Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 7th, 2017, 06:58 PM #421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doco Overboard View Post
Sometimes a high shot deer is brought down by vitals being tucked up towards its spine from being bedded.
A shot in the same area (I'm Talking archery) on one that's been on its feet awhile may not be as effective because the lungs settled out some.
I found too that even though you have a good memory picture of where the deer was struck, sometimes when you get to them things are a little different than what was originally captured by the mind.
Not scientific study here,just some observations.
Take from it what you want or leave it.
That young fellows hooked even though he had a bad gig, he'll be out as soon as he can I'm sure.
Probably weary of going through the event in his head from being disappointed. That'll pass and come back some time later to him.
Its experience building.
Overall, great observations.

I've read, in many cases of deer getting hit high in the chest(no man's land as it is sometimes called), when the deer hears the bow go off, it braces to flee causing its innards to constrict. Part of that constriction is all the air exiting the lungs resulting in a 'space' above the lung cavity. I did this to a doe once. Thought it was a perfect pass-through. Never found her. Year or two later I killed a doe in the same area(Mom's back yard). She had major internal scar tissue on both sides of her chest cavity. Just above her lungs. You tell me...
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 07:16 PM #422

I believe it, found out the hard way more than once myself.
That little area you described can make or break, of course there's a million other things that can intercede,and then some that you never would guess could happen.
It's not done until your dragging them out bitching about how far your back.
Doco Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:37 AM #423

I think that is one thing I dislike about muzzleloaders. It can make it hard to spot where the deer was when you shot with adrenaline going and everything else. You get the gun Somme obscuring things for a second or ten depending on conditions, but then you might be findishly dashing to reload. I feel like with a bow that doesn’t happen as much (certibaly no obscuring things) and with a firearm, a lot less so, even if you are chambering another round for a follow up shot. It is easier with those other weapons to try to fix in your mind and with your eyes right where the deer was when you shot it/at it.

I have started to try to fix in my mind where the deer is before I shoot and not just afterward.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 01:25 PM #424

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
Yup! 30 feet up. Climber. I've been going that high for a good many years now, especially when bow hunting. When you use a climber, that usually means you are in a tall, straight trunked tree with little to no branches to hide you. Ladder stands are different, as well as hang-ons(which I don't like) in that, you don't need a bare trunk to hang them on. You can hang or lean them amidst the tree branches to help hide your 'blob' in the tree.

Took this guy at 19yds after calling him in from 60yds. with a can bleat. One roll was all it took. He came stomping in on a rope. A little background to this deer. I passed on him earlier this week(my vacation ended today), but I thought to myself, if he shows up at the end of the week and I haven't shot anything yet(buckwise), I would have a go at him. That never works out that way, until today. I am very grateful to have him. I will split him with the farmer who lets me hunt his land(18 years now). Lots of yummy burger and backstraps.
nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGrant726 View Post
Shot this young 8pt last Wednesday evening. First bow kill. Just got into bow hunting so I am happy with this one.
nice! Congrats! he looks like a big body. He should be good eating if the rut hasnt started there yet.

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 01:42 PM #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcam47 View Post

nice! Congrats! he looks like a big body. He should be good eating if the rut hasnt started there yet.
It's just getting started.
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 01:55 PM #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
It's just getting started.
Been seeing tracks in the snow...looks like its starting here too. The tracks look like chasing vs foraging for food. My tag is filled though so all I can do is get game camera pics or watch them out in the field

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 02:56 PM #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I think that is one thing I dislike about muzzleloaders. It can make it hard to spot where the deer was when you shot with adrenaline going and everything else. You get the gun Somme obscuring things for a second or ten depending on conditions, but then you might be findishly dashing to reload. I feel like with a bow that doesn’t happen as much (certibaly no obscuring things) and with a firearm, a lot less so, even if you are chambering another round for a follow up shot. It is easier with those other weapons to try to fix in your mind and with your eyes right where the deer was when you shot it/at it.

I have started to try to fix in my mind where the deer is before I shoot and not just afterward.
Watch your bullet strike the target and call it.
Make note and then prepare for follow up if necessary.
You can sometimes see a little black dot if your follow up is good, and light/ distance will permit.

Something else that I feel that is worth mentioning is that with BP, blood trails are not as prevelant than a high velocity sectional density hit. You want the ball to transmit all its energy to the game to anchor them and not pass through.
So good follow through is an important step in recovery if they don't fall right out. It's your first clue when you have to do some tracking.
Doco Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 03:02 PM #428

Took all week off to hunt the rut. I'm on Day 3 of staying indoors with my two kids who are sick. Hoping to get out there tomorrow as the one's fever had broken and the other's is pretty low grade.
Neot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 03:03 PM #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neot View Post
Took all week off to hunt the rut. I'm on Day 3 of staying indoors with my two kids who are sick. Hoping to get out there tomorrow as the one's fever had broken and the other's is pretty low grade.
Thats a tough break. Hopefully youll find success thursday and friday

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
BigCountry14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 03:09 PM #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry14 View Post
Thats a tough break. Hopefully youll find success thursday and friday

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Seems like the weather is going to be nice and cold, which should have them moving. Hoping there is going to be a nice buck in my future and not this guy lol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Neot is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports