• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    First off, good to be back. I took a step away from the forum for a bit a few months back as things just seemed to be getting too heated in places like the water cooler and I found myself not wanting to log in just to see the same old infighting day in and day out. But I'm not here for a rant, I'm here for a price check!

So, I came across a little country gunsmith shop while on vacation down in VA. The store was awesome in the way that only a country gunsmith can be. Concrete floor, dim lighting, stuff crammed anywhere and everywhere, and a long line of eye candy snaking its way back to the two benches where work is ostensibly done (though I didn't see any being done that day!). The gentleman is also a dealer and had a couple of neat older SxS shotguns, one of which was very tempting to me, but seemed just a tad high in price, so I wanted to make sure before calling up and trying to whittle it down a bit.

It's a Stevens "Springfield" SxS 16ga shotgun with a Tenite (cellulose plastic) stock set. The buttstock seems to have had a crack filled with glue at some point, but I really couldn't tell. Otherwise, everything was in great condition and it had TONS of lockup left. They wanted $350 for it off-hand, but that seemed a bit high for an "economy grade" line like Springfield.

Case-color on the action was probably at about 75-80% (slightly faded, but still overall good and even coverage) Bluing on the barrels was about 60-70% with some definite fade in patches, not evenly worn. Interior of the barrels is good with no pitting. I believe these were mainly made in the 1940s. Again, I feel like the butt stock had a repair, but it was small. Stamping on the left side of the action said "Springfield manufactured by J. Stevens Arms Company Chicopee Falls, Mass USA".

I'm going to give them a call this week, is it worth trying to whittle down the price a bit? Any thoughts on actual value from our esteemed forum members?

Also, they had a Colt 10ga SxS in the shop as well. Externally it looked nice with a good patina, but the barrels looked rough on the inside.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    At $350.00 the gun should come with a tube of KY and instructions on how to grab your ankles.

They probably bought that thing for $60.00

Offer them $120.00

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Oddly, the ones with the tenite stock are more desired than the wood stock. I think the price is about right. If it was a .410 and with a tenite stock, it would be twice that.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    It depends, the sub gauges go for more than 12 gauge guns, make sure there is no play barrel to receiver with the fore end off and the further right the lever is with the gun closed the better. 16 gauge I would say 275.00 to 300.00 max.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    you might be able to buy a "repaired" tenite stock for $120.00 but I doubt it.The whole gun would be much more, assume 400ish with the repair if it looks good

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Thanks everyone.

I had it in hand in the shop and took the fore end off to check for tightness. It was extremely solid with no give. Hung the barrels by the hook on my finger and pinged them with my thumbnail, rang true which means the rib is good all the way down. What looked like a repair in the stock (shooters right, just down on the flat from the front of the comb) was very small, we're talking smaller than a pencil eraser.

I'll likely give them a call tomorrow and see if I can talk them down a little.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    At $350.00 the gun should come with a tube of KY and instructions on how to grab your ankles.

They probably bought that thing for $60.00

Offer them $120.00

I do know it came from an estate sale, but it was in an area with a pretty big hunting tradition, so I figure they took it for about $100-$125 the way things have been going at auctions lately.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I have 3 Stevens S X S 16 gauge shotguns, all with wood stocks. I would offer $200-$250 to start, in the condition you state. I would probably just keep looking on Gun Broker, unless they come down to $250, a decent wood stock will cost you $50 -100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom