• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StanW

Hooligan #8
    Dec 18, 2012
    Western MD
    Getting geared up for .338 Lapua Mag

Anyone reloading .338 Lapua? I'm starting to collect the equipment but not sure what to use to trim the cases. I usually use a Lee hand trimmer and a Corona but it doesn't look like they make one. I'm on a bit of a budget was hoping to avoid the $100 trimmers, although it may be time to fork out for one.

As for the dies, any issues with Lyman's? They have a 3 die set the includes the neck and full-length dies.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you are on a budget, why are you shooting .338 Lapua??????

:D

I like my World's Finest Trimmer for my rifle brass. Not .338, at least not yet.

Also, you might not have to trim for a few firings, so in on a budget, wait until you need it.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    If you are on a budget, why are you shooting .338 Lapua??????

:D

Budget with a 338 Lapua...okay.. sorry, reloading for the big boys, sorta doesn't equal to a idea of budget, not trying to be smart, load the 50 BMG and see the powder just disappear rather quickly... anyway currently use a Forster Case Trimmer, just picked up another one via Flea-bay. and ammo is rather expensive, look around and you shall find some cheaper.

As far as dies the Redding 3 die set ( buy once, cry once )

Have fun and enjoy it, people will notice when you "touch" one off.;)

if memory serves me correctly, there was a person on FB (Redeye Reloading) that had some loaded
    ammo for sale. While I don't really care for FB, can find some good deals.
    Also check out Flea-bay, there are / were several case trimmers on there some NIB, some in excellent
    condition, just a thought.

-Rock

enya60h

Dec 10, 2011

give me a pm i can help you out been reloading 338 lapua 4 or 5 years now, have been to ed shells class 5 or 6 times now, fill in for him when i can. i break targets everytime(i have 2 that i feed) can help you out with where to find brass also ,as long as you dont mind no headstamp. i get it direct

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Anyone reloading .338 Lapua? I'm starting to collect the equipment but not sure what to use to trim the cases. I usually use a Lee hand trimmer and a Corona but it doesn't look like they make one. I'm on a bit of a budget was hoping to avoid the $100 trimmers, although it may be time to fork out for one.

As for the dies, any issues with Lyman's? They have a 3 die set the includes the neck and full-length dies.

On a budget?? Okay then get a Lee challenger Breach Lock Kit. On sale
    at midwayusa $112.70 and has all you need. Lee set of 3 dies are $31.99

Lyman a great but $66.99 Get your powder, bullets and primers in Pa or Va
    at better prices than anywhere in Md.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I just ordered dies and shell holder for my 338. I've been through many many rounds the last 2 trips to the range and 338 is $$ so I'll be starting to reload my own.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I just ordered dies and shell holder for my 338. I've been through many many rounds the last 2 trips to the range and 338 is $$ so I'll be starting to reload my own.

Did you order a single stag kit and dies? What powder and bullet are you starting with? Just out of curiosity!!:)

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I've been shooting 338 lapua for awhile when it comes to brass buy once cry once. I only shoot lapua brass it's worth it. I also invested in an annealer for the brass. Got to pay to play!

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I've been shooting 338 lapua for awhile when it comes to brass buy once cry once. I only shoot lapua brass it's worth it. I also invested in an annealer for the brass. Got to pay to play!

I've thought about this 338 for years. What is your reload receipt and cost per 20 rounds?

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Did you order a single stag kit and dies? What powder and bullet are you starting with? Just out of curiosity!!:)

I have a single stage RCBS press. I ordered RCBS dies for the 338 and a #48 shellholder. I'm currently using my press for 308 so I already had the reloading setup. I bought Winchester WLRM primers and some 250 grain Hornady HPBT. I bought Viht N560 powder

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Alright, I did a search and found this thread. So, I am dredging it back up. Looks like I am getting back into reloading since I have a .338LM now and a 6.5Cm on order. Reloading for the 6.5CM will not be too terrible cost wise. The .338LM is a different story.

Now, where are you guys finding the best deal on .338LM cases?

What are you using for bullets? 250gr Sierra Match King, or is there something better?

Probably going to go with RCBS dies.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Alright, I did a search and found this thread. So, I am dredging it back up. Looks like I am getting back into reloading since I have a .338LM now and a 6.5Cm on order. Reloading for the 6.5CM will not be too terrible cost wise. The .338LM is a different story.

Now, where are you guys finding the best deal on .338LM cases?

What are you using for bullets? 250gr Sierra Match King, or is there something better?

Probably going to go with RCBS dies.

I've upgraded my setup. I'm using a Redding competition die set and shell holders.

I'm also using Lapua 250g bthp bullets

Brass is Hornady that I was shooting factory loads with. I found some PRVI brass for 20 something dollars for 20 rounds that I picked up. Lapua brass and the hornady brass was 60 plus for 20 cases.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have been using Whidden dies for my precision .308.

Nice product, great people to deal with.

I would buy for any precision round.

https://www.whiddengunworks.com/product/click-bushing-full-length-die-set/

Those dies look awesome. Have you used Redding dies before and view these as better, or just these above RCBS, Lee, etc. As it is, I think I am leaning toward these versus the RCBS or Redding dies after reading what they are like. Price tag is steep, but then there is the buy once, cry once thing there. Also have a rifle coming in 6.5CM, so I am going to have to start looking for dies for that too. This precision stuff can get exxxxxxxxxxxxxxpensive.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've upgraded my setup. I'm using a Redding competition die set and shell holders.

I'm also using Lapua 250g bthp bullets

Brass is Hornady that I was shooting factory loads with. I found some PRVI brass for 20 something dollars for 20 rounds that I picked up. Lapua brass and the hornady brass was 60 plus for 20 cases.

Yeah, I have been debating whether to go with Lapua brass for precision rounds. Seems as though a lot of people swear by it. Might end up using Lapua for the .338LM and 6.5CM in the RPR.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Lapua brass is the most consistent brass from my experience. If you are purchasing lapua brass in 6.5CM, try to find the small primer brass.

You can probably get away with Forster dies, much less than whidden and really decent. I would get the dies with a "micro seater" which easily adjusts seating depths. Its not necessary but makes load testing easier. Once you find the "right seating depth" you usually leave it until the throat erodes and your chasing the lands.

I think overall sierra MKs work well, the like to jump to the lands typically where as berger likes to be seated in the lands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom