• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Thinking about trading my sky m39 mosin for a oberndorf gew 98 non matching. Both rifles are in good condition. I think the trade seems fair but i am not up to date on gew 98, any suggestions, is this trade a good trade?

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    So you think its not even worth considering? Is it because its a sky? I have a sako that i could trade or is the value of the m39 greater than the gew 98

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    So you think its not even worth considering? Is it because its a sky? I have a sako that i could trade or is the value of the m39 greater than the gew 98

Saying the market for GEWs is pretty flat, M39s are increasing and getting harder to find. Today they may be comparable, tomorrow...…….?

I regret getting rid of my M39.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Approx total m39s made 110k across all makes.
    How many GEWS?
    My gew is a wall hanger, my m39s of collectors’ interest.
    The sk.y is a pretty collectable m39.
    Is yours matching? Condition?
    What about the GEW you would trade for?
    Seems you should be able to put a value on each from comparables on the internet.

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    On the m39 the stock has been refinished with no cartouche of any kind and was repaired in the wrist area. Reciever and bolt match but that is it. The gew 98 no parts match, it is clean with good bore, and its a turk contract.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I wouldn't personally trade for the Gewehr 98 if nothing matches and it's a Turkish Issued one. They're common and decent original German issued Gewehr 98's can be found relatively easily.

The refinish certainly hurts the M39, but you'd be getting screwed on that trade.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Are bring-back GEW98s all that easy to find? I remember some being sold at a local auction a couple of years ago (I know Milsurp Dan remembers as he took one or more home with him). But otherwise I don't run across them that much. Then again, I've been pretty much out of the Mauser centerfire rifle scene for a long time, don't search for them. I remember the Turkish imports being common but that was decades ago.

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    I dont see them all to often. I am going to chantilly this weekend. I will be on the look out for one there

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I dont see them all to often. I am going to chantilly this weekend. I will be on the look out for one there

I saw a few at the MACA show back in March. Granted, it's the MACA show and stuff is priced high, but one seller had a very nice matching early war Danzig for $800 if I remember right. I would have bought it if I hadn't blown my cash already. If I see it next year I'm taking it home with me.

Gewehr 98's aren't as readily common as K98k's or other Mauser 98 models, but if you're patient and keep an eye out, you'll find nice ones.

Best thing to do would be to do your research on them (if you haven't already) before you buy one.

If you go to the Chantilly show on Sunday, I'll be happy to help you look for one.

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Hey dan!! I am doing just a bit of research on them. I will see what they have going on, hell i might qalk out with another swiss miss. Anyways im going to try and trade this sky for something diffrent and with this post i think i can finally post or the for sale/trade forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom