• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Maybe I missed it but what grade is the rifle,if it's one of the lesser grades such as field or rack and Charlie says the barrel has issues may just want to have him rebarrel it. He did mine and windage is dead center,did not have to adjust it at all after he was done with it.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    This rifle is a Service grade. Just pulled the papers to verify. I recall it was marked Low errosion at both ends but can’t find the tag and not on the papers. I would not replace the barrel. Next owner can do that ( or not) if need be. Pp for the rifle was $625 plus shipping. Its my problem child, but i have 2 others to shoot.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If over indexed the barrel does not need replaced. Back it off to proper time, if barrel is to loose the shoulder can be rolled, simple

So much on Garands seems to be “oh, if it is loose, just peen the crap out of it”.

I get it, but seems like a far cry from there to where we are now. Well, with modern service rifles.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Rolling the shoulder is a possibility but, headspace will increase. As long as it is still within spec., no problem. If I were going to all the work to tear the rifle down and rebuild it, I would prefer to replace the old barrel. A new Criterion runs around $180 +/-. By the time you pay a smith to try rolling the shoulder to fix the issue, if you can find one who would go that route and with no guarantees, you would have already paid most of the price for a new barrel.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Shouldn't be enough to affect headspace negatively unless barrel is very close to failing Field Gage

Yep! My machinists' reference says on a 10 tpi pitch Garand barrel it should be roughly just under 0.00028" per degree of turn. So 5 degrees would be about like the thickness of an average human hair.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Communication from CMP. It will not stand behind this rifle as i have had it for more than one year. Disapointing. But have been in contact with a recommended armouer.

Sirex