• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This will be a loss at the district level. The judge now has an easy out in Masciandaro and will no doubt use it. Hopefully it comes quick so we can move onward and upward.
    Masciandaro has a month and change(decision March 24,2011 w/90 day window to file) left to get a shot. Not sure if he's been contacted by SAF or NRA, but the clock's ticking on that one.

Masciandaro was a criminal case from when guns were illegal in national parks, before Heller.

This is about the core right of "Bear", since we already have the keep.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    AG Gansler's entire argument is weak at best. It predicates everything on the idea that it is the State's right to regulate the rights of the citizen, when it is absolutely necessary. O.K., when did they declare 'Martial Law'? More compelling, however, is how can you make that claim when clearly denying handguns has NOT made anyone safer! In fact, all statistics prove the contrary. If anything AG Gansler's argument could be used against him, if data proving the absence of firearms increases crime is introduced. You could then say, "AG Gansler, you are absolutely correct, the State DOES have the right to use the most prudent means to defend it's citizenry, however, unlike your supposition, denying law abiding citizens the right to protect themselves has been proven to NOT be the answer". In essence, he doesn't "tie the knot" with his own argument, in that he CAN'T prove that denying handguns has made anyone safer. EPIC FAIL!

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Masciandaro set the law of the land in the Fourth, for now. Judge Legg really has little choice but to follow it, and Gansler made that clear. If Legg were to chart his own path he would be fairly accused of judicial activism. If we expect courts to follow rulings in our favor, we should not be shocked to learn they also follow jurisprudence when it is not in our interests, either.

Masciandaro could be appealed, or it someone could request an en banc review. The en banc would have the effect of "pulling" the case from the record until the full panel hears it. That means much of Gansler's current brief falls apart.

Someone better hope those NRA and SAF donations make their way to Masciandaro soon.

And in any case, we should expect this to lose in the District anyway. I like to be hopeful, but the fact is all these cases are meant to drive up to SCOTUS. They don't generally get there by winning.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Damn Patrick, that was the shortest and least promising post in this topic. :sad20:

Not if you always expected to lose this round.

The SAF has described it's strategy as "lose fast". That is why we see so many delaying actions on the way up. Everyone is trying to make it hard on us.

The sooner we lose, the better. Honestly.

Williams has no impact at this stage. If the Supreme Court grants cert after a Woollard loss, it is no big deal. If they don't grant cert on Williams, we still want to lose fast and get to the next level.

Assume Williams is not granted cert (though I am optimistic there): we need to get through the appellate level by the next summer to request cert for a June 2013 ruling. The states have done a good job so far of setting that whole process back - we should have been in an earlier session.

Oh well. The sooner we lose, the sooner we win.

If that makes any sense at all.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Anyone remember the discussion about Judge Wilkinson and his animus to the 2A (and with Scalia in particular)?

Wilkinson authored the Masciandaro decision. The article Al is referencing is by Wilkinson, criticizing the Heller decision, Of Guns, Abortions, and the Unraveling Rule of Law, April 2009

A few months later, a young, brash Attorney who happened to have argued and won the Heller decision, responded to Wilkinson's criticism of Heller. HELLER AND THE TRIUMPH OF ORIGINALIST JUDICIAL ENGAGEMENT: A RESPONSE TO JUDGE HARVIE WILKINSON -Alan Gura, July 2009

Ironic, isn't it that in a few months Mr Gura could possibly be standing before Judge Wilkinson in Oral Arguments at the Circuit? I truly hope we don't get that draw. Judge Traxler (Chester) on the other hand...

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Wilkinson authored the Masciandaro decision. The article Al is referencing is by Wilkinson, criticizing the Heller decision, Of Guns, Abortions, and the Unraveling Rule of Law, April 2009

A few months later, a young, brash Attorney who happened to have argued and won the Heller decision, responded to Wilkinson's criticism of Heller. HELLER AND THE TRIUMPH OF ORIGINALIST JUDICIAL ENGAGEMENT: A RESPONSE TO JUDGE HARVIE WILKINSON -Alan Gura, July 2009

Ironic, isn't it that in a few months Mr Gura could possibly be standing before Judge Wilkinson in Oral Arguments at the Circuit? I truly hope we don't get that draw. Judge Traxler (Chester) on the other hand...

One thing to be sure is Mr. Alan Gura has a plan..:thumbsup:

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    On the other hand, should Gura actually draw Judge Wilkinson (on the panel), the orals in that case will be epic. Failure, to be sure, but epic, nonetheless!

I'm not really looking forward to such an encounter, as I think Wilkinson will tear Gura apart, out of shear spite.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Perhaps Mr. Gura's and Judge Wilkinson's little sparring match sets the stage that Wilkinson cannot hear any of his cases, because of the appearance that he may not be able to be impartial? or is already biased?

Could Gura have set this up, in advance?

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Perhaps Mr. Gura's and Judge Wilkinson's little sparring match sets the stage that Wilkinson cannot hear any of his cases, because of the appearance that he may not be able to be impartial? or is already biased?

I don't think Gura set it up since the judge started it. That said, he should recuse himself as bias will be assumed, regardless of the judges vote were he to stay on the panel if chosen.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    I don't think Gura set it up since the judge started it. That said, he should recuse himself as bias will be assumed, regardless of the judges vote were he to stay on the panel if chosen.

Set it up was a poor chocie of words. Perhaps Mr. Gura responded as sort of a "Book mark" for possible later use, should Judge Wilkinson rear his [ugly] head.

Totally agree about him recusing himself, now that he has gone on record, in printed word.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008

Not likely...and I don't know what effect scholarly papers would have on the court's actual actions. Authoring a paper which was retorted by a lawyer with a different legal opinion or view, isn't like having an interest (read stocks) in a corporation bringing suit against a competitor (obvious conflict of interest).

Personally, I'd prefer to draw the buttwipe in Wilkinson @ the 4th, only to have the en banc (a stronger ruling, in essence, if not in effect) slap him down before headed to SCOTUS for review.

I'm with Patrick however. We all want Woollard to win and win ASAP. Yet we want good jurisprudence, and we want the "core" of the right expanded. It seems as though Wilkinson screwed us with expanding the right and I'm not sure why someone hasn't stepped up to the plate for a petition for review (I think we missed the en banc deadline?).

Masciandaro exactly like Williams (only in a pre-Heller world) yes? Difference being he was in a national park. Certainly gets bearing outside the home answer, and it would nix a sensitive place. Someone HAS to take that question to the court. It's sitting there like a bad dog going "yeah yeah yeah, let's get that squirrel, come on we can take 'em, let me at 'em, let me at 'em." Both Masciandaro and Williams are "ripe" and certainly would save a lot of aggravation, time, and money for our side (thus allowing the right to be expanded through a "next" round of fights).

Srsanbo

Massive Member
    Oct 4, 2010

To sum up what Wilkinson says so eloquently: "Nevermind what the ambiguous Constitution says, our elected officials know better and we should live with their decisions because we elected them."

I am going to find some really soft 100% cotton paper for my printer so I can print up some wipes.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    On the other hand, should Gura actually draw Judge Wilkinson (on the panel), the orals in that case will be epic. Failure, to be sure, but epic, nonetheless!

I'm not really looking forward to such an encounter, as I think Wilkinson will tear Gura apart, out of shear spite.

Not sure what your thinking!!
    From 1996 to 2003, Wilkinson served as chief judge of the court, where, according to reports, he is both affable and aggressive in his arguments.

"He is highly respected within the 4th Circuit and nationally," Rodney A. Smolla, dean of the University of Richmond's law school, told the Times-Dispatch last year. "I would describe him as a moderate conservative in most areas. He has an extremely personable and gregarious personality."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/SupremeCourt/story?id=1257307

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom