• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Did a search and found one useful thread relating to this type of issue, but was interested to know how many folks have disassembled/re-assembled the gas piston for cleaning? There's YOUTUBE vid's, but a couple of them say you have to stake it once it's back in. Have the piston wrench, but I don't want to take it apart and set myself up for issues later.
    Thanks for any help.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I'm assuming by FTF you mean failure to feed? If that's the case I would definitely try some different ammo and magazines first. Modern ammo is usually loaded lighter than original military spec, mine sometimes fails to cycle the bolt all the way depending on the ammo I'm using. Magazines can also cause issues in a carbine, and definitely seems to be the case in my experience I have some that work great and some that consistently cause problems. Those are two relatively easy starting points to check

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Magazines are the main source of FTF trouble in USGI carbines, especially aftermarket mags. The gas piston is not normally disassembled for maintenance, and the castle nut is staked in place. It's really easy to feel if the piston is fouled, and some solvent can take care of it w/o removing the castle nut.

Did a search and found one useful thread relating to this type of issue, but was interested to know how many folks have disassembled/re-assembled the gas piston for cleaning? There's YOUTUBE vid's, but a couple of them say you have to stake it once it's back in. Have the piston wrench, but I don't want to take it apart and set myself up for issues later.
    Thanks for any help.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    This is my second M1, the first one worked fine with regards to feeding and ejecting, but the hand guard would come off. It didn't have the bayonet lug and more secure barrel band. I didn't have any issues with any of my magazines.

The second one has the issues using the same magazines and ammo (Aguila). It's import marked (Excel/Gardner, MA.) and appears to have been USGI refurbed at some point. The first issue was light strikes. I gave the gun a cleaning prior to use, but didn't notice the firing pin wasn't moving freely in the bolt. Took the bolt apart, cleaned it thoroughly and got it back together. That fixed the light strikes.

The piston is not stuck, but it doesn't move freely. I have to grab it with my fingernails or block the breech and blow thru the muzzle to release it once pushed in.

I don't have my heart set on doing unnecessary maintenance, but it sounds like flushing it out with Hoppes or maybe wipe-out is in order before I consider removing it. It doesn't appear "pinned"? All the visible threading appears in tack.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    1-Are the rounds "stove piping" the top of the chamber?

2- are your mags USGI with letter manufacture codes or later commercial ?

If commercial some makers used thinner "tin" causing feeding problems.

3. Since you dissemble the bolt did you replace the ejector spring and firing pin spring?

I had same issues one time due to weak springs

4- Aguilla .30 carbine on the weaker side, try commercial Federal/Remington

5- The gas piston does stick but if it does move rearward don't remove

6- Even though import marked, its still a USGI manufacture but mix match of hopefully USGI parts

7- if you do have a USGI mag, remove the bottom plate stretch the spring and re-install

8- Use wire brush clean the chamber

9- check the trigger group pin that the trigger group is tight on the action

10- lastly check the mag release, if letter coded check for line under the letter code, the latter M-2 mag release buttons work the best to hold the mag in place, an easy switch

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    I had a similar problem with my DCM M-1 Carbine a couple months or so ago.:sad20:
    It was addressed in a couple posts or a thread (or something) that I can't find now with me, Art3 and some others.:o
    Even switching mags, I would have jams where the cartridge wouldn't go all the way into the breach.
    Long story short: a new recoil spring fixed it.:party29: I just shot a match with it this weekend, with three different mags and no problems at all (other than missing most of the 9 & 10 rings).:innocent0

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Thanks everyone for your responses.
    I sprayed Wipe-out down the barrel, and put a stopper in the muzzle, so it can soak into the gas piston area. Ordered a M1 carbine rifle spring kit from Wolff. Will verify the mags I have are USGI, disassemble and clean, prior to my next range outing.

At 25 yds, prone, I was getting descent groupings after a thorough bolt cleaning.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Success!

Glad I didn't take the piston out for cleaning, thanks for everyone's help.

Took apart and wiped out all my mags except a 5rd one. One did have the spring in backwards.
    Sprayed Wipeout down the barrel and on the exterior area of the piston and let it soak 3 times. Wiped the piston off, pushed it back in, pulled it out, wiped it off, repeatedly.
    Shot today using 15rd mags, one USGI and one aftermarket with the same ammo as before (Aquilla) and some Privi with no issues. The 5rd still had failure to feed issues.
    Based on the fact the bolt was gunked up, I'm thinking there was some gunk in the piston chamber that the Wipeout dissolved.

nb4602

nb405
    Feb 28, 2013
    Rosedale
    Very common . I have 3 , 2 with similar issues . Cleaning is a big cause but yes the mags seem to make a world of difference . The older USGI mags seem to work the best as well as surplus ammo .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom