• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timkz

Oct 14, 2013
    Just wondering if there are any local retailers/gun shops that stock .22LR match ammo such as SK Rifle Match, Federal Ultra Match, Eley Match etc? I know that I can always purchase online but I would like to try out some small samples of various brands before I purchase a few bricks.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have seen Federal and Eley at a number of local stores. But hit and miss what one has on any given day.

I would hit the IP section, and make some phone calls.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I buy my match stuff online...as mentioned it is consistently more obtainable that way. If you can find a Nygord rim thickness gauge you can segregate good ‘target’ grade ammo into lots and get very close to match ammo performance. I did this with Federal 711B and it grouped almost as well as the Federal Match. Just an FYI.

Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    find an online store that has free shipping above a certain $$$ and order a bunch of different boxes to try. gun show also a good plan.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Go to Champion's Choice or International Shooter's Service. They'll sell by the box. I'd call and ask specifically for recommendations. Don't bother to try to buy good ammo at the LGS, they either won't have it or will want double prices for it.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I've had good luck with cheap Armscor (Filipino) ammo out of many of my non-AR firearms. The ARs like CCI Standard or typical match. I'm constantly surprised at what my guns "like".

As others have said, good .22 is impossible to find in stores with any regularity.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Go to Champion's Choice or International Shooter's Service. They'll sell by the box. I'd call and ask specifically for recommendations. Don't bother to try to buy good ammo at the LGS, they either won't have it or will want double prices for it.

I've had good luck with cheap Armscor (Filipino) ammo out of many of my non-AR firearms. The ARs like CCI Standard or typical match. I'm constantly surprised at what my guns "like".

As others have said, good .22 is impossible to find in stores with any regularity.

I believe United in Rockville carries some target .22, but I buy mine at Champion's Choice and a couple other online target ammo places.

As Rob says, don't turn your nose up at inexpensive ammo. There are some brands that are extremely consistent, just because ammo costs a lot, doesn't mean it will shoot better in any particular gun. Nothing that I own shoots Eley Tenex as its best ammo, but Tenex is definitely the most highly regarded and usually most expensive. My best target rifle prefers Eley Subsonic Hollow Point that costs about half as much as Tenex.

When chosing for a variety pack I suggest several different Eley offerings, SK and RWS. Don't be afraid to try Aguila Match too. If Champions Choice sells it - its the real deal.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Another for Champions Choice. My Anschutz target rifle likes Eley Target rifle in the yellow box. It runs about $6/box. Oddly, I get better results with this ammo than Match Black or Tenex. RWS R50 is really good too, but at twice the price I'll stick with Eley Target.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

My daughter shoots .22LR in 3P competitively and another good source to shot is champion Shooters out of Ohio. If you really get into it, send the rifle to killough in TX and they will test it to see which lot of elegy ammo it likes the best. Lapua will also test - they are based in AZ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom