• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Don't confuse Wolf Gold with their steel cased ammo.

Wolf Gold is probably some the best ammo for the price. It is brass cased. More accurate than Tula or Wolf steel cased. I put 30 rounds of it, in the 10 spot at 50 yards using just iron sights. Here is the picture if you do not believe me.

Not saying it is match grade, however the OP asked for good PLINKING ammo....
    Yeah after looking it up, the steel cased is what was causing issues. I'll have to invest in some Wolf Gold then. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Yeah after looking it up, the steel cased is what was causing issues. I'll have to invest in some Wolf Gold then. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Wolf Gold is good ammo. I expect you will be pleased with it if you choose to make a purchase. I stockpiled a good amount of it in 2014-2016 as part of my campaign to not get caught flat footed by ammo shortages ever again, and after several thousand rounds I remain pleased. I am still scarred by the four years that all my .22lr rifles spent as expensive paperweights because of Democrats and my poor planning. Never again. Looks like we are safe for a few years, but it is important to remain vigilant . . .

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I stockpiled a good amount of it in 2014-2016 as part of my campaign to not get caught flat footed by ammo shortages ever again, and after several thousand rounds I remain pleased. I am still scarred by the four years that all my .22lr rifles spent as expensive paperweights because of Democrats and my poor planning. Never again. Looks like we are safe for a few years, but it is important to remain vigilant . . .

Several of us feel the same way. I do anyway. Won't get caught flat footed again.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I would avoid Freedom Munitions remanufactured. I witnessed a blowout at Delmarva last summer. It blew out the mag in the AR, sending shards of plastic into the arm of the shooter. It deformed the lower to the point where it is no longer usable. The upper was deformed to the point that the BCG was seized so badly that repeated mortaring couldn't unbind it. The severity of the incident convinced me to never trust Freedom Munitions remanufactured ammo.

Can you explain what the blowout is? This sounds really serious if caused by ammunition? What would cause this?
    Thanks!

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Can you explain what the blowout is? This sounds really serious if caused by ammunition? What would cause this?
    Thanks!

Overpressure from overcharging the case or using the wrong powder could cause this. OOB, out of spec dimensions, or bad primers alone wouldn't deform both halves of the receiver. A search online later showed that their .223 remanufactured ammo did occasionally cause issues.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I know there are a good number of Freedom Munitions patrons amoung members so don't take this personally. What we are hearing of is not one or two isolated incidents rehashed over and over. Any ammo company should not be having issues we are hearing about as frequently as Freedom does. With the AR incident, does Freedom only use once fired brass not fired in field gauge head spaced guns? I have been offered a coupoe of good deals on Freedom's ammunition, no brainer type deals except for the name on the box. I passed. Maybe in the future. Just putting it out there...

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Wolf Gold is good ammo. I expect you will be pleased with it if you choose to make a purchase. I stockpiled a good amount of it in 2014-2016 as part of my campaign to not get caught flat footed by ammo shortages ever again, and after several thousand rounds I remain pleased. I am still scarred by the four years that all my .22lr rifles spent as expensive paperweights because of Democrats and my poor planning. Never again. Looks like we are safe for a few years, but it is important to remain vigilant . . .

There wasn't a time that I was every "completely" out of .22, however came really close.

I think once I was within 50 rounds of going broke. Not unlike you, even though we likely won't see any runs on ammo in the next 4 years, I too took the learning and stocked up.

Love me some Federal Automatch. Runs in my 15-22 and my 10/22s.......

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    How much ammo does the average person on this forum have stashed away?

About 6k 22lr, 2k .223/5.56, 500 .308/7.62 and maybe 400 12/20ga include target loads. At some point I wouldn't mind doubling all of those numbers. Could careless over that. It probably represents 5 years of shooting (other than the shotgun target stuff) to go through all of it.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    For me I favor heavily toward US made ammo. The reality is I don't shoot as much as I would like so I wouldn't save tbat much money.

I also try to buy from my LGS if its reasonable. I have found that they tend to match or beat the online distributors when it comes to higher quality ammo.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For me I favor heavily toward US made ammo. The reality is I don't shoot as much as I would like so I wouldn't save tbat much money.

I also try to buy from my LGS if its reasonable. I have found that they tend to match or beat the online distributors when it comes to higher quality ammo.

On the former, I save a fair amount on foreign ammo (IMI, PMC and PPU) vs US...sometimes. But my big thing is brass vs steel cased. I am not a member of a range right now and 1 of the 2 ranges that are a reasonable drive for me don't allow steel jacketed ammo, which is what most steel cased ammo also happens to be.

well, that and I've found IMI actually outshoots federal for me. At least in the one AR I've got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom