• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Mine did better with Eley Target than Club... even better with Target than Black! I love it when rifles like the cheaper stuff!!

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    How do you get the scope through the mounts without breaking hermetic seals and so forth?

The scopes are not sealed, you remove the ocular piece and the lock ring and slide thru the mounts, there is no real need to take it out of the mounts unless you want to remove the spring.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    The scopes are not sealed, you remove the ocular piece and the lock ring and slide thru the mounts, there is no real need to take it out of the mounts unless you want to remove the spring.

Thanks. I have a 513 without a scope but the holes are drilled. I want to do a similar setup. But I think a "period" scope is cost prohibitive. The Leatherwood copies look good with the DSA mount (copies as well), but it's still approaching $1k.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Thanks. I have a 513 without a scope but the holes are drilled. I want to do a similar setup. But I think a "period" scope is cost prohibitive. The Leatherwood copies look good with the DSA mount (copies as well), but it's still approaching $1k.

A good Unertl or Lyman Super Targetspot can be found in the 600 to 900 range, just make sure the optics are clear, I prefer 14x to 20x for rimfire target shooting.
    The Leatherwood is a good scope but from what I hear the Unertl and Lyman mounts are better.
    These old scopes just look so right on a vintage rifle and perform very well, this is my early 1940's Winchester 75 with Lyman 20x.

Attachments

• IMG_1514.jpg
      IMG_1514.jpg
      62.5 KB · Views: 87
    • IMG_1516.jpg
      IMG_1516.jpg
      55.2 KB · Views: 85

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I'll keep a lookout for one at the shows. That and the OP's photos are want I want. When you say 600-900, does that include the mounts. I think the Leatherwood come's without.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Yes, includes the mounts, if your rifle does not have the barrel blocks that the mounts attach to they are available, sounds like yours already has the blocks mounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom