• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ww2

Nov 21, 2014
    Gents,
    Does anyone know what model this 38 cannon barrel is? I cannot find a single marking. Thanks

Attachments

• CB1.jpg
      CB1.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 656

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I dunno. I'm pretty sure MSP considers it an HK clone.

They can't find it on the Roster.

...and you can smuggle it through metal detectors, it costs a month's salary and it shoots armor-piercing, cop & baby-killing boooooooooolits! :rolleyes:

That's the one. It'll bring down a jetliner below 20,000 feet and can flip a locomotive right off the tracks.

It's also invisible, which is why I can't find mine. I set it down somewhere...

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I don't see the cylinder notches typical of pinfires. Not saying you're wrong, but the cylinder and hammer set up doesn't look like a pinfire. I do see tiny little dings on the cylinder, but they don't really look like pinfire notches.

It would help to have a photo of the hammer raised, and a photo of the rear of the cylinder with the loading gate open, like in this pinfire:

iu

You can see the notches clearly, also notice how the hammer is set up to strike in a downward direction.

Here's a nice diagram explaining pinfires, They were especially popular in France in the 1850s to 1880s.

iu

To clarify, every cartridge has it's own little pin.

iu

I'm curious to know if it is indeed a pinfire. It could be a rimfire.

ww2

Nov 21, 2014
    Although the hammer pin is a little mashed, it hits dead center of a case, so it appears to be a center fire. It's definitely not a pinfire.
    The cannon barrel harkens back to an earlier time. I've never seen anything like it. No marks under the grips either. Thanks for the help thus far. What is this thing?

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yea, if you search up on google "ring trigger" you are going to find lots of stuff.
    Finding something more specific will help.

You mention its a 38, where did you get that info from?
    Can you take pics with what looks like the loading gate opened?
    Maybe bore or cylinder Inner diameter values?

I will nickname this an early bulldog ring trigger

Why does the muzzle of that barrel remind me of the shotgun barrel of the LeMat Revolver?

ww2

Nov 21, 2014
    I've looked through every photo on Google images for ring trigger, but there are no matches. Here are photos with gate open and another with a 38 short partially inserted. It goes all the way in, but its rim prevents the cylinder from rotating. Cylinder shoulders down to .360. barrel is smooth bore. There are holes in rear of the cylinder near the edge so they are partially visible from the side but these are solely for the pin type cylinder lock. The action actually works pretty well.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      84.2 KB · Views: 249
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      66.7 KB · Views: 239

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That is the only gun Maryland will let us carry , it does not shoot but we can clobber someone with it .

Better have it openly displayed, sounds like a deadly weapon.

As to what it is, I am with Bigfoot, I’d guess a Belgian knock off of sometime. The smooth bore is really odd, so maybe an inexpensive knock off of some type? Maybe 1860s-1870s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom