If MSP got ornary he'd be in possession of a banned weapon.

Ugh, this was going to be my next question. He's moving into an assisted living facility and my grandparents current house is being sold so he can't take it with him. I don't know what one is supposed to do in situations like this.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    One of our IP's here is firearms, wills and trusts attorney Brittany Stouffer. Give her a shout. No reason for the OP to guess, and potentially guess wrong, on what to do.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    It is legal to loan a firearm for sporting purposes.

That is what I was thinking after Brychans post. As long as Grandad is alive it is his rifle but letting his grandson borrow it. Once Grandad passes it has to go through probate( named in the will) in order for OP to legally retain posession. Again I'm not a lawyer and 'This Is Maryland'. ( in my best rendition of King Leonidas)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think contacting an attorney for advice is the best idea. While a firearm can be loaned according to BATFE, MSP may have an issue with "possession", since grandson is not the pre 10-1-13 exempted owner.

Get an attorney's advice is the best path IMO.

Give Brittany a call. it will be worth the money IMO.

Sirex