• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Saw about half dozen does this am. Shot a nice one that was 105 lbs dressed. First ever deer I got on rifle opening day. Very happy since the freezer was empty. Interestingly enough she was still lactating. Is that usual?
    Yup. A late breeder, it happens.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    She's small, but it's nice to have seen one and shot one after being skunked last year.

She was dead the moment I shot her, but she didn't know it. Sixty yard death run and she plied up just inside the tree line. Strange how deer don't like to die in an open field if they can help it.

Best of luck to the rest of you this season.

IMG_7771.jpg

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I could have shot a few this afternoon but decided to pass. I’m a little bit picky and none of the Bucks or Does I saw were big enough for me to want to mess with.

My dad on the other hand dropped a decent 8-Point not far from where I was set up. He was 191 pounds pre-field dressed and 164 pounds dressed. The DNR guy that was at KS Cuts tonight said it was probably around 2 1/2 years old. He would have been really nice in another year or two but if dad didn’t shoot him, somebody else in the woods probably would have.

Attachments

• 13D8044C-26BF-4CA8-86E4-FB112CA43519.jpg
      13D8044C-26BF-4CA8-86E4-FB112CA43519.jpg
      52 KB · Views: 216
    • 25044166-6408-4BF5-8E02-B78932E9CEA6.jpg
      25044166-6408-4BF5-8E02-B78932E9CEA6.jpg
      93.7 KB · Views: 220

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Bad deer Karma got me this morning. Shot a nice big doe at 0700 w/12 ga 300 gr Hornady FTX slug from 30 yds, she leaped straight up approx 8 ft, flipped over backwards with a twist. Looked like an Olympic diver back 1 and a half. Thud on the ground, kicked twice then was dead still. Five min she laid there ”dead”. I looked away for a second, and when I looked back up she was stumbling straight toward me, hurt bad. I figured she’d be done in a second but got the scope on her ready. She then tripped very awkwardly and did a front double somersault into the 6 ft deep rocky streambed 20 yds from me, where the sickening sound of cracking bones echoed all over the river bottom. She stumbled around in the stream bed where I couldn’t see her, then popped back out a few yards away into a thicket where I couldn’t put a round in her. She got up, fell back down, rolled over once, bleat/screamed then got up and then proceeded to run like a fricking cheetah with a rocket up her butt away from me thru the thick stuff, out of my life forever.

Odd thing is, I found no hair or blood, no evidence whatsover that she was shot. Was able to follow her trail on the fresh wet frosty dirt horse trail, for about half a mile, then lost it. Looked for 3 hours and nothing...I’m 100% stumped, and pretty pissed at the same time. Looked like she got hit by a dump truck, then she simply recovered before my eyes. I have zero explanation for this scene. Even have the shot on GoPro, which isn’t very good as there is no zoom and it looks like I was randomly shooting at trees. The sound is all there though, the thud, the thrashing, the streambed crashing, and of course my “what the F-bomb ?” Oh well, that’s hunting, strange, but hunting nonetheless.:sad20:

Good to see other MDS’ers had some good days. Congrats to all.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I could have shot a few this afternoon but decided to pass. I’m a little bit picky and none of the Bucks or Does I saw were big enough for me to want to mess with.

My dad on the other hand dropped a decent 8-Point not far from where I was set up. He was 191 pounds pre-field dressed and 164 pounds dressed. The DNR guy that was at KS Cuts tonight said it was probably around 2 1/2 years old. He would have been really nice in another year or two but if dad didn’t shoot him, somebody else in the woods probably would have.

How is KS Cuts? I was going to try them out this year

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I hunted in WV last week. Passed on several bucks. Ended with one 3 point Thursday (thanksgiving) morning. Hunted in Harford county today. Saw 7 deer. Took this one, large body 6 point. Not the biggest rack, but plenty of eats. The only picture I have is on the wheeler. Opening day firearms, and I was the only one on the lease hunting today.:sad20:
    image.jpg

Edit to add:
    I hunted today with a savage 220 bolt action. First time in the woods with it, shot was about 110 yards. Had to hit him with a second one to finish him.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    How is KS Cuts? I was going to try them out this year

They're good people. We've never gotten anything bad from them. It's a little expensive, but I don't mind paying extra for quality stuff. Especially since they're only 15 minutes from my house. Good selection of stuff to get processed. I really like their deer jerky, and that's coming from somebody who's not crazy about jerky all together.

They even cut the head off my dad's buck for free so we could get a European style mount made from it. And they were cooking and giving out free Italian style Deer sausages when we dropped it off.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I didn't see any deer this morning, just 2 foxes and squirrels. I was dressed and walking out this afternoon when my wife called with car trouble. Hmmm, " can you wait there til after dark" didn't seem like a good option so I'll try again tomorrow. The good news is the car started right up when I put the shifter out of park and into neutral and every time thereafter. It's a shame I couldn't have done a better job explaining that when she called. :rolleyes:

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Shot what I thought was a nice mature doe just after sunset today. Turned out to be a buck with about 4'' spikes that I couldn't see. Hit him with my 6.5 Grendel at 175 yards and he dropped in his tracks, got up after about 5 seconds and ran about 30 yards and crashed back down dead. Finally got to shoot one with my suppressor attached and boy does it make a difference for my ears afterwords.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    doubled on does in Cecil, finally got to kill something with my AR10/LR308

1 was a gut shot, but my damn crazy luck she didn't go far and did not get up and keep running and I was able to put her down. I had no blood to follow, but knew I had to have hit her. I just walked back and forth in the area where I saw her heading to and finally spotted her butt ( the white fur). The 1st deer went right down, good dbl lung placement. The reason for the dumb gut shot on deer 2 was me shaking and being like a damn mink in a chicken coop. 2 does came in to my corn about a little after 4pm, and I shot the 1st one, the other ran a little then stopped and just looked towards the 1st deer.

Attachments

• 2deer 003.jpg
      2deer 003.jpg
      90.6 KB · Views: 238
    • 2deer 004.jpg
      2deer 004.jpg
      60.7 KB · Views: 235

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter

1 was a gut shot, but my damn crazy luck she didn't go far and did not get up and keep running and I was able to put her down. I had no blood to follow, but knew I had to have hit her. I just walked back and forth in the area where I saw her heading to and finally spotted her butt ( the white fur). The 1st deer went right down, good dbl lung placement. The reason for the dumb gut shot on deer 2 was me shaking and being like a damn mink in a chicken coop. 2 does came in to my corn about a little after 4pm, and I shot the 1st one, the other ran a little then stopped and just looked towards the 1st deer.
    Great job FoxTrapper.

Hope you are well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Congrats to everyone who got on the board yesterday. Today is a new day with a whole new set of circumstances. I will be out trying to punch my bonus tag. Good luck everyone!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Filled the freezer in one hunt!

Congrats!

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Well, My boy finally had a deer come in where he could get a shot with the crossbow. It was a nice size 4pt broadside at 30 yds.
    I have no pictures because it ran off with the arrow sticking out of it.

It is very possible the deer will survive that shot.

Outrider I think it'll survive that shot also I hope I can see it again this yr.

I saw it again this morning.
    The 2nd picture shows the original arrow wound from 3 wks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20171126_080130_hdr.jpg
      IMG_20171126_080130_hdr.jpg
      108.6 KB · Views: 199
    • IMG_20171126_075439_hdr.jpg
      IMG_20171126_075439_hdr.jpg
      101.5 KB · Views: 206

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member