• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tony7815

Feb 11, 2016
    I recently bought a 1916 Spanish Mauser in 308Win all the serial numbers match and it has a very nice trigger. This is the first Spanish Mauser that I have fired but have fired other Mauser actions recently. I estimate the effort to close the bolt on this Spanish Mauser is at least 3 times greater. The effort is the same whether chambering a round or not. I have disassembled the bolt with the spring compressed and there is space between each coil so it may be a matter of the spring being too strong and not too long. The bolt moves freely and easily until the spring begins to compress.

Also the sights begin at 300 meters so any suggestions on after market rear sights or taller front sights.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The spring tension needs to be just heavy enough to give reliable ignition and not so light that it will drop below 4 pounds so there is not enough sear engagement pressure which will result in an unintended discharge. The number of turns (coils) or the diameter of the wire is not as important as the spring not getting a S shape when it is compressed. If it gets to far from the pin body it can drag inside the bolt. If its a 93 or 95 action be sure to check headspace. Those actions are designed for low pressure cartridges and get lug set back. So if the problem is also happening when the bolt is being closed drop a gauge in it. Someone might have monkeyed with the spring in an attempt to rectify a to much head-space problem to get it to light off. Cetme cartridges are a little lower pressure than the 308 win. A 93 or 95 bolt does not have the additional safety lug witch is a holdover from the black powder days. Im just conservative and safety conscience because you did not mention what action type you have. If its a M98 and Spanish made the same goes but not as prevalent. CETME and 308win are two different critters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom