• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    What is special about the salt?

It's a specific mix with a lower melting point and I think it also has no harmful fumes as long as you keep it under a certain temp (1050 F I think but dont quote me).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I always knew military rounds were annealed because you can see the discoloration ( they don't buff it out after loading) Any reason one couldn't just get a pan of water, submerge the cases up to the shoulder and hit them with a blowtorch?

Also, I assume this is only a benefit with bottleneck cartridges?

It can help straight walled cases from splitting, but typically not worth the effort, as by the time they split, the primer pockets are getting loose.

You can do it that way, but you don't even need to do that. As you do NOT want to overheat the body and base, you can hold them. The issue is getting the temp correct, time after time after time. Too little and you accomplish nothing but wasting your time. Too much, you make the brass too soft and ruin the case.

Thus the salt bath, which is a constant temp, or the automatic systems that expose the case to the heating source (torch or induction heater) for a specific amount of time, consistantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom