• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    Just wanted some feedback on members who have had the .300 BLK for awhile.
    I'm getting a .300 upper for hunting.
    Any feedback on your rig (pics), specific loads you're using (and where purchasing - hunting vs. plinking), optics and any hunting experiences (deer/hogs) would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Best,
    Jim

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have a Daniel Defense M4V5 in 300 BLK.

I have used Barnes 110g solid copper Vortex Tac-TX ammo, 115g Remington UMC, Remington 125g Accutips with no issues.

The Barnes and Accutips ,make a good SD or hunting load.

I have some sub sonic 220g Remington but waiting for my can before shooting it. All of the stuff seems accurate and reliable.

Glass is an Eotech EXPS 3.0 with a G33 3x magnifier.

Attachments

• SDC10017.jpg
      SDC10017.jpg
      72.3 KB · Views: 684
    • SDC10018.jpg
      SDC10018.jpg
      65.1 KB · Views: 590
    Last edited:

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    I built a rifle (threw parts together)....and my rifle is great with supersonics, but with the Remington subsonics , doesn't feed ( I don't have a can).

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I have a Engage Lower, American Spirit upper with 8.2" Noveske barrell and AAC 762-SDN-6. LOVE IT!

I took it hunting this year (before I SBR'd it) with a 16' barrel. It was devastating on the hogs. I have hunted hogs with 12 gauge, .308, 7mag and I can tell you that the 300AAC is just as effective as any of those rifles. It is much more pleasant to shoot and you get a very good opportunity at 2nd-3rd shots if you have a group of hogs around with the 300. I just recently SBR'd this rifle and can't wait to try it out next time I go hogging,

SBR Suppressed.jpg

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=150326

I shot one hog (100lbs) at 100 yards with a hand load I worked up with Barnes 130gr TTSX and 17.4 grains of Lil' Gun. I am pushing close to 2200'/sec with this load. The hog was hit just behind the top of his shoulder and the round exited the rib cage on the other side. It dropped in its tracks and I haven't seen a spray of blood like that in quite sometime. There was blood and bone in an arc about 20' from the point of impact.

I have also been able to hit a hog sized target at 500 yards with this same round with little trouble using the holdover on the my 1-3 Trijicon 300BLK ACOG. Even at this range it still maintains the power of a .357 at muzzle.

For subsonic I use the Lehigh Defense 194gr Maximum Expansion rounds, hand loaded with 11.3 gr of A1680, I get about 1060'/sec of of 16" barrel. These things perform incredibly. You can't ask for better accuracy with this round. I was sighting in my rifle with these and though I was having a major malfunction at first. I fired 3 rounds and could only see 1 hole in the target at 100 yards. I fired two more after shifting a point of aim, and saw 2 more holes in the target. Turns out the first 3 practically went through the same hole on this 8" target (lower right)

Lehigh D 194grME.jpg

Lehigh is having a great deal right now to try their loaded or component ammo.

For the Reloader: http://www.lehighdefense.com/index....2014-300-game-changer-bullet-promotion-detail

Complete Ammo: http://www.lehighdefense.com/index....a-2014-300-game-changer-ammo-promotion-detail

For plinking I use Sierra Match King 125gr and 17gr Lil'gun. Almost no shift of impact from the Barnes, but not quite as accurate.

All together the 300AAC is a hard to beat platform, light, accurate and powerful. Combined with the ability make your own brass from .223 cases with little effort and multiple projectiles available you have a versatile gun.

Not to mention if you suppress it, it is very quite. I had buddies hunting a few hundred yards from me and all they heard was a strange whistle. I Love being able to shoot without hearing protection both suppressed and supersonic.

One last note, if you aren't already into reloading, I suggest you look into it as commercial 300AAC is expensive. GO FOR IT!

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Built as a pistol for now until the stamp comes back.

Black Rain Ordnance billet upper & lower
    Noveske 8.2" barrel
    Wilson Combat 7.3" TRIM rail

20140312_20551_edit_1394687856582.jpg

Love it. I only shoot subs through it and am very pleased with its accuracy. I'm definitely a 300blk believer now.

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Some really nice looking guns you've got there!
    I'll post some pics of mine once the complete upper shows up and get the optic.
    I think its going to be a lot of fun to shoot and look forward to going into the woods with it too.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I finished my 300blk a few weeks ago, shoots fantastic. Only have 40 rounds down range with factory ammo. Will be loading up some handloads soon.

Attachments

• 2014-04-09_07-27-37_54.jpg
      2014-04-09_07-27-37_54.jpg
      59.2 KB · Views: 401

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    I have a DD Upper in 300AAC. Thanks for the Lehigh Link ...I ordered 2 Projectile Packs as I have My Dies and Some New MT Brass. I did Try it Out With some Rem Factory Rounds and found it Scary Accurate ! So I am looking Forward to this New Adventure .

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    View attachment 117153

Have had a couple.

Good shooters, solid performing round on deer.

Sold them both (cause I get bored easily). Probably build another 12.2" when my stamp comes back in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    My hog gun
    9" AAC upper/762SDN
    SWFA 1x4

Shoots super and subs with ease. I'm having a hard time finding decent subs that it likes. No feeding problems, but the groups suck. Does fine with supers/suppressed.

DSC_2423ss_zps500592b4.jpg

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    My hog gun
    9" AAC upper/762SDN
    SWFA 1x4

Shoots super and subs with ease. I'm having a hard time finding decent subs that it likes. No feeding problems, but the groups suck. Does fine with supers/suppressed.

DSC_2423ss_zps500592b4.jpg

Nice machine, have you tried the Lehigh Defense Subs 194ME subs? Do you load your own?

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Nice machine, have you tried the Lehigh Defense Subs 194ME subs? Do you load your own?

Never tried Lehigh Defense. They're in stock, but at $50 for a box (of twenty, I assume) I won't be trying them any time soon, either. I need to let my bank account recover.

I'm going to start reloading as soon as I settle a little. I have a press and plenty of brass, just need to get started (probably with 5.56 until I get the hang of it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom