• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Yesterday, a friend of mine who lives in Maryland attempted to order a Remington 870 shotgun at a West Virginia gun shop, (the particular model was not in stock). When the proprietor saw my friend's Maryland driver's license, he nixed the order, saying he won't sell any firearm to a Maryland resident, citing the list of so-called banned weapons in Maryland that no one knows what firearms are on the list.

The list of "Regulated Firearms" in Maryland is readily available at the Maryland State Police website and on my last check, a Remington 870 shotgun is not a regulated firearm in Maryland.

That dealer could have made the sale, i.e., he is not governed by Maryland law and he should have known better.

Are all West Virginia firearms dealers like that?

:mad54:

Not all but I hear this a lot from Maryland friends. I went to a CCL course here and there was a WV attorney that spoke for an hour to the class. He ripped Maryland up and down and said to avoid the state. Many WV's are not fans of Maryland. Its their shops they can do what they want. I say try another.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    No "sorta" about it. If the buyer is a MD resident, the shop is required by federal law to comply with MD law. With MD law so convoluted, it's no surprise that so many out-of-state FFL dealers refuse to sell to MD residents. Think CYA.

Last year, when I was in Delaware, I brought a Glock. When I was talking to the guy at the time, he said if I had my HQL and permit, I could have walked out with it rather than do a transfer...

I know we're talking about WV and all, but in my case, was he right or did he fail to mention the 7th day wait and wouldnt that apply to WV and other states as well?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Last year, when I was in Delaware, I brought a Glock. When I was talking to the guy at the time, he said if I had my HQL and permit, I could have walked out with it rather than do a transfer...

I know we're talking about WV and all, but in my case, was he right or did he fail to mention the 7th day wait and wouldnt that apply to WV and other states as well?

He failed to mention that he cannot legally allow you to leave with the Pistol at all. He MUST deliver it to a MD FFL. Then the MD FFL does the paperwork and the wait begins.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    And it will continue to be more convoluted until we change our legislative body in Annapolis. Look at our gun laws (FSA2013 and others) as ObamaCare for firearm owners. You've got to read the 2,800 pages to know what's in it. :sad20:

And even after you read it you're not sure what's in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    He failed to mention that he cannot legally allow you to leave with the Pistol at all. He MUST deliver it to a MD FFL. Then the MD FFL does the paperwork and the wait begins.
    Correct. :thumbsup:

lonzo, did you have your HQL at the time in Delaware? If no, they shouldn't have sold you the handgun.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    Correct. :thumbsup:

lonzo, did you have your HQL at the time in Delaware? If no, they shouldn't have sold you the handgun.

No and yes he can sell me the gun. As I said in my last post, we did a transfer, to which I had to wait till I got my HQL and then waited 7 days till I picked it up

Transfer to a Maryland FFL that is...

Last edited:

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco

Thats what I thought, but ended up doing that anyways..
    Hopyfully, 2 more years living in maryland...

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    No and yes he can sell me the gun. As I said in my last post, we did a transfer, to which I had to wait till I got my HQL and then waited 7 days till I picked it up

Transfer to a Maryland FFL that is...
    Did you have your HQL number but not the actual card?

Not sure how it works in Maryland, if you need the actual card or if Maryland FFL can sell you a handgun with just the HQL number.

If one has no HQL, another state FFL should not be selling a handgun, even if it is being shipped to a Maryland FFL as one cannot buy a handgun in Maryland without an HQL.

I don't have an HQL so I might be way off base here.

Did you have your HQL number but not the actual card?

Not sure how it works in Maryland, if you need the actual card or if Maryland FFL can sell you a handgun with just the HQL number.

If one has no HQL, another state FFL should not be selling a handgun, even if it is being shipped to a Maryland FFL as one cannot buy a handgun in Maryland without an HQL.

I don't have an HQL so I might be way off base here.

You can't start The Maryland paperwork until the Owe'Malley Permission Slip (HQL) is in hand. You can pay the out of state FFL and have them ship to a MD FFL whenever you want.

GodOfVice

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Too bad, that's the way the cookie crumbles. Not worth the risk or ambiguity to him. There is a fireworks place just over the line in Pa off 83, they will sell ANYTHING they have to Md residences but nothing more than sparklers to Pa residences!

It takes brass balls to open up a business on a chicken**** border state line. :shrug:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    You can't start The Maryland paperwork until the Owe'Malley Permission Slip (HQL) is in hand. You can pay the out of state FFL and have them ship to a MD FFL whenever you want.
    I was looking at it through the 'you must follow the laws of both states' edict. If I don't yet have an HQL, how can I buy a gun in another state, even though the other state FFL would ship it to a MD FFL.

Once the other state FFL runs a NICS check and gets the money, I'm sure he wouldn't care what happens once he ships the gun to a MD FFL.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I was looking at it through the 'you must follow the laws of both states' edict. If I don't yet have an HQL, how can I buy a gun in another state, even though the other state FFL would ship it to a MD FFL.

Once the other state FFL runs a NICS check and gets the money, I'm sure he wouldn't care what happens once he ships the gun to a MD FFL.

My understanding was that since the actual transfer takes place in MD, the originating state's FFL doesn't have to worry about the HQL, 4473, or any of that jazz. Only the transferring FFL in MD deals with that end of things.

I bought an Arcus off of Century post FSA2013 and that's how it worked. As I'm a 03FFL, I get dealer pricing even on non-C&R stuff from them. They shipped to the FFL in MD who then ran the 4473, 77R, HQL stuff, etc. The reason for that is that Century wasn't transferring the firearm directly to me, they were transferring it to another FFL, who THEN transferred it to me.

ThunderStick

May 12, 2013
    Garrett County
    This thread is way off topic now....

.....Gentlemen...
    This thread is about a Maryland resident attempting to buy a shotgun which is not on the regulated firearm list in Maryland and DOES NOT REQUIRE AN HQL to purchase.

Let's get with the program, people.....

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    .....Gentlemen...
    This thread is about a Maryland resident attempting to buy a shotgun which is not on the regulated firearm list in Maryland and DOES NOT REQUIRE AN HQL to purchase.

Let's get with the program, people.....

can we ease up on the program since this is a discussion forum?....:cool:

We're still taking about how shops can/cant handle Maryland residents.....:sad20:

hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    My wife Trigger Happy made her first handgun purchase since we moved out here.
    It blew her mind that she was able to take it right home with her.
    She even said to the salesman"Ipick it up in a week correct?"
    We both looked at her and said no.
    You passed background its yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom