• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

They are not entitled to their own facts

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    Woodbine, MD
    So what an agitated cop told you he would do you cite as fact?

Ok sure thing

LOL

I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding.
    And purely conjecture on my part.
    I was wrong, and anything I ever post on this board in the future will be wrong as well. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Here's my actual experience, not "Conjecture":

My partner and I were working on a job site in MoCoMD. Thought I had heard a couple shots in the strip of woods between there and the next neighborhood over, but wasn't 100% sure. Noisy job site, using nail guns ourselves, etc. Dismissed it.

Then, as we were up on the roof about 4 feet apart, a bullet passed right between us. Scared the crap out of us. And since the shot came right toward us, we clearly heard the report, turned and saw a couple kids in the woods with a rifle. My partner hollered, "WTF!" and they ran.

We followed after them to the spot where they were, they had dropped an old Sears .22 single shot rifle, probably from the 1940s. We decided we shouldn't leave it there, where other kids might find it, we picked it up and continued after, up the hill to where we had seen them go. We popped out of the woods into the next neighborhood, figured they had gone into one of the houses there but couldn't determine which one.

We decided to walk the long way around (on the street) back to the job site and call the police. (this was before the turn of the century, before everyone carried cell phones everywhere)

When they showed up, they were highly agitated. They said, "Oh- we've been driving around looking for you two stupid a-holes, we got a "man with a gun" call- someone walking down the street with a rifle, WTF is wrong with you- do you *want*to get shot? Because that's a pretty good way to get shot."

"Had we found you carrying a rifle down the street like an idiot, you would have ended up face down in the dirt with guns pointed at you until we sorted it out, and if you had made any "furtive movements" (there's that word again)- you would have got your ass shot."

I reminded them that we the ones who had called them, the ones who had nearly been shot, and that I didn't really expect to be cursed at by them- and they calmed down a little bit- but I think I got a pretty good idea of how they felt about it.

And this was in a nice MoCo neighborhood, not Baltimore-
    And this was a rusty old single shot .22, not an AR-15.

So, can I cite a case of a person being shot by police for carrying a rifle down the street? Nope.

Can I cite an instance of being threatened by 2 MoCo police officers with being shot (or at least being drawn down on and dealt with harshly) for doing it?
    Yep.

Maybe we can just agree that *your* experience is different than *my* experience.

And "what is the law actually?"

"Whatever the guy enforcing it right here and now says it is."

Maybe its one of those "difference between theory and practice" things

A good friend of mine who is a lawyer once told me "Jurors tend to believe survivors."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom