• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Awesome find and "rescue"!
    FYI, at Redding last weekend there was an "as issued" IBM...
    IBM Corp. – Mod. M1 Carbine – 30 Carbine Cal. Semi-Auto Rifle – w/18” IBM Corp. 9-43 Dated Barrel – w/High Wood Stock
    w/I-Cut & Ordnance Mark – w/Original Sling & Oiler (As Issued Carbine)

I threw out my notes but my weak memory had it hammer for at least $3k in a fierce bidding war. This one is probably as nice. You did great!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Thanks mawkie. My estimate on value mirrors yours. I think that, to the right collector, this is very valuable. To most guys though, it's a 1k carbine at most because they wouldn't know what they are looking at.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    Can you all offer some schooling on M1's? I have an IBM M1 carbine. What makes one more valuable than another? Thanks.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    Carefull. if it's the Selectric model that allows you to shoot more than 70 words per minute, it might be illegal. :)

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    IBM receivers were made by both IBM and Auto-Ordnance which made the Thompson Submachine guns. Receivers made by them as a subcontractor to IBM have an "AO" mark on the heel of the receiver.
    IBM-AO-mark.jpg

I don't know what proportion of IBM receiver production was supplied by Auto-Ordnance.

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    I agree with somd_mustangs

Overall gorgeous; the only thing that stands out to me is how aggressively the rear sight is staked, to the point of marring the sight itself (GE-Q would be ok).
    I"m no IBM expert, other makes I've seen use a simple round punch-mark for staking, not a big rectangular chisel, and not on all 4 corners.
    According to the Larson book, it's almost at the end of IBM production and should probably have the Type II (milled) or III "IRCO" (stamped) adjustable rear sight.

I've examined 100's of Carbines. I've never seen such heavy staking, with an incorrect tool in an grossly incorrect manner on a rear sight.

Its a very nice representative IBM. If it's original I'll leave that to others to decide. I'll keep my money in my pocket.

Rob

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Excellent. I have a refurb IBM I'm saving for my nephew since both his parents worked for IBM. I love the ones made by "non-gun" manufacturers. One of the guns I regret parting with was my International Harvester Garand. I called it the "beat their plowshares into swords" gun ; )

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Thanks guys. I've been contacted by a well respected collector of M1 carbines for over 40 years now. My understanding is that he has a collection of 200+ from all makes in original condition and he has made available to me photo documentation of many of these. In so doing he has pointed out many areas of interest in comparison to mine including some that have some pretty funky stake marks. According to him, my little carbine is exactly as it has left the factory including the stake marks. He says that, yes, they are kinda' ugly but they are good to go nonetheless. I have also been contacted by other collectors who have echoed his remarks. Apparently, as issued IBM's are relatively common. What makes this one special is that it remains unissued and unaltered for 74 years now. I'm told that's exceedingly rare. In fact, an almost identical IBM one sold at RIA this past September for over $6000. Now, that one included the box it shipped from Letterkenny with back in 1963 and that alone probably increased the value about $2000 but still, it tells me that my little clunker is something that should be preserved. So, at this point, I am satisfied that all is as it should be. I can't/shoot it and it's not for sale. So I guess I'll just stash it away until the time comes to pass it one to someone who will appreciate it for what it is.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Nah. I had a really nice M1D I couldn't shoot because of the condition. I sold that because I didn't want the responsibility of making sure the leather and glass stayed nice. This one is easy. Keep the metal from corroding and don't muck up the wood. I can handle that. I've had other Garands but the only one I still have is a CMP mixmaster. That's enough for me.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Bert nice, good to see there are still carbines out in the wild that haven’t been refurb’d

sandeman

Jun 19, 2008
    Pasadena
    My neighbor has the whole collection of M1 carbines. My question is: What makes one more valuable than another. I understand

That a low production run makes a manufacture more valuable. These rifles have all types of production sub assemblies.Owners of

These rifles try to put as many of like manufacture parts into their guns.I know that the receivers,barrel,wood stock,seem to

be some of the most valuable components. I have a Inland. They are fun to shoot. Expensive to repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom