• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    As many of you know there are a lot of options for 10/22 aftermarket parts. This includes the availability of higher quality stripped receivers. Is the purchase of a stripped 10/22 receiver regulated by Maryland or is it the same FFL paperwork as buying a complete 10/22 rifle?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As many of you know there are a lot of options for 10/22 aftermarket parts. This includes the availability of higher quality stripped receivers. Is the purchase of a stripped 10/22 receiver regulated by Maryland or is it the same FFL paperwork as buying a complete 10/22 rifle?

Up to your FFL. It should transfer as Other, probably with just a 4473. Only receivers I’ve had an FFL tell me to do a 77r on were AR-15 receivers. Then again the only other receivers I’ve transferred were AR-10 receivers.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    it's been a couple years but IIRC mine was handed like any other rifle with same paperwork. I started mine with a Kidd receiver.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    This link says they can ship direct – enter your zip code to double check:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...ped-receiver-for-ruger-10-22--prod116208.aspx

Regards
    Jack

Direct to an FFL:

RESTRICTION
    FFL
    Products require a Federal Firearms License to be on file. If we don't have a FFL for you, your order will be put on hold until it is received. Please email ffl@brownells.com, fax 641-623-8143 or mail a clear signed copy to: Attn: FFL Dept, 200 S. Front Street, Montezuma, IA 50171. You must be 18 years of age or older except in states that require an individual to be 21 to purchase Rifles and Shotguns also 21 years of age or older to purchase handguns, Lower Receivers, Suppressors.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    Thanks for the input. I bought the stripped 10/22 receiver from an FFL many years ago and it was handled like a regular rifle purchase. I am thinking of selling the receiver as my plans of building a custom 10/22 rifle have never materialized due to financial considerations. Based on everyone's input it seems like a FTF sale to another MD resident would be OK. Any concerns or advice?

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    So when I was just starting out I reached out and asked MSP some specific questions. My questions and responses cut from original email.

‐‐----'xx

Hello,

I want to make sure I am not being overly restrictive in terms of transferring lower receivers. For discussion,I am breaking items up into 4 categories,* all of which I have or tell potential customers we need to follow state regulated sales process.

1. Basic AR-15 lower stripped or completed without any type of butt stock.**

Requires a 77R and a 4473.

2. AR-15 complete lower assembly with Carbine or Rifle Buttstock.**

Requires a 77R and a 4473 unless this is a completed heavy barrel rifle (exception Bushmaster which is automatically banned) at which time only a 4473 would be required since it would be a long gun.

3. AR-10 lower receiver stripped or completed in any fashion.**

AR-10's are not regulated at this time and can be sold using a 4473.**

4. Any other type of serialized receiver needing FFL to transfer**

Any lower receiver of any of the enumerated regulated firearms or their copies listed under Public Safety 5-101 (r)(2).* Two prime examples are the AR-15 lower and AK-47 lowers.* They are enumerated and therefore the lowers would require a 77R and 4473.* However with the AK-47 lower, a person can only build a handgun or sbr (in compliance with federal and state law).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I was a little bit confused on this myself thinking that it could be made into a charger pistol. Thanks for making the thread.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    I think after reading this thread I can sell the receiver FTF to another MD resident. Regarding the comment on the Charger I think it's the buyer's responsibility not to do something illegal with the receiver. It's being sold as a rifle receiver. I will make that clear in the sale process.

I look at it this way. According to the post above I could sell a stripped AR-10 receiver FTF w/o a 77R. Suppose the buyer decides to put a 10 inch barrel on it? It's on the buyer to do the right thing.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I look at it this way. According to the post above I could sell a stripped AR-10 receiver FTF w/o a 77R. Suppose the buyer decides to put a 10 inch barrel on it? It's on the buyer to do the right thing.

Right thing? What do you mean by "do the right thing"?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I think after reading this thread I can sell the receiver FTF to another MD resident. Regarding the comment on the Charger I think it's the buyer's responsibility not to do something illegal with the receiver. It's being sold as a rifle receiver. I will make that clear in the sale process.

A receiver is a receiver. It is neither a rifle nor a pistol until you build it. It is not transferred as "rifle receiver" it is transferred as a receiver.

A 10/22 receiver can be built either as a rifle or a Charger-style pistol (assuming it was a bare receiver, not previously built as a rifle). Same for AR-10 lowers.

silver78

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2009
    A receiver is a receiver. It is neither a rifle nor a pistol until you build it. It is not transferred as "rifle receiver" it is transferred as a receiver.

A 10/22 receiver can be built either as a rifle or a Charger-style pistol (assuming it was a bare receiver, not previously built as a rifle). Same for AR-10 lowers.

Ok so going back to my original question. Is there anyone here who thinks I can't sell a stripped 10/22 receiver FTF to another MD resident w/o the involvement of a FFL?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Ok so going back to my original question. Is there anyone here who thinks I can't sell a stripped 10/22 receiver FTF to another MD resident w/o the involvement of a FFL?

Selling a stripped 10/22 receiver would not need to go through an FFL. Face-to-face is legal.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Selling a stripped 10/22 receiver would not need to go through an FFL. Face-to-face is legal.

Correct. Based on the bulleted info above, it would be fine. My limited experiences with buying receivers the same (I've only bought AR-15 ones, even ones with integral butt stocks the FFL required it go through a 77r, sure fine. Both AR-10 receivers were 4473 and out the door 5 minutes later).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom