• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    First I say that all powders will perform well IF they are loaded properly.

Titegroup is an extremely fast burning powder with a high pressure curve and a very small margin of error. Dont get me wrong, its a great powder and I use it all the time. But because of its characteristics its not always the best choice for someone new to reloading. As long as the loader understands that it has a very small margin of error, there should be no issues. Powders like Titegroup are very sensitive to bullet weight and slight differences in OAL. Being able to spot signs of overpressure is not something beginners have the experience to do. This is another reason why Titegroup isnt the best choice for beginners. It is also very easy to not notice a double charge of Titegroup since the charges are so small in appearance.

IMO, the 2 best powders for beginners loading pistol calibers are W231 and Unique. They can be loaded in many different calibers (.38, 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp) and dont have the higher pressure curve of Titegroup or even Bullseye. They are also very volumess powders so its easier to spot a low or high charge.

Ah I got it, just wasn't sure the reasoning but that makes sense

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    First I'll say that all powders will perform well IF they are loaded properly.

Titegroup is an extremely fast burning powder with a high pressure curve and a very small margin of error. Dont get me wrong, its a great powder and I use it all the time. But because of its characteristics its not always the best choice for someone new to reloading. As long as the loader understands that it has a very small margin of error, there should be no issues. Powders like Titegroup are very sensitive to bullet weight and slight differences in OAL. Being able to spot signs of overpressure is not something beginners have the experience to do. This is another reason why Titegroup isnt the best choice for beginners. It is also very easy to not notice a double charge of Titegroup since the charges are so small in appearance.

IMO, the 2 best powders for beginners loading pistol calibers are W231 and Unique. They can be loaded in many different calibers (.38, 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp) and dont have the higher pressure curve of Titegroup or even Bullseye. They are also very volumess powders so its easier to spot a low or high charge.

Your reasoning and judgement are sound.
    To that I might add. Anyone loading any ammunition seek advice and IF possible someone show you how.
    I call alot for advice.
    If you have a safety problem or concern - DO NOT EMAIL - CALL US DIRECTLY 7:00am to 5:30pm Central Monday-Thursday : 913-362-9455
    http://www.hodgdon.com/contactus.html

Always double check my loads...Always I say.. especially when near max.
    I do use the online www.hodgdon.com for min and max loads.

I've learned a number of things from the hodgdon powder technician. They are ALWAYS spot on.

Last edited:

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I started reloading this year (Jan) and for pistols all I've ever used is Titegroup.

Yes, shooting cast lead bullets with this powder is smokier than using plated bullets, thats just the way it is.

I find that my automatic loads (.45 acp) are less smoky than my Revolver loads, not sure why.

It is due to this issue I'll probably be refraining from using cast lead bullets when shooting at an indoor range, I'll save them for Elk Neck or similar places.

TG is a great powder, and very versatile. I use it for .45, .357/.38, and 9mm loads. All perform very well with low charge weights (don't use more than 5gr with any loads usually).

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I've always used bullseye powder for 45 and 38. Recently I started reloading for 9mm and after testing 9mm with Bullseye powder and comparing it to Vihtavuori N330 in a Ransom Rest I found Bullseye to be just as accurate if not more accurate than N330. Long story short. Bullseye!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Despite my bringing up Titegroup , Tech 24 is on target . To expand the concept , 4227 is a very versatile and forgiving slow powder. And gives excellent accuraccy. But not * clean * .

"Clean Burning" is overrated. Likewise the "smokey" issue is blown out of porportion. Low charge wt as a goal in itself is a nonissue , and a worthwhile argument can be made in favor of high loading density as a goal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom