Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 15th, 2018, 08:20 AM #1

Second Amendment Foundation Sees 1,200% Surge In Youth Membership, Donations

Its starting people.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/28212...-prestigiacomo

The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) has seen a stunning 1,200% increase in youth membership and donations since the tragic South Florida school shooting on February 14.

In reaction to the calls to raise the age limit on ownership of certain guns subsequent to the school shooting, SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb says he's seen a 1,200% spike in 18-20-year-old memberships and donations.

"We normally donít get that many members or donors in that age group, since the gun rights movement typically trends toward older Americans," said Gottlieb. "But the 18- to 20-year-olds have never been specifically targeted before, and they are obviously alarmed."

Gottlieb noted the importance of young gun ownership in the face of an aging pro-Second Amendment crowd.

"This influx of young Americans into the gun rights movement is important, not just to respond to the current gun control threat, but as the movement has gotten older, it is encouraging to see so many young adults getting involved in support of Second Amendment rights," he said.

On Friday, Republican Governor Rick Scott of Florida signed a measure that raises the age to purchase a gun from 18 to 21. President Donald Trump, too, has played with a similar federal restriction, previously suggesting people under the age of 21 should be barred from buying certain guns, though he's since signaled a retreat from such a proposal.

As seen with the membership boost at SAF, Americans have responded swiftly to the intense calls to crack down on Second Amendment rights, in perhaps the exact opposite way those pushing such measures want them to.

"Itís important to note that this interest surge has been organic on the Internet," said Gottlieb. "SAF did nothing special to make it happen. They have really done this on their own, finding us on the Internet and following up."

"I want young adults in the 18-to-20 age group to know they are welcome in the gun rights movement," he continued. "While the media has paraded high school students to push a gun control agenda, the age group that is now being targeted by that effort is energizing, and showing that there is another side to this controversy."

The sales of so-called "ghost guns" and memberships at the National Rifle Association (NRA) have reportedly soared as well since the school shooting.
Old March 15th, 2018, 08:37 AM #2
nope nope nope nope

nope nope nope nope

thanks for the reminder.... sent more $$
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2018, 09:06 AM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
For this group, send all three...
This may look like legal advice. It is not. I am not a Maryland lawyer. I do not know you or the details of your concerns. I cannot advise you or answer your legal questions. Hire your own counsel to advise you.
JohnnyE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2018, 10:46 AM #4
R.I.P.

R.I.P.

Needed - A well-spoken 18-21 y.o. to step forward

Someone to counter gun control media darling and suspected crisis actor David Hogg.

David Hogg: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

This guy gets too much media air time to be a 'survivor' and the fact that the debunking article is riddled with as many inaccuracies as the claims being made by supposed 'conspiracy sites'. I guarantee you as his idea of 'common sense gun control' are promoted, he will be offered an anchor job at CNN. His on-air coaching by CNN has been well documented.

The NRA has done a decent job of promoting 'diversity' in their media personalities, but they have yet to feature a 18-21 y.o. ... the demographic group being targeted by the left ... and the group most easily manipulated by emotional pleas. If SAF were smart, they would poll their newest supporters for the best and brightest, then professionally promote them the way that NRA promotes Colin and Dana.

Proverbs 17:27-28

NRA Life Member
GOA Member, NAGR Member
SAF Life Member, JPFO Member
NSSF Member, MSRPA Member
MSI Executive Member
MD Designated Collector, Utah CCW

The Patriot Picket
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo
EL1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2018, 11:14 AM #5

I would really like to know the statistics for the younger members of the NRA over recent months. Does the NRA collect age as part of the membership application process? I suspect that there has been an increase, the big question is how much.

As for the statistics about the second amendment foundation. While promising, percentage increases can be very deceiving. The anti-gun crowd uses them all the time to their advantage. If the SAF only had 10 members in that age group, they would now have 120. A good step, but not necessarily a national movement.
GolfR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2018, 11:26 AM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfR View Post
I would really like to know the statistics for the younger members of the NRA over recent months. Does the NRA collect age as part of the membership application process? I suspect that there has been an increase, the big question is how much.

As for the statistics about the second amendment foundation. While promising, percentage increases can be very deceiving. The anti-gun crowd uses them all the time to their advantage. If the SAF only had 10 members in that age group, they would now have 120. A good step, but not necessarily a national movement.
This is precisely what I am concerned happened. A large percentage increase is easy to achieve when it occurs on a small basis. You can easily go from 10 to 120, not so much from 10,000 to 120,000. Both represent a 120% increase.
This may look like legal advice. It is not. I am not a Maryland lawyer. I do not know you or the details of your concerns. I cannot advise you or answer your legal questions. Hire your own counsel to advise you.
JohnnyE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2018, 11:36 AM #7

A few years ago I didnít know or care about the 2nd amendment foundation but after the last salvo of leftist attacks against the 2A I decided to become a life member. Iím not young by any means but my membership is probably part of the recent surge.
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2018, 12:49 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
Yup. Just upgraded my SAF membership to life.
swamplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2018, 01:07 PM #9

Fuxn peer pressure. ��

Just signed up life membership.
XCheckR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 12:47 PM #10

FYI - you can make the SAF the recipient of funds by adding them to your smile.amazon.com account.

If you are going to use Amazon might as well send SAF a piece. Small % but it helps.

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues