• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    does anyone know of a "safe" or something to securely store a handgun in your car when going places you're not allowed to carry it?

Glove boxes are better than the passenger seat but, i'm sure there's a better option. I also know you can strip it a bit (take out the barrel) etc etc so if it IS stolen, it's not instantly usable but that's not really the question.

I would like a safe type box.. preferably one that's able to be secured to the car (so they can't just steal the entire box). I have seen them for the TRUNK and are very nice but run about $1000+.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    How about a small, insulated/fire rated, document box.

They're pretty strong. And they come with a lock. You could add a hasp and pad lock to increase it's secureness.

Bolt the bottom of the box to your vehicle. The lid, when closed, hides the bolt heads.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

I actually use this too but it’s crap and can easily be ripped out.

It would add another 15 seconds and noise to the equation but it’s better than nothing. I have a hidden lockable compartment that i put it in so it’s a two fer.

Where these excel is they are very small so can easily be hidden. Nothing bigger than a G19 will fit though

It would add another 15 seconds and noise to the equation but it’s better than nothing. I have a hidden lockable compartment that i put it in so it’s a two fer.

Where these excel is they are very small so can easily be hidden. Nothing bigger than a G19 will fit though

16,000th post!!!
    What do I win for noticing?

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    How about something like a Rapid Safe by Hornady? There is another one that I was thinking about, it has a tracking device in box that will show on your phone if stolen.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    16,000th post!!!
    What do I win for noticing?

You win a free embarrassing story.

I won an award yesterday so i had to be in actual uniform. On the way to the award i stop at 7-11. My radio clip had broken so i needed super glue which was hanging by the cigarettes. I tell the cashier i want a box of cigarettes and the crazy glue and point to the crazy glue. I then start digging in my pockets for my wallet and he hands me my cigarettes and a Black Ant pill package.

For those that don’t know black ant is an over the counter pill that keeps your pecker hard.

So here i am in full uniform holding cigarettes and a pecker hard pill. The pills were right above the glue so he only saw where i pointed. I immediately tossed it on the counter and said whoa buddy you’re gonna get me fired. Everyone in line buying coffee was dying laughing.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    You win a free embarrassing story.

I won an award yesterday so i had to be in actual uniform. On the way to the award i stop at 7-11. My radio clip had broken so i needed super glue which was hanging by the cigarettes. I tell the cashier i want a box of cigarettes and the crazy glue and point to the crazy glue. I then start digging in my pockets for my wallet and he hands me my cigarettes and a Black Ant pill package.

For those that don’t know black ant is an over the counter pill that keeps your pecker hard.

So here i am in full uniform holding cigarettes and a pecker hard pill. The pills were right above the glue so he only saw where i pointed. I immediately tossed it on the counter and said whoa buddy you’re gonna get me fired. Everyone in line buying coffee was dying laughing.
    I used to respect you. :D

does anyone know of a "safe" or something to securely store a handgun in your car when going places you're not allowed to carry it?

Glove boxes are better than the passenger seat but, i'm sure there's a better option. I also know you can strip it a bit (take out the barrel) etc etc so if it IS stolen, it's not instantly usable but that's not really the question.

I would like a safe type box.. preferably one that's able to be secured to the car (so they can't just steal the entire box). I have seen them for the TRUNK and are very nice but run about $1000+.
    I have a few of those $20 - $30 trunk boxes with cables.

If you are in proximity to Carroll Co., or Owings Mills (weekdays), I will give you one if you would like.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I run a lower console vault in my F-150. If you don't know the truck, most will not figure out how to lift the seat. Chris

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Then a thief would be highly disappointed, because it is extremely likely the box will be empty.

It's only used as a last resort. In the past 3 years, the Mrs. and I have been using them, between the both of us - we used our car safes twice.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    https://www.harborfreight.com/personal-portable-security-safe-64079.html

I picked one up with a coupon for $14.99. I was surprised how heavy it was. There is a key code on the side of the box if you are buying more than one and want matching keys.

64079_W2SS.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Always figured concealment trumps all but the best locks in this case. The post office is probably the best example, Have seen people diligently lifting the lid on their center console, and stashing their pistol before getting out, and walking into the post office. If I know I'm headed somewhere that I can't lawfully carry, I stash it BEFORE I get there. A lock box that isn't secured to the vehicle is worthless if a thief can just take it. Console safes are nice, and expensive, probably the best defense when secured to the vehicle, but figure the console and glove box are the first things a smash& grab thief would go for, so they will find it quick, even if they can't defeat it without stealing the car or jumping the owner. I'm a fan of small hidden compartments, and magnets tucked up behind the dash or glove box, relatively accessible, concealed, but not really "secure", but for a $5 speaker magnet, it's reasonably good compared to a $300 console safe IMO. Might be better off spending that much on a remote security cam running live stream and alerts through mobile data, like the Owl or Arlo go, especially if you have a nice car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom