• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I was forced to hang up the competitive shooting after 63 years last Fall due to health reasons; I was the second oldest in the league at the time.

Lew--Ranger63

Korea, Vietnam (2), Germany

Lew thanks for the advice. If I could start the process over knowing what I know now I would have spent $1500 on a better rifle right from the start. However I really enjoy what I have so far, so I figure my experience and enjoyment will only get better as improve as a shooter and grow into better guns.

Sorry to hear that you had stop competitive shooting. Hopefully you still find time to get to AGC just to keep your skills sharp or for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I got the Giessele SSA 2 stage and just practicing dry firing I could feel the difference immediately.

Here is my first 5 shots at 100 yds standing, using factory 55gr ammo.

913a15a402d630947140ea3babfb02a6.jpg

These really are my first serious attempt target shooting ever. I'm looking forward to getting better from here.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Hey I just wanted to thank the more experienced guys for your advice. Today was my first official NRA match.

My goal for today was to win, but if that didn't happen my goal was to not score any M's. That didn't happen either. I had one miss on the simulated 600yd target, slow fire prone. Ended up with 399.

I got some good advice from other shooters today. Lots of room for improvement.

I'm glad I didn't spend any money on a new barrel.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Get a coat a glove, the best sling you can get and a data book, and old blanket will serve for a mat while your getting your spotting scope and stand together. You will learn the most from the guys you shoot with and check their kit out to see what will suit your needs best. Thats where you may pick some equipment up from the advanced shooters. I wouldn't focus too much on rifle upgrades until you get your drill down . Be open to constructive criticism and be prepared for occasional set backs. Every man that steps up to the line is a winner in my book.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    How close would a LaRue or Bravo Company barrel be to that?

Larue close in cost and accuracy. BCM close in cost but not accuracy (unless you spring for the SDM/SAM-R/SPR barrels). Bravo builds to Mil-Spec which is great for .mil and LE but for accuracy, not so great. Most standard Mil-Spec barrels will run 2-3 MOA with M855 (cheapish plinking ammo that will get you good trigger time) a bit tighter with match grade ammo but not much better. A hand lapped, button rifled, non lined, match grade barrel will shoot circles around a Mil-Spec barrel but won't last as long under sustained fire/full auto/mag dumps. Different tools for different jobs. For best of both worlds look up Criterion barrels, match grade chrome lined.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    How close would a LaRue or Bravo Company barrel be to that?

Krieger is the standard by which all other match barrels are judged! I don't know anyone who shoots CMP or NRA across the course matches who uses LaRue or Bravo company barrels. These matches are designed to test your ability to shoot accurately and do it at distance, not spray and pray.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Pay attention to dist 1646. He didn't pull that user name out of thin air. It's a achievement in CMP style shooting so rare, more people alive have a superbowl ring than have that award.

Good barrels and good bullets go along way. A float tube and good trigger make it easier to shoot good scores. And a nice 4x scope is icing on the cake.

Practice, practice, practice. One day you can turn that 399 into a 489.

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    A lot of good advise on equipment. I would add, with winter coming, a dry fire device from Creedmore, Champion Shooters, or Champion Choice. I think White Oaks has them too. Not very expensive and allows dry fire without risking firing pin or hammer damage. Actually breaks in the trigger nicely. Excellant training aid for Off Hand.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Pay attention to dist 1646. He didn't pull that user name out of thin air. It's a achievement in CMP style shooting so rare, more people alive have a superbowl ring than have that award.

Good barrels and good bullets go along way. A float tube and good trigger make it easier to shoot good scores. And a nice 4x scope is icing on the cake.

Practice, practice, practice. One day you can turn that 399 into a 489.

Bringing this post back to report on progress.

We had an unofficial match practice today and I was happy to get a chance to test some of my recent equipment additions. All in all I saw improvement over last year. It was late in the day, cloudy with a 5-10 mph crosswind. I missed two shots offhand but still ended up with a 437 score. I had the greatest improvement prone by 30 points over my last match. Ended up 190-5X.

I got a shooting coat last year but I was not used to using it. Over the past 6 months I've tried to practice position and dry firing 2-3 times a month. I think that helped tremendously. Also picked up a real shooting matt and noticed that I wad nowhere as fatigued when prone as last year.

Another big improvement I think has been to develop my own hand loads. Still using my stock Delton barrel I was able to get 1 MOA loads from the bench compared to the 2-3 MOA accuracy of the factory ammo.

I've decided to hold off on replacing the barrel until this one wears out.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have read a lot about white oak. A similar 20" barrel seems to be about $40 less expensive.

I totally agree about practice. This is all new to me. Trying to practice shooting in all positions with sling. I've got some match ammo and NRA targets on order and I've been collecting brass to start reloading maybe next year.

Similar barrels does not exactly mean the same accuracy. May or may not. Requires a lot more work than just price comparison. And there is no substitute for practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom