• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Took one of my old guns needing some work up to my gunsmith in PA today and stopped at 3 gun shops on the way back. Last one turned up a very nice Remington 513T.

This one is very clean and has a very clean Unertl 6x 1 1/4" Varmint scope mounted to it. The asking price for the rifle was less than what a clean Unertl goes for so even though I don't need another 513T I jumped on it for the scope. The 6x and 8x scopes are very popular for the CMP sniper matches.

Bluing on the gun is 100% and the bolt still has case color, wood is 90% with only a few scratches. Pulled the barrel out of the stock and the whole gun has been professionally bedded. The scope has been mounted by using custom locations and not the factory scope block holes, I'm thinking this was done to change scope adjustment to 1/8" click, somebody took some time and money to make this a shooter.

Attachments

• IMG_6693.jpg
      IMG_6693.jpg
      90.2 KB · Views: 716
    • IMG_6695.jpg
      IMG_6695.jpg
      80 KB · Views: 704
    • IMG_6697.jpg
      IMG_6697.jpg
      47.4 KB · Views: 680
    • IMG_6700.jpg
      IMG_6700.jpg
      70.7 KB · Views: 673
    • IMG_6701.jpg
      IMG_6701.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 767

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    So the scope tube is floating in those carriers?

Don't want to call them mounts if they aren't.

Yup, the scope floats precisely, the spring really does not come into play much on a 22 but on high power rifles it gets a work out. They are great scopes to use, the external adjustments are micrometer precise.

Maxplat, I could get more for the scope than I paid for the whole rig, so free in a sense :D

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Knowing what a nice Unertl scope fetches these days it seems you stole this one. Beautiful to boot. Someone loved and cared for it. Expect the same in your good care!

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Outstanding!

Although the title was misleading. I was hoping it was a 513T karma give away. Enjoy your new rifle.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Free?

I'm in.

Nice rifle. Considering a beginner rifle for my kids.. do I go cheap with a Cricket or make it an heirloom.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Beautiful pickup!

Outstanding!

Although the title was misleading. I was hoping it was a 513T karma give away. Enjoy your new rifle.

Me too, lol. Heart skipped a beat. We use 513Ts in a youth shooting class that reboots next month (along with Savage Anschutz Mark 10/10B rifles), so was about to jump on the offer. :innocent0

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Free?

I'm in.

Nice rifle. Considering a beginner rifle for my kids.. do I go cheap with a Cricket or make it an heirloom.

Depending on their size/age, a Remington 514 in nice shape might be a good one to start with. Slimmer stock and lighter than a 513T, yet plenty accurate. Classic good looks as well.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Depending on their size/age, a Remington 514 in nice shape might be a good one to start with. Slimmer stock and lighter than a 513T, yet plenty accurate. Classic good looks as well.

I picked up a couple of "rusty" Kimbers, for the grand kids, when the CMP was selling them. But those were their second guns the first I bought them were Rossi Matched Pair with .22 and 20 Ga barrels. Here it is in .22 and .410:
    http://www.rossiusa.com/whatsnew-matchedpair.cfm

They also each got a cased BP cap and ball revolver for one Christmas and I have a couple of CMP M1 Garands put away for when they get older. I'm a Good Grandpaw.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Thank you everyone, appreciate the comments.

I do expect this one to be a shooter. It seems to have a better trigger. I have another one, late 40's, I bought a few years back that also had a Unertl on it, a 14x target scope. It is very accurate, pic of the gun and a 50 shot 100 yard target.

Attachments

• IMG_1491.jpg
      IMG_1491.jpg
      53.4 KB · Views: 255
    • IMG_1504.jpg
      IMG_1504.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 256

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Hey, wait a minute! YOU CHANGED YOUR STUMP! Say it ain't so! This can't be! What's up with that???

Well, I see at least your good taste in fine firearms hasn't changed. Another great find OP! Always a treat to see what you might come up with next!

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Free?

I'm in.

If you're gonna go cheap, spend just a few more than what you'd spend for a cricket and buy a Savage Rascal. Schweeet, youth sized, single shot rifle equipped with an Accutrigger. We carry em at Scott's Gunsmthing.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thank you everyone, appreciate the comments.

I do expect this one to be a shooter. It seems to have a better trigger. I have another one, late 40's, I bought a few years back that also had a Unertl on it, a 14x target scope. It is very accurate, pic of the gun and a 50 shot 100 yard target.
    Nice. CCI Standard Velocity?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom