• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    A buddy of mine down in VA recently took advantage of a laser engraving special at Sterling Arsenal and took 7 lowers to have them engraved with his information as they were putting it in a discrete location (underside of the mag well). Problem is, Sterling Arsenal misspelled his locality information swapping two letters in the name of the city. BATFE says that the spelling must match the approved forms EXACTLY or you're in violation, so he's going to get them re-done. The only question he and I have is this: Does the misspelled locality need to be struck from the receiver, or does the properly spelled re-engraving simply need to be on there somewhere without the misspelled locality being obliterated?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would have them strke with a line through the misspelled line (the whole line) and add the correct line below it if there is room.

Otherwise, I would have the whole engraving struck and the correct info engraved elsewhere.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I asked a lot of folks. All said to get them engraved. I am not messing around. I just got 2 done. It aint worth it.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I would have them strke with a line through the misspelled line (the whole line) and add the correct line below it if there is room.

Otherwise, I would have the whole engraving struck and the correct info engraved elsewhere.

That was my thought. I e-mailed the BATFE for clarification, but so far they've been slow to get back to me.

For those in this thread speculating that SBRs don't need to be engraved. I've got an e-mail that says otherwise from the NFA section of the BATFE.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Does the misspelled locality need to be struck from the receiver, or does the properly spelled re-engraving simply need to be on there somewhere without the misspelled locality being obliterated?

No, you shouldn't need to strike the misspelling. Just have the proper info on there somewhere in a format that meets ATF regs. There is nothing anywhere that says you can't engrave whatever the hell you want anywhere on the receiver as long as the required information is there in the required format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom