If Money is No Object, How Much to Spend on an O/U?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    50 grand would be my max

I just shot with someone this past Sunday who has a ~$55k Custom Gold San Remo (K-80). Suffice to say I was sure to stay clear of it aside from checking it out before we began.

I think at $10-$10K you have something reliable, fairly decent looking. As far as six figures?..... I'd have an H&H. :D

Remember, all things relative, this guy who has the high end K80 is big horsepower. He's not the least bit worried about dropping $55K on a gun, doesn't phase him a bit, super nice guy too.

Also remember, the guys who are usually shooting the far upper end of presentation grade sporting guns aren't necessarily the "best" shooters, just the ones who have a taste for the finer things, which, I can appreciate but admittedly don't fully understand.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    THAT being said.....

See the gun in the background of this photo? $45k dollar Crown Grade, guy doesn't even care enough to put in ON the rack properly.

There's close to $100k there in three guns, no sweat, at Hopkins Game Farm in po-dunk Kennedyville, MD.

b1d26f6b71275cd1eaeb8b0d6f4d61c1.jpg

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I just shot with someone this past Sunday who has a ~$55k Custom Gold San Remo (K-80). Suffice to say I was sure to stay clear of it aside from checking it out before we began.

I think at $10-$10K you have something reliable, fairly decent looking. As far as six figures?..... I'd have an H&H. :D

Remember, all things relative, this guy who has the high end K80 is big horsepower. He's not the least bit worried about dropping $55K on a gun, doesn't phase him a bit, super nice guy too.

Also remember, the guys who are usually shooting the far upper end of presentation grade sporting guns aren't necessarily the "best" shooters, just the ones who have a taste for the finer things, which, I can appreciate but admittedly don't fully understand.

I have a friend that lent an $85,000 K-80 to a fellow shooter for a month! He’s also a super nice guy and not worried about something happening to the gun. He’s got a bunch of others.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I few years ago a guy in North Carolina mailed my FFL a Kreighoff and told me to just send him a check when it arrived and I was satisfied with it. A little less than a year later he mailed me a two tone submariner with the same level of trust. Never met the man in my life, he went on my word and both transactions were super smooth. Vast majority of the people involved in clay target sports are both reliable and trustworthy,.. in my experience anyhow.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Most of us are insured for full current replacement value on our main guns, kinda foolish not to be really.

Not that I would be overly pleased if something happened to mine either way, but at least it's something that would be covered for theft/loss.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    This thread reminds me of a guy with whom I sometimes gunned at hunt tests. We volunteered at GSP, Weim, and similar events - usually saw him down at McKee-Beshers. I always have the camera gear handy, just in case. He was out this day with a simply beautiful LC Smith, knocking around in the mud and weeds, helping me kill chukar and pheasant over Master dogs. He's definitely of the "they're meant for shooting, not dust collecting" school.
    smith_filson_rooster.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    How much would I spend now?
    None.
    I have the three Guerinis I want.

The question is, if money was no matter, how much would you spend on an o/u

If money was no matter, I am sure I would spend plenty on several o/u shotguns, maybe a couple rifles too.

Thing is, even when you win the lottery, money is still a matter. Plenty of lottery winners declared bankruptcy afterward.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I few years ago a guy in North Carolina mailed my FFL a Kreighoff and told me to just send him a check when it arrived and I was satisfied with it. A little less than a year later he mailed me a two tone submariner with the same level of trust. Never met the man in my life, he went on my word and both transactions were super smooth. Vast majority of the people involved in clay target sports are both reliable and trustworthy,.. in my experience anyhow.

I have bought a number of target shotguns from folks on the popular shotgun website and have never had a problem. Even got one with an approval period with no money sent. Clay shooters are honorable people.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    The question is, if money was no matter, how much would you spend on an o/u

If money was no matter, I am sure I would spend plenty on several o/u shotguns, maybe a couple rifles too.

Thing is, even when you win the lottery, money is still a matter. Plenty of lottery winners declared bankruptcy afterward.

Well in that case, I would spend between $5k and $12K as spending more would not get me a better performing gun. With me, it's the performance/balance/swing. K guns are too heavy and P guns seem to always have trigger issues. Artwork is on my walls at home.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I've thought about a nice O/U many times. My wants and uses would be sporting uses. My limit would stop around $3k. A Browning or Beretta would be my choice. Over that I couldn't justify. Now a lower priced CG could be squeezed in, but unlikely.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    This thread reminds me of a guy with whom I sometimes gunned at hunt tests. We volunteered at GSP, Weim, and similar events - usually saw him down at McKee-Beshers. I always have the camera gear handy, just in case. He was out this day with a simply beautiful LC Smith, knocking around in the mud and weeds, helping me kill chukar and pheasant over Master dogs. He's definitely of the "they're meant for shooting, not dust collecting" school.
    smith_filson_rooster.jpg

Beautiful bird and beautiful shot gun. You know what caught my attention the most though? I recognized the Filson jacket in the background.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes, this, absolutely. Or maybe Purdey.

Yes. The Brits do amazing work.

Most of us are insured for full current replacement value on our main guns, kinda foolish not to be really.

Not that I would be overly pleased if something happened to mine either way, but at least it's something that would be covered for theft/loss.

This. My high grade guns are insured and don’t show up here. Almost all have great sentimental value, so I’d prefer to keep them.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    This one will do, got to shoot this Holland&Holland late 1890's SXS today in a vintage gun event. It is #2 of a 2 gun set, owner owns both guns. If I had unlimited funds this is what I would buy.

Attachments

• IMG_0318.jpg
      IMG_0318.jpg
      90.3 KB · Views: 151
    • IMG_0316.jpg
      IMG_0316.jpg
      108.3 KB · Views: 112
    • IMG_0312.jpg
      IMG_0312.jpg
      108.1 KB · Views: 131

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am happy with my Browning 325.

It fits me, I shoot it as well as I am shooting on any given day.

Most of the very expensive ones are expensive due to engraving. You are paying for the art, not the shotgun.

I have held a $68,000 (1994 dollars and price) 28 ga Perazzi. It felt nice, but so did the bottom of the line plain one for a lot less.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Belgium Brownings suit me just fine
    Broadways, Citori all 12ga. in their
    nicely line cases..
    $$ on a Yenko 69 Camaro BB
    or a new 1,00hp one,or 69
    Yenko Nova BB prefer the ole
    iron muscle car....
    or on ole pan head...

and if money no object, first enough
    land for a long, long range, a house (cabin)
    and no close neighbors..

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom