• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • haewon922

Jun 13, 2017
    Rockville
    Hi,

I have recently got into shooting and it is so addictive. In the past I was in the Korean army (of course the South) and loved my AR-15. I called her "Laura". In remembrance of her, I recently purchased Colt 6721. Now that I have a gun, I want to stock some ammo for the range. Where is the best place to buy 1000 rounds of 5.56 mm and is there a Maryland specific law on ammunition? Follow up question is what kind of ammo should I even consider?
    Even through my HQL and Utah courses, I never thought about asking these questions...

Thanks for your help!

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Hi,

I have recently got into shooting and it is so addictive. In the past I was in the Korean army (of course the South) and loved my AR-15. I called her "Laura". In remembrance of her, I recently purchased Colt 6721. Now that I have a gun, I want to stock some ammo for the range. Where is the best place to buy 1000 rounds of 5.56 mm and is there a Maryland specific law on ammunition? Follow up question is what kind of ammo should I even consider?

Even through my HQL and Utah courses, I never thought about asking these questions...

Thanks for your help!

One thing to keep in mind if you are shooting at a range is that some ranges will not let you shoot XM855 "green tip" 5.56x45 because it has a steel core. XM855 is usually very affordable, but it's only valuable if your range will let you shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chipd

May 20, 2017
    your barrel's twist rate and length is what determines what ammo you want. if you have a 1:9 twist rate, with a 18" barrel, 55 gr is appropriate. make sure you know your twist rate when you go ammo shopping. if you have a longer barrel, less twist is needed to stablilize your bullets, but not by much. if you search the forum for this stuff you will find a wealth of info.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    your barrel's twist rate and length is what determines what ammo you want. if you have a 1:9 twist rate, with a 18" barrel, 55 gr is appropriate. make sure you know your twist rate when you go ammo shopping. if you have a longer barrel, less twist is needed to stablilize your bullets, but not by much. if you search the forum for this stuff you will find a wealth of info.

He got a Colt 6721. It's a 1:9 with a 16.1" barrel.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Everything under 30 cpr is reman, something to be mindful of, if anybody didn't happen to notice it.

Correct.

That said, I've found FM reman to be both reliable and safe. I've shot their reman through most of my guns and I've never had any problems.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fiocchi-sd-357-magnum-ammo-142-grain-fmj-357f-p-2965.aspx

I was looking at 9mm so that is where the link will take you but they have a wide selection of 5.56 too. The good thing is buying 1000 gets the shipping included. Where I live I get 24 hour delivery with FedEx.

+1 I've bought a lot of ammo from these guys. I used to hunt for the the best deal on ammoseek.com and found that I could almost never do better than targetsportsusa after consideration of shipping.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Hi,

Thanks for your help!

Are there a lot of Laura in South Korea?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One thing to keep in mind if you are shooting at a range is that some ranges will not let you shoot XM855 "green tip" 5.56x45 because it has a steel core. XM855 is usually very affordable, but it's only valuable if your range will let you shoot it.

Same goes with steel case ammo as it almost all has a bimetal jacket (thing copper guildingnover steel jacket over lead core).

SGAmmo is a good place to get ammo cheap. Reasonable shipping. Cabela's also often has free shipping deals and often has something on sale.

You can get gift cards discounted on eBay (SVM gift cards seller often has them discounted if you wait a few weeks) or through raise.com

Can get them 10-20% off and then use activejunky.com to get kicked back another few percent.

Just in case you don't want to buy 1000 rounds at a time.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Observation.

New member.

Two posts.

First, asking where to get cheap (read as inexpensive) ammo.

Second. Acknowledges information given. Disappears.

He asked a question and got the answer he was looking for within 30 minutes. He acknowledged it in the wee hours of the morning and may just be sleeping or out buying ammo right now. Doesn't seem odd to me.

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    Observation.

New member.

Two posts.

First, asking where to get cheap (read as inexpensive) ammo.

Second. Acknowledges information given. Disappears.

Is it just me that noticed this?????? :shrug:

He replied 8 hours ago. Lol. Do you monitor this site 24/7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom