• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The Gingivitis Death Nails are always an excellent self-defense choice as well. Unfortunately in Maryland you're limited to ten nails however.

b1c43da4f95256509401aeea4b4230f097fe6ae58352cc2cca734b0805f18489.gif

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Well most you regurgitate things you read from internet anyway. My brother-in-law took 16 shots of 9mm to his chest still here with us. I guy i knew in high school got shot by cops in a stolen car never knew he got shot until his arrest. Finally, i knew 2 guys who got in a fight with each other. One guy shot the other 4 times and the guy shot still took the weapon from him and beat his ass and the other guy went to prison for 6 years. So you keep believing all the things you read on the internet.

16 times? Were they shot on Dr. Scalia's operating table?

The vast majority of murders in Baltimore are a lot less than 16 hits. They all must be using .40 not crappy Davis .25's, .32's, 9mm etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This isn't * A * discussion , this is more simultaneous discussions than even the perennial " How to Transport in Maryland " Threads .

* Disclaimer - I don't even like .40 *

Random true statements :

No matter how you are defining More Betterer , you can't totally generalize by calibers , as certain specific loads will overlap in particular criteria .

9mm ( with proper loads ) is reasonably effective .

9mm is a viable option for LE duty pistols

In the absolute literal sense 9mm < .40S&W < .45acp , with top performing loads for each. ( Note that I deliberately don't mention .357Sig, .357Mag, or full power 10mm )

But the differences between the above three aren't huge , are less than the variation between loads within a caliber , and buncha other factors are important in selecting Duty Pistols / calibers .

There are a zillion factors potentially in play in selecting duty pistol/ caliber , and minor terminal ballistics differences are far down the priorities of decision makers .

Cost of guns.
    Percieved training costs .
    What does XYZ Agency use ?

Could be referring to FBI , or a large state or local agency with regional influence , or even smaller neighboring agencies . ( Few agencies will select unique choices in a vacuum . I've heard direct quotes to the effect of " oh yeah , who uses xyz Around Here ? " )

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Well most you regurgitate things you read from internet anyway. My brother-in-law took 16 shots of 9mm to his chest still here with us. I guy i knew in high school got shot by cops in a stolen car never knew he got shot until his arrest. Finally, i knew 2 guys who got in a fight with each other. One guy shot the other 4 times and the guy shot still took the weapon from him and beat his ass and the other guy went to prison for 6 years. So you keep believing all the things you read on the internet.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Our Herpetoligist friend is recycling 3 generations of .45 Hardball folklore , with a substitution of .40 for .45 .

The .45acp is not sure whether to be flattered, or insulted .

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    I've carried duty handguns in both 9mm and .40 S&W and I would go with the .40 S&W any day of the week.

The difference in recoil between the two rounds is insignificant in my opinion. In my experience Police recruits who have trouble shooting a handgun in .40 S&W have trouble mastering the fundamentals for the following reasons:

a) the wrong mindset
    b) failure to follow instructions
    c) poor quality of instruction

A lot of new Officers have never used a firearm at any point in their life and they're either scared of the weapon or think they know it all. When they get out on the range the results are predictable. In some cases, performance suffers due to poor instructor quality but that's the exception rather than the rule. It boils down to a lack of determination and arrogance. My wife is tiny and she was able to successfully qualify with a Glock 22 during her Academy training. If she can do it, any able bodied person can. The argument that the .40 S&W is unfair to women and small framed men is BS. It's an excuse for poor recruits and/or poor instructors. The Glock 22 and similar pistols are not self propelled artillery pieces.

I've been involved in and/or responded to quite a few Police involved shootings. I've seen the results of the .40 S&W first hand. It's performance is exceptional, in all respects as good as can be expected from any non-exotic pistol caliber cartridge. Barrier penetration is excellent. For civilians, that may not be a consideration but for Police, your round has to reliably punch through car doors and auto glass. My particular agency ditched the Glock 17 for a number of reasons, one of which was because the Winchester Ranger ammunition it was using was failing to incapacitate suspects even with head shots. We had several instances where offenders were shot in the face at close range and were able to continue fighting. No such performance has been observed since the transition to 40 S&W. We see much the same result in criminal gunfights. Serious felons are carrying handguns chambered for .40 S&W and .45ACP. Do we see homicides where the victim was shot with a .380 or a 9mm? Yes but with Doctor Scalea and his team at Shock Trauma the numbers are steadily declining. Most of the victims I see hit with smaller cartridges are making it to the hospital and surviving. Those hit with the 40 S&W and .45ACP are being instantly incapacitated and dying where they fall. Shot placement is a factor but so is caliber. Far more victims who are shot in the head with .380s are surviving than victims shot in the head with .40s.

When I went from a 9mm to a .40 I was skeptical but I've come to love the round. I would hate to go back to 9mm.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I've carried duty handguns in both 9mm and .40 S&W and I would go with the .40 S&W any day of the week.

The difference in recoil between the two rounds is insignificant in my opinion. In my experience Police recruits who have trouble shooting a handgun in .40 S&W have trouble mastering the fundamentals for the following reasons:

a) the wrong mindset
    b) failure to follow instructions
    c) poor quality of instruction

A lot of new Officers have never used a firearm at any point in their life and they're either scared of the weapon or think they know it all. When they get out on the range the results are predictable. In some cases, performance suffers due to poor instructor quality but that's the exception rather than the rule. It boils down to a lack of determination and arrogance. My wife is tiny and she was able to successfully qualify with a Glock 22 during her Academy training. If she can do it, any able bodied person can. The argument that the .40 S&W is unfair to women and small framed men is BS. It's an excuse for poor recruits and/or poor instructors. The Glock 22 and similar pistols are not self propelled artillery pieces.

I've been involved in and/or responded to quite a few Police involved shootings. I've seen the results of the .40 S&W first hand. It's performance is exceptional, in all respects as good as can be expected from any non-exotic pistol caliber cartridge. Barrier penetration is excellent. For civilians, that may not be a consideration but for Police, your round has to reliably punch through car doors and auto glass. My particular agency ditched the Glock 17 for a number of reasons, one of which was because the Winchester Ranger ammunition it was using was failing to incapacitate suspects even with head shots. We had several instances where offenders were shot in the face at close range and were able to continue fighting. No such performance has been observed since the transition to 40 S&W. We see much the same result in criminal gunfights. Serious felons are carrying handguns chambered for .40 S&W and .45ACP. Do we see homicides where the victim was shot with a .380 or a 9mm? Yes but with Doctor Scalea and his team at Shock Trauma the numbers are steadily declining. Most of the victims I see hit with smaller cartridges are making it to the hospital and surviving. Those hit with the 40 S&W and .45ACP are being instantly incapacitated and dying where they fall. Shot placement is a factor but so is caliber. Far more victims who are shot in the head with .380s are surviving than victims shot in the head with .40s.

When I went from a 9mm to a .40 I was skeptical but I've come to love the round. I would hate to go back to 9mm.

Hmm, experience and knowledge speaking...may have to check .40 out.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    So I'm not able to get much into details, but my department just traded all our Glock .40s for Glock 9s. We had some failures that led to accidental discharges, Glock replaced them ALL without question. It turns out that the .40 created a lot of pressure, leading to premature part failures.

Our department firearms and swat tested caliber rounds and came to the conclusion that the speer g2 9mm penetrated better and expanded better than our federal hydrashock .40. Whether it's true or not, who knows. Officers carried 6 shot .38 revolvers shortly before I came on... having 15 or 17 rounds of 9mm is a vast improvement in my mind.

Shot placement and rounds on target are far more important to me than a slightly larger caliber. Hopefully this is all for naught for me, as I hope and pray to never shoot anything besides paper or steel targets!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When I was a federal law enforcement officer I spent most of my years issued a S&W Model 64 .38 Special...I never felt underarmed with it and was very confident of my abilities with it. When I changed agencies I was issued a S&W 4046 .40 caliber. I liked the round...hated the pistol. I called it the S&W "Boat Anchor" model. Everyone who was issued that pistol saw their previous scores with a revolver go down...it was a more difficult handgun to shoot well. I would have gladly traded it for my previous S&W revolver...but I wasn't given the opportunity...the only choice was single-stack or double-stack.

It doesn't always come down to caliber. I would have preferred a .45 but that's just me. I think a law enforcement agency can write a good firearms policy where a officer can provide his or her personally owned handgun within certain parameters and still be liability compliant for the agency.

In the end, regardless of caliber...9mm, ,38, .40, 10mm, .45...it comes down to marksmanship. A hit with a .38 is better than a loud miss with a .44 Magnum...only hits count. While there are differences between different calibers and different loadings within each caliber...you have to hit the target first in a spot that can cause immediate stopping of the criminal act.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Its odd to me how each county, town, and city has some one person (or committee) who selects a gun and caliber and how many come up with answers different from other departments with the exact same criteria. On top of that, you'd think that that particular decision making person (or committee) is pretty much the smartest guy in the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom