• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Hey everyone,

Not sure if you remember but over 3 months ago I wrote about how I bought my first severely overpriced assault rifle due to being in panic mode from seeing empty shelves at every LGS. It was a Romanian WASR-10 that I paid a bit over a grand for.

Well it just came in over the weekend and I took it to the range hoping that the fun I would have putting 200 rounds of TULA through it would take my mind off the 500 dollar premium that I paid.

Pulled the trigger and it went BOOM. but would not do anything after the second pull. I looked and noticed the bolt about 30% of the way back with the shell casing sticking halfway out of the barrel, still held onto by the extractor.

I manually pulled the bold back and ejected the casing and tried shooting it again, only to have the same problem occur. This happened for every single shot in a mag of 20 rounds. I tried using different ammo, but same thing. Tried using different mags but same thing.

I have no idea what is going on but I am extremely pissed that I paid 1000 dollars for something that has essentially turned into a 'bolt-action' rife as I need to manually eject and chamber the round after each shot.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before or know what can be done to fix the issue? Please assist! :(:(:(

Feb 28, 2013
    Brace yourself partner. All the haters will show saying "well it's a WASR. No wonder it's screwing up" with nothing helpful to tell you otherwise.

I haven't shot mine yet. Hopefully I have better luck.

Try chambering a round, and then pulling the mag before you shoot. That will eliminate one variable while trying to solve your mystery.

peckman28

Aug 27, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well sir....the usual questions apply here. You cleaned it thoroughly before taking it out right? This includes cleaning out the gas tube, disassembling the bolt and carrier and fully cleaning those, etc. I have a Romanian as well and it failed me a few times on its initial outing....turned out there was some cosmoline in there I had missed on my first scrub-down. It has been drama-free ever since, as just about all Romanians are. The other possibility, based on what info you have here, is that your extractor is out of spec. Hopefully it's just the former...good luck. I hope you get it running right; they really are a lot of fun.

Feb 28, 2013
    so the gun went off and the bolt went back 30% of the way and the extractor never let go of the empty shell?

I thought maybe the shell casing is sticking in the chamber, like the cartridge was undercharged or something. But he said he tried different ammo with the same result. A good cleaning may be in order, assuming he hasn't done it already. If not that, than a lighter recoil spring may be necessary.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Sounds like some sort of blockage in the gas port or tube, or maybe the bolt is holding up on something under the dust cover. Take it apart, look for anything obvious.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yep, take her apart and scrub her down. Make sure you clean out the gas port real well (dump a good amount of cleaner into the gas block). Sounds like it may be undergassed, possibly due to obstruction. Cycle the action by hand to ensure the carrier isn't hanging up anywhere. You should feel some resistance when it rides over the hammer, otherwise it should be smooth and even a little sloppy.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    OP,

Clean the rifle check gas port if its not obstructed with gunk then...

take the bolt out of the carrier and take the recoil spring out. cock the hammer. run the carrier along the rails. see if carrier is binding

baconsandwich

master of the obvious
    Apr 20, 2013
    Baltimore City
    +1 for cleaning the gas port with a pipe cleaner. And make sure the grooves on the bolt carrier (where it rides on the rails) are not obstructed and are well lubed.

My WASR runs perfectly, even when it's filthy

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    The case is tapered, so it's not sticking in the chamber if it has recoiled 30%.

Sounds way undergassed. There doesn't seem to be enough inertia to overcome resetting the hammer.

When the bcg opens that 30%, is it hard to pull back the handle to extract the case? Can it easily be closed again in that same 30% state?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom