Colonial Beach Area? Moving there maybe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I saw some properties near the Colonial Beach area and had some questions from those either know or live there. Being from Maryland all my live I really don't know Virginia as far as the laws and regulations (vehicles, taxes, building codes, and gun laws). Land seems to be very cheap compared to either St Mary's or Calvert Counties here in Maryland. Please chime in and give me some pointers. Thanks Chris.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    colonial beach area busy on summer weekends homes reasonable dont know what size home your looking for small lots in the town of colonial beach and get used to the booms base testing

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    Colonial beach proper and surrounding areas are kind of ghetto. I've lived on the Northern Neck for 3 years now. Been coming here to family's since 93. Coming from Essex, colonial beach was a no go.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If you move to Colonial Beach there are local taxes. Move outside of the beach.

https://www.westmoreland-county.org/tax-rates

I dont know whether the town tax is on top of the county tax or an either/or. I believe its an either/or. One thing to keep in mind is that in a town you get trash removal through the town which you would have to contract separately if you are out in the county.

If you like your toys, keep in mind that counties in VA tax cars, boats and airplanes. In Westmoreland Co, the tax on a car is $3.25 per $100 of book value. So a $20,000 truck costs you $650/year in taxes.

So when you compare taxes with MD, look at the entire picture as it applies to your life. Small house, 1 car, you may be ahead in VA. Nice waterfront property, a truck, a toy-car, a daily driver, a boat --> they'll bleed you dry.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    but boat, camper,utility trailers your tags do not have to be renewed every year and I just read theirs a proposed gun range for King George Va . And and you can drive your golf carts anywhere on the streets in colonial beach

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Town tax is in addition to county taxes. Live outside of town to avoid it. I lived and worked the area for a couple years. The town is nothing to talk about, but hardly ghetto in the Baltimore North Ave sense. Nice enough place.
    Monroe Bay side townhouses seem a little expensive, forget property in town, everyone acts like a view of the Potomac is equivalent to the Atlantic, and price accordingly. King George is not to far away, I would suggest buying in KG County over Westmoreland County. PM me if you want specifics or for more info.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Was looking at 10+ acres lots south of Colonial Beach in the boonies but King George is just as good. I'll look at KG lots. I forgot it's commonwealth and they seem to get you on everything. Most of our vehicles are older 7+ years and once moved I don't have to work (but a part time one would keep me busy). Chris

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    It’s like night and day from living in the people’s republic. Town taxes cover water and trash so it about evens out. Plus there is a kitchen table ffl in town that charges 25 for a transfer.

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED
    I have 40 acres in Richmond County on the NN. Paid $1600/ acre, about 15 minutes S/E of Warsaw. Property taxes are accessed at about half of what they are in Carroll County Md. Best friends and his parents have been there over 15 years and love it, they are 3 properties over from mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom