• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    Have been doing some research on AR10 builds. Seems like for lowers/uppers, it's best to stick with one brand for both. Also seems like handguards need to match up with the upper receiver pattern (DPMS low vs high).

Are there any issues with AR10 BCG compatibility? For example, if I use an Aero upper/lower, do I also need to use an Aero BCG? Could I use say, a Toolcraft AR10 BCG?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Considering how "great" my Aero 5.56 BCG was, I'd suggest buying a Toolcraft instead.

Sorry I don't know AR-10's yet, so no idea about your actual question. My Aero BCG had a loose tolerance gas key and an overly long bolt. It wasn't a bargain either; I got it directly from them and paid full price. Not doing that again.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Yes, there are issues. AR10 specs are not standardized. Even slight variations can cause feed failures. Be 100% sure that the BCG matches the upper, and the upper matches the lower. Aero BCG will (obviously) mate with the AERO upper/lower. Not sure about Toolcraft, you would have to check. There are groups of parts that are standard. DPMS, Armalite,... without rehashing a lot of posts here and elsewhere i suggest Googling 308 compatibility guide and learn the terms.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    General consensus is that the Ballistic advantage carrier IS made by Toolcraft, and both work, but Aero's carrier has the "high pressure" .070 firing pin hole, and is slightly different, all 3 should work though. Have used a couple Aero carriers with no problems, proper torque, staking, and key alignment. Working on an Aero M5 in 308 now, using the Nitride Aero carrier and BA fluted barrel, so will see how it turns out, have only messed with DPMS previously in 10 platform rifles, but have had good luck with a few 15 platform Aero builds, so figured I would try out a 10 build with their Receivers, Atlas handguard, LPK and bolt carrier.

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    General consensus is that the Ballistic advantage carrier IS made by Toolcraft, and both work, but Aero's carrier has the "high pressure" .070 firing pin hole, and is slightly different, all 3 should work though. Have used a couple Aero carriers with no problems, proper torque, staking, and key alignment. Working on an Aero M5 in 308 now, using the Nitride Aero carrier and BA fluted barrel, so will see how it turns out, have only messed with DPMS previously in 10 platform rifles, but have had good luck with a few 15 platform Aero builds, so figured I would try out a 10 build with their Receivers, Atlas handguard, LPK and bolt carrier.

Thanks! I'm likely going to go for the M5E1 builder set and then build around that. Was looking at BA Premium barrels since they're heavily discounted right now ($189 for the 20" Premium heavy 308 profile), but it seems like opinions have been mixed as of late. Something about their quality control being worse than it used be.

That said, Criterion barrels aren't all that much more ($300 vs 190 for a BA Premium). Thoughts on these 2 barrels (both in 20"):

https://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan20nmm110ss1x12875gasblockthreaded.aspx
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...ls/308-ar-chrome-lined-barrels-prod80214.aspx

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Criterion is the better barrel.

No matter what you select you need to check headspace on the build, even if it's all from the same manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom