• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    My scourge is done, their grinding on my expedition cleaver now, they’ve sent pictures and video

Hopefully it won’t be too long before they ship them, they’re coming together to save on shipping

Which size Expedition Cleaver did you go with? I have been looking at getting something traditional and one of those.

Don't know why I am into blades lately. Wife spent $5.5k on a mattress and bed set today so...……………………..

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Which size Expedition Cleaver did you go with? I have been looking at getting something traditional and one of those.

Don't know why I am into blades lately. Wife spent $5.5k on a mattress and bed set today so...……………………..

I did not know it came in any other length than 18”

I also ordered the scourge

If they are as nice as I hope they are I will order two custom blades in a couple months as long as these hold up

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I did not know it came in any other length than 18”

I also ordered the scourge

If they are as nice as I hope they are I will order two custom blades in a couple months as long as these hold up

You are right. I was looking at the Sirupate that had size choices. So many options!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Hope that's one hell of a bed set

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Hope that's one hell of a bed set

It’s nice real hardwood wood for once with massive under bed storage including a drawer that a nice blade could go in. Made by Amish like half the US stuff.

Shocked at mattress prices but I haven’t bought a good one in 10 years and my back won’t take the beds in a box anymore. We shopped around too.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    It’s nice real hardwood wood for once with massive under bed storage including a drawer that a nice blade could go in. Made by Amish like half the US stuff.

Shocked at mattress prices but I haven’t bought a good one in 10 years and my back won’t take the beds in a box anymore. We shopped around too.

Her and I have sets from our respective homes but we'll need to buy a king sized and a frame when I finally get the house done

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Her and I have sets from our respective homes but we'll need to buy a king sized and a frame when I finally get the house done

We are in the same boat we have been wearing down the stuff from our apartments 10 years ago. Not people to buy new when what we have is in good condition and functional, but stuff wears out.

Shopping will be painful price wise! That said she never fusses when I walk home with 2 new guns and she walked in the store after going to a couple others and said that's exactly what I want.

Back to blades - the under bed drawer on my side will be perfect for a Khukuri which is a great home defense blade IMHO.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Nice I assume that is raw. What is the handle material?

Rosewood it is!
    It was originally a Satin finish but down here in North Cackalacky, it’s humid. That was starting to show black spots no matter how much I kept it oiled. I forced a patina on it and it has been a-ok. I don’t even really oil it unless I’m digging with it or splitting particularly wet wood. I mirror polished the bevel when I reground after the patina. That helps a lot to too fight corrosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    SO you guys have me looking at these too.
    How do you sharpen these?

Same way you would any knife I suppose. Just have to remember it’s a convex grind not a straight grind. I use a 1x30 belt grinder with a 1,000 grit belt and a leather strop. For a convex I’ve heard of people putting 1,000 grit sand paper on a mouse pad and sharpening that way. The mouse pad so it bends around the convex grind. Oil the sand paper of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Im thinking of ordering a M43 Martial polished and a Expedition Cleaver in satin or raw.

Anyone have a pick of a "raw" or a "while rosewood"?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    A few notes to those thinking of ordering:

1) I like the full tang but it needed filing down on the back; when chopping hard items the contouring was rough on my my palm

2) I'd probably go 11" if I had to order again

3) So far I've chopped several branches and some waste wood for feeding the fireplace. Found a couple nails, the blade is nicked but no worse for wear. It arrived well sharpened and has retained its edge well.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ok I am in. As much as I am admiring that Expedition Cleaver I didn't quite bite. Went with something more traditional and a mini for potential field use.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
      Capture2.PNG
      6.2 KB · Views: 321

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Still loving mine. I split some logs for kindling just for the hell of it last weekend. While not an axe, it can process smaller stuff quickly and is very easy to baton with. Definitely superior to an axe for light work.

I'm not a custom/high-end knife guy but compared to my Ontario Knife khukri, this is a cadillac. I do like the Kraton G handle on the "modern" version of this knife but the blade itself and craftsmanship on the Kailash version is just outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom