• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrewQ1

Mar 9, 2016
    Would it be better to pay a little more for an AR that comes with a front flip sight and free float keymod handguard and picatanny rails or buy a AR with standard handguard and A2 fixed sight and replacing them with aftermarket pieces myself?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Only if you can buy what you want. If not, spend the money and configure your AR the way you want it to be.

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    A free float rail is going to a lot more accurate got longer ranges. The rail also allows you to add accessories like lights and foregrips more easily, which will be nice for home defense. In all honesty once you buy one its an addiction, and you will want to keep adding things and changing the rifles configuration, so bite the bullet and get the free float rail.

DrewQ1

Mar 9, 2016
    It's just for the look and being able to add accessories like lights, foregrips, etc.
    I plan on getting the vortex strikefire 2 red/green dot for optics also.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    AR-15's: Barbie Dolls for men.
    Seriously, you probably need to look at cost and your skill level. If you're not skilled at building guns and paying attention to what your changing and how that affects the operation of the gun, then buy ready to shoot.

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    It's all about shopping around the rifle will probably never come off a shelf the way you want it but it probably better to buy one free floated and low pro or railed gas block if that's in your mind set of what your looking for. Changing this and that over time can dollar you to death but at least it's what you want and spread the pain on your wallet over time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It would be nice to initially purchase with desired FSB/ railed/ low pro gas block of your preference, if such is offered. Fore ends are easy to mix and match.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There are basically 3 ways to go about getting the rifle you want. Some things like rails will vary hugely with what you want to do with it. For defense relying on iron sights, a factory built and pinned FSB is fine, but for more options shooting from positions, around support, or placing your hand further out to control the muzzle, a low-pro block and long rail are a must.

Find one, and buy it, might have some features that would be difficult or impossible to add with basic skills and tools, might be a bit limited on the combinations you can get, can be expensive, but no work involved.

Find something close and modify it. Avoid things that will interfere with planned changes, or make more work for you, like a rifle with a pinned standard FSB when you want a longer rail and low-pro gas block. You might end up with parts you don't need, and it can take some skill, but some changes to a production rifle is what most start out doing.

Build it, the only way IMO to get what you want. You can pick and choose what you want, AR's are very easy to build, a few armorer's tools is all you need, there are few if any wasted parts, cost can be less.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Would it be better to pay a little more for an AR that comes with a front flip sight and free float keymod handguard and picatanny rails or buy a AR with standard handguard and A2 fixed sight and replacing them with aftermarket pieces myself?

You'll probably save money getting an AR with a rail and the accessories you like. It usually costs more to upgrade after the fact. Go to the store handle some rifles and see what you like/don't like.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    PSA's mid length gas system floating rail freedom rifle kit with MBUS sights is pretty hard to beat when it's on sale. Of course you'll need to do a barrel swap to be MD legal.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    AR-15's: Barbie Dolls for men.
    Seriously, you probably need to look at cost and your skill level. If you're not skilled at building guns and paying attention to what your changing and how that affects the operation of the gun, then buy ready to shoot.

^^^I agree. I am sure one of the top AR makers will have it accessorized to your liking. Some manufacturers let you choose some accessories from a list. I'm partial to DD, LaRue, Colt, and LWRC (piston driven). Colt will be the cheapest of that list, but are of excellent quality. Don't feel like you have to buy off of the rack from your local gun store either. You can go to the manufacturers websites and figure out the setup you want. Then go on Gunbroker.com and see if you can find it for a good price. Also see what price the gun store can get you that same rifle.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Since the OP asked the question it is safe to assume he isn't overly familiar with the personalized AR platform. He knows perhaps he wants keymod or similar freefloat, a rail, flip front sight. He could handle AR's with the small diameter and large diameter handguards. Then he can see how they feel and balance. If he remains undecided, get the standard AR-15 set up until a chioce is made, then make the changes. Soon he will be changing the changes. They are the small block Chevy of the long gun world.
    Only thing better is the big block Pontiac of the gun world...the 1911.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don't build AR's to save money, I build them to get exactly what I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom