• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    I have a small pistol range at my home. I have family members, close friends and neighbors who occasionally come over and partake.
    I was looking for a poster that showed my "Rules / Etiquette" that I could put up.
    I can use "WORD" to make my own and get it laminated but was looking for something already done up. Does anybody know of anything that exists?

Last edited:

Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    I don't have anything personally, but it may be worth trying a local shooting range. They may have extras of the ones they use that they may be willing to sell you for a few bucks. If they don't, maybe they can tell you where to look.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    The NRA has some posters on safety rules... not so sure about proper etiquette, though.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Your house, your rules, I think you will have to make it. Post the safety rules first.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    shooting-range-rules-color.jpg

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    This may help. You can buy the signs already made. Probably not what you're looking for, but some may help.

Good Luck!

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I'm fortunate enough that a fellow MDS member allows Chevellnut and i to use his range.

As for etiquette, basic things like picking up behind you and leaving the range in the same condition (if not better) than when you arrived is very important.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What D C-W posted will cover general safety rules.

Procedures and specific conditions at your private Range you will need to formulate yourself.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm fortunate enough that a fellow MDS member allows Chevellnut and i to use his range.

As for etiquette, basic things like picking up behind you and leaving the range in the same condition (if not better) than when you arrived is very important.

THIS!!!!! Whenever I shoot, I do my level best to scrounge my own brass. If somebody left their brass there from an earlier session, I pick it up too.

Generally, leaving a private range looking like a war zone is the fastest way, not to be invited back.

I help keep a friend's range clean, whenever I go over there, even if it is not to shoot. His brother shoots there too and leaves spent brass, spent shotgun hulls, and destroyed targets all over the place. I spend some time picking up everything before I shoot. I also put a tarp down for my spent brass to land on, so it doesn't find its way into the lawn mower tires. I leave no trace of me every being there. Guess who has an open invitation to shoot and who has to schedule in advance.

Last edited:

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    If you have to post a sign indicating rules, maybe those "friends" shouldn't be there.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I think the biggest rule is the less people you invite, the less you have to worry about people understanding your rules and being on the same page. The low key, small amount of people method has worked very well with the few friends I have that are setup with backyard ranges.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i wouldn't blindly trust just having a sign or two or even emailing rules out (ie, anything in writing). when your friends and guests come, give them the speech on safety, procedures, cleanup, targets and whatever else is important to you. be super clear on muzzle direction, hot and cold range, etc.

a friend of a friend asked me to host a shoot at his house a while back, with some new shooters, and that's what i did, show and tell style, and it worked pretty good.

earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    If you have to post a sign indicating rules, maybe those "friends" shouldn't be there.

It may help avoid accidents and/or hurt feelings.
    My list of a select few are not all experienced. The ones who lack experience will go through a safety speech. The ones who are experienced may need to read what I expect.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You might want to be sure the property is posted no trespassing, in MD Blue paint stripes properly sized and placed is legal. At the range I think I would also post a sign "By Invitation Only" and "Must Have Owners Permission To Shoot" just to give the lawyers something to argue if anyone tries to help them self to your range when you arn't around.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I also put a tarp down for my spent brass to land on, so it doesn't find its way into the lawn mower tires.

Every time I use a tarp, the brass just skids/rolls off into the grass. I was thinking a couple old king size bed sheets. Soft so the brass just "sinks" in and pretty much stays.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Every time I use a tarp, the brass just skids/rolls off into the grass. I was thinking a couple old king size bed sheets. Soft so the brass just "sinks" in and pretty much stays.

bedsheet or drop cloth works great.

I find safety on a home range hinges upon one person being in charge.

there needs to be a "leader" or RSO. attendance presumes respect for the boss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom