• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blake_7.62

Oct 17, 2010
    Eh, they are also one of the few big corporations that pay a decent wage to their employees ($17/hour), and provide medical benefits, and the CEO/ co-founder Craig Jelinek insists on only accepting $550k a year in income. He has often refused to do many things that would have added to both the company's bottom line, and his own. He has the attitude that his employees and their quality of life are as important as quarterly profits. As long the company is profitable, and he makes a good income; there is no reason to screw people over to try and maximize his and the company's bottom line.
    So, sorry, that trumps the company's anti-2a stance in my book. If every company operated this way (instead of only a handful), I might actually buy into the, Free-Market ramblings I often hear from libertarians.

I couldn’t give a shit that the CEO is a “Nice guy” or wants to run to his company like Willy f@cking Wonka.

To me, him not respecting my constitutional rights TRUMPS anything else.

However, seeing as though I have some of those Libertarian leaning ramblings, he is free to make his choice, and so am I. That’s the awesome thing about America; no one holds a gun to your head and forces you to take a job somewhere you don’t want to work.

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    Eh, they are also one of the few big corporations that pay a decent wage to their employees ($17/hour), and provide medical benefits, and the CEO/ co-founder Craig Jelinek insists on only accepting $550k a year in income. He has often refused to do many things that would have added to both the company's bottom line, and his own. He has the attitude that his employees and their quality of life are as important as quarterly profits. As long the company is profitable, and he makes a good income; there is no reason to screw people over to try and maximize his and the company's bottom line.
    So, sorry, that trumps the company's anti-2a stance in my book. If every company operated this way (instead of only a handful), I might actually buy into the, Free-Market ramblings I often hear from libertarians.

If you don't resist the anti-2A group at every opportunity, then you aren't a supporter either.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    They rate BJ's an A, I spend my money there.

Wow, I wonder if you really intended that. Not touching that one.

Anywho.... Why didn't anyone tell me this earlier today???? I finally recouped from purchases and went to Costco today and dropped a bundle!!

Am dropping my membership Monday with a phone call and switching to BJ's (even though that name gets me every time)!

*** October 1, 2013: Day of Infringement ***

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Of just as much if not bigger concern, were companies on that site's NRA list of anti-2A companies on another page. It included, inter alia,

- Hallmark Cards; and, ironically,

- Levi Strauss & Co.. If you shouldn't buy Levi's, who can you trust for jeans?

My jeans are Carhartt. $30 nowadays, but bought 6 pairs 5 years ago for $25 each. Wearing a pair right now.

I am seriously pissed about Costco. We have been spending tons of money there for around 9 years now and my membership just renewed last month. I would assume that Sam's would be 2nd Amendment neutral, if not friendly, but BJ's it is. I think there is actually one right down the road from our closest Costco. Bought several sets of tires from Costco too. Hope BJ's does tires or it will be Tire Rack for me and mounting by the local repair shop I like.

I am going to have to check out that website and see what other businesses I have to scratch off the list. Might have to be a January 1 review every year from now on.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

I have to wonder if Bloomberg is the same way? If he treats his employees as well as Mr. Jelinek does, would you give Bloomberg a big hug too. Of course, if Bloomberg ran Costco, nothing with sugar or trans fat would be on the shelves. Has he tried to ban anything else that I missed?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Alright, I just read the reason on that website that Costco is supposedly anti 2nd Amendment. It is solely because they will not allow members, employees, etc. to bring guns into the warehouses, and this is a world wide policy. Yeah, I can understand the policy. Bank of American, who I actually do not like, also had an anti-2nd amendment rating for the same reason. Honestly, I don't want every client of mine seeing me with a gun strapped to their side either. I guess I am anti-2nd Amendment too then. Would have never guessed that to be the case. Hard to believe that bars and churches are anti-2nd Amendment too.

Now, in my book if a business is donating to the Brady Campaign or taking a straight out anti-2nd Amendment approach like Bloomberg, then that is a different story as far as I am concerned.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Interesting thread, BJ's, Levi's, tuna...Willy f~€& Wonka (now that was funny)!

I don't go where I'm not welcome, so I'll avoid Costcos, thanks for the notice.

Levi's was American, they sold out years ago.
    Roger Ebert died yesterday at age 70.

I think I'm a Liberitarian, or maybe a Constitutionalist; socially liberal and fiscally conservative; yep, American. :)

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/10/17/glenn-beck-jeans/

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Like I'm gong to stop going to Costco. Right. :rolleyes:
    How many people who said they weren't going to have chick-fil-a have enjoyed their delicious sandwich again?

Sent from somewhere in the world.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Alright, I just read the reason on that website that Costco is supposedly anti 2nd Amendment. It is solely because they will not allow members, employees, etc. to bring guns into the warehouses, and this is a world wide policy. Yeah, I can understand the policy. Bank of American, who I actually do not like, also had an anti-2nd amendment rating for the same reason. Honestly, I don't want every client of mine seeing me with a gun strapped to their side either. I guess I am anti-2nd Amendment too then. Would have never guessed that to be the case. Hard to believe that bars and churches are anti-2nd Amendment too.

Now, in my book if a business is donating to the Brady Campaign or taking a straight out anti-2nd Amendment approach like Bloomberg, then that is a different story as far as I am concerned.

IMO some of the ratings on that site aren't quite accurate, they do a decent job showing the corporate policies, but not instances or practices that go above the "no weapons" policies. Seems Costco just prohibits weapons on their property, and they bury that policy on their site, so unless there are some big incidents I don't know about, they might not be quite the boycott worthy devil hey are made out to be. Now Bank of America is an entirely different story, I agree fully with a boycott there, they prohibit weapons on their property, but that is only the beginning, they will not open accounts for any firearm related buisnesses, have declined valid transactions because a customer was purchasing a firearm, and have closed accounts without consent because people were dealing in firearms. There are dozens, perhaps hundreds of examples floating around, and BoA usually stands behind these decisions with open hostility for us, they do fund anti-gun organizations, and work to fight us.

Now for comparison, my bank PNC has treated me like royalty, has a lot of web and mobile based account tools, welcomes law abiding carry OC or CC, and has earned my buisness for life provided they keep up the good work, they are ranked an A on that list. In many cases there are companies with an "A" rating that prohibit employees from carrying on the job, that isn't as big of an issue as a policy banning customers from carrying where legal. In many states these policies do carry legal weight, a customer would have to disarm in the parking lot before entering to shop, which is ridiculous. Many churches go beyond the "no weapons in a house of god" thing, they preach aggainst weapons, aggainst self defense, fund anti-gun organizations, or are involved in activities that define them as an anti-gun organization, F-them.
    I don't want every client of mine seeing me with a gun strapped to their side either.
    not sure exactly what you meant, but if you don't think it is appropriate to OC around clients, then don't that should be your choice, but if you don't want your clients carrying around you, and create policy to those means, that is an affront to their rights.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

Now for comparison, my bank PNC has treated me like royalty, has a lot of web and mobile based account tools, welcomes law abiding carry OC or CC, and has earned my buisness for life provided they keep up the good work, they are ranked an A on that list. ...

Looks like COSTCO does sell gun lock boxes and such.

oos350-669683-847__1.jpg

And they are wise enough to post a little disclaimer: *Before using this product to transport any firearm or mount in any type of vehicle, make sure you are conforming to all applicable local, state and federal laws.

Now why pray tell, would COSTCO not have the same good sense with regard to their weapons policy? Why not just say, follow all applicable laws; because after all, the law is different all over. But instead, they make a statement by saying it's their global policy, and the only exception is for law enforcement. Here's their policy:
    Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

How does disarming a law abiding citizen who already carry's make them 'safer' when they have to leave their firearm in their car to shop there? The gun is less likely to be stolen if it is on the individual and not left outside in a car. If a mass shooting started in a COSTCO you were visiting, would your rather be armed, or unarmed for your 'protection'? Do they really think a deranged individual who is already determined to kill as many people as possible and expects to die themselves is going to follow a policy or obey such laws?

Why would COSTCO have such a policy?

Answer: It is part of the agenda to deamonize guns and gun owners.

COSTCO supports Obama:
    "Sinegal’s [COSTCO co-founder] support for Obama does not come as a surprise. A longtime and generous Democratic donor, he maxed out his personal financial contribution to Obama in 2008 and will host the president Tuesday at his Hunts Point, Wash., home for two high-dollar fundraisers for the 2012 campaign. Sinegal also publicly advocated for Obama’s health care law at the height of debate in 2009."
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...im-sinegal-backs-president-obama-on-business/

Biden supports COSTCO, because 97% of COSTCO donations go to Democrates:
    BIDEN GOES TO COSTCO: Yesterday Vice President Joe Biden attended the opening of the first COSTCO Wholesale store in the District of Columbia. NPR reported details of his shopping experience there and his calls for middle class tax cuts.

Employees of COSTCO Wholesale, founded by Jim Sinegal, gave more than $76,000 to federal candidates in the 2012 election cycle. Democrats pulled in a full 97 percent of those contributions, according to Center For Responsive Politics data. About $285,000 from COSTCO workers went to PACs, parties, and outside spending groups.

Thirteen members of Congress own shares of COSTCO. Of those thirteen, COSTCO was a top contributor this election year to Democratic Rep. Jim McDermott, whose home state of Washington is where COSTCO got its start.
    http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2012/11/capital-eye-opener-nov-30-lobbying.html

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.

I'm with ya!

rh92

Mar 2, 2013
    Rockville

+1

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    ...and the CEO/ co-founder Craig Jelinek insists on only accepting $550k a year in income. ...

Oh, you mean this Craig Jelinek; the one that donates so much that Biden thanks him in person.

512x.jpg

MSNBC isn't reporting the news they are directly and overly lobbying for a minimum wage increase.

They open their report with a video clip of Nancy Pelosi, that should make it clear where they stand.

I kid you not, see for yourself: http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/03/08/costco-ceo-wants-minimum-wage-hike-to-10-plus/

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Looks like COSTCO does sell gun lock boxes and such.

oos350-669683-847__1.jpg

And they are wise enough to post a little disclaimer: *Before using this product to transport any firearm or mount in any type of vehicle, make sure you are conforming to all applicable local, state and federal laws.

Now why pray tell, would COSTCO not have the same good sense with regard to their weapons policy? Why not just say, follow all applicable laws; because after all, the law is different all over. But instead, they make a statement by saying it's their global policy, and the only exception is for law enforcement. Here's their policy:
    Costco does not believe that it is necessary for firearms to be brought into its warehouse stores, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers. For the protection of all our members and employees, we feel this is a reasonable and prudent precaution to ensure a pleasant shopping experience and safe workplace. Our policy is meant to protect our members and employees in all warehouses around the world. This is not a new policy and we do not customize the policy for each individual city/county/state/country where we do business.

How does disarming a law abiding citizen who already lawfully carry's a firearm for protection, 'safer' when they have to leave their firearm in their car to shop there? The gun is less likely to be stolen if it is on the individual and not left outside in a car. If a mass shooting started in a COSTCO you were visiting, would your rather be armed, or unarmed for your 'protection'? Do they really think a deranged individual who is already determined to kill as many people as possible and expects to die themselves is going to follow a policy or obey such laws?

So I ask again, why would COSTCO have such a policy?

Answer: It is part of the agenda to deamonize guns and gun owners.

COSTCO supports Obama:
    "Sinegal’s [COSTCO co-founder] support for Obama does not come as a surprise. A longtime and generous Democratic donor, he maxed out his personal financial contribution to Obama in 2008 and will host the president Tuesday at his Hunts Point, Wash., home for two high-dollar fundraisers for the 2012 campaign. Sinegal also publicly advocated for Obama’s health care law at the height of debate in 2009."
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...im-sinegal-backs-president-obama-on-business/

Biden supports COSTCO, because 97% of COSTCO donations go to Democrates:
    BIDEN GOES TO COSTCO: Yesterday Vice President Joe Biden attended the opening of the first COSTCO Wholesale store in the District of Columbia. NPR reported details of his shopping experience there and his calls for middle class tax cuts.

Employees of COSTCO Wholesale, founded by Jim Sinegal, gave more than $76,000 to federal candidates in the 2012 election cycle. Democrats pulled in a full 97 percent of those contributions, according to Center For Responsive Politics data. About $285,000 from COSTCO workers went to PACs, parties, and outside spending groups.

Thirteen members of Congress own shares of COSTCO. Of those thirteen, COSTCO was a top contributor this election year to Democratic Rep. Jim McDermott, whose home state of Washington is where COSTCO got its start.
    http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2012/11/capital-eye-opener-nov-30-lobbying.html

So basically they are anti-gun socialist, but are nice about it, so they are cool:rolleyes: I see it a differnt way, less about the emotion and fervor of a boycott, and more about supporting my rights, or at least not supporting the a-holes trying to turn me into a criminal for excercising them. I have a family, decent job, but still a limited budget, but donate and support causes that promote a way of life I want to pass down to my kids, and 2A rights and a lifestyle of armed freedom is central to that. Even so, I may spend more in one trip to a store than I will donate to pro-gun groups in a year. If that buisness donates a fraction of those profits I provide to a political or social cause that opposes my own phlosophy, then I am basically negating my own efforts, and logically could save a ton of money, and end up with the same ratio of pro-rights to commie bastard funding if I donated nothing to my favored organizations, and simply shop elsewhere. In the case of a pro-freedom organization like PNC bank who donates heavily(but not exclusively) to the RNC, I can patronize a buisness that offers services I need, AND some of those proffits go to causes I support anyway, this is a easy, low cost, and efficient way to fund causes I belive in. To me, undoing my efforts, and supporting a BS commie agenda through a proxy buisness is not worth some good tuna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom