• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dsnyder

MDS Supporter
    Jun 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    Fifteen years ago i put in an above ground pool. It came with tiered steps that would float. To fix this, i found some lead bricks and rounds that were laying around my job and weighed the steps down. I am now taking down the pool and find myself wondering what i should do with this lead. I have no idea on what type or even how much i have. I filled 5 inch pcv pipes with the lead and then packed them with sand. About 3 pipes 30 inches long is what is under the stairs.
    Would this be usable for someone who loads their ammo ?
    Sorry for the long post. But i was thinking about the karma thread if this is something worth passing on.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Back to the OP, yes.. it would something to one who casts either boolits or fishing tackle (since you don't know the composition). What was the 'job site' and what was the lead scrap from? That might help determine what kind of lead it was...

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Op, if you said they lead was originally in the shape of a brick, that would be a very soft lead. They used to line X-ray rooms with those bricks. This lead would be good for muzzleloader bullets just the way it is.
    If the other pieces were octagon shaped, they are also made of soft lead. Years ago that’s the style/type of ingots plumbers used. Once again that lead would be perfect just the way it is for muzzleloaders.

Any kinda lead works for fishing weights!

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    You can always melt them down and cast them into ingots and use a pencil test to get an idea of their hardness.

I'll see if I can find the link I found that describes it.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    It’s always 3%.....

There ya go, injecting common sense into a completely senseless discussion! :D
    Everybody knows that the increase is exponential, 3x3x3, then divided by the total pipe length used (90 inches), but possibly...
    SQUIRREL!!!

BTW, what was the OP's original question???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom