• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Just bought a Delton 316H from an IP.
    I want to put either a red dot on it or just a folding buis. It comes as a flat top with no rear sight and the standard post in the front.
    Do either of them have to be higher on the rail to be able to comfortably lean my cheek against the rifle and see or can I use whatever regular height is.
    I bout a scope for an AR once and the rings were too short. I could not squish my face enough against the rifle to see through the scope.
    Am looking for one of these kinds of sights.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Most red dots have "infinite" eye relief. You can have them anywhere along the flat top. In terms of cheek weld, it just depends on the stock and how it fits with your face and cheek bones. Most people want a small riser under their dot when using a mil spec stock. Look at the Holosun dots. They come with both a low mount and high mount included in the package so you can test both out and use the one you prefer.

The BUIS you would just put in the rear-most picatinny slot. You shouldn't have any eye relief issues.

RDF5186

Feb 26, 2012
    HARFORD CO
    My Vortex Sparc cane with different size risers to accommodate different size users. Plus a lifetime transferable warranty and great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    When looking at optic mounts, view images of Absolute and lower 1/3 to see what height and sight picture you like. That is if you run both buis and optic.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I usually mount my red dots either all the way forward on the upper(and do not bridge between upper and handguard) or centered over the ejection port.
    As GGG said, BUIS usually goes all the way back on the last couple slots to the rear on the receiver.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I'll be listing a Vortex Strikefire II red dot sight on here tomorrow, soon after I get to work and resize the pictures. It is the low mount, not the cantilever mount, but I had it on a 3/4" riser, which actually made it co-witness with my flip up front and rear rail mount Magpul buis, which I'd also probably sell...

For some reason, I can see a 20 dollar red dot perfecty, but not a Vortex or EOtech, or any other mid priced decent red dot...from what I have read, I probably have astigmatism

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Here is my setup with the Holo Sun RDS. The BUIS co-witness perfectly with the red dot.

i-mcw9ddN-L.jpg

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Just bought a Delton 316H from an IP.
    I want to put either a red dot on it or just a folding buis. It comes as a flat top with no rear sight and the standard post in the front.
    Do either of them have to be higher on the rail to be able to comfortably lean my cheek against the rifle and see or can I use whatever regular height is.
    I bout a scope for an AR once and the rings were too short. I could not squish my face enough against the rifle to see through the scope.
    Am looking for one of these kinds of sights.

tvblogshock.png

Okay, all the things above seems a bit confusing to me. So, it's a standard AR with a fixed post front sight? I have three Aimpoints. A PRO on a basic Colt. The riser that came with it is fine. The Magpul MOE colt also with the fixed front sight, has the tall, "above line of sight", the boxy one, Larue QD, to just look over the sightpost,,, and a magpul BUIS. The complete flat top, also T2, has the shorter, "line of sight" that matches the the Troy folding BUIS sights.
    https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.ujDfCl7ANpLRRIAPGvKA7gEsDH&pid=15.1

The Eotechs are "line of sight", so they are on AR's without fixed front sights and have folding Troy BUIS.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I believe the front sight can be different heights. traditionally referred to as F height (being the taller height used on shorter uppers). You should consider this. also consider that you can replace the front sight post with different heights.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We are not far from each other going by your trust engraving. Do you shoot at Damascus IWLA?

Huh, I've actually been thinking of joining there. Been once, I liked it. I just have to find the spare time, I know a few members so I imagine I could get a sponsor.

On mounts, my 2 cents, but a PEPR is built really well, but it is heavy. A little over 8 ounces and also $100. Aerotech ultralight is also a cantelivered mount, it weighs 3 ounces and comes in at about $70.

Just a thought.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I have my Aimpoint mounted on my Daniel Defense V1M4 (has front post sight and fixed rear sight), using a LaRue quick detach mount. It co-witnesses with my sights. Call LaRue and they will help you. They are expensive, but the best. Their customer service is great too.

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpg
      IMG_0258.jpg
      85.9 KB · Views: 155

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads