• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    The Extra question pool will change in 2024. What month does that happen?

On another note, my 17-year-old made this for me in his welding class. My most cherished present. It doesn't show well in the photo, the plaque has my callsign.

View attachment 447005
    1 July New Pool goes into effect

Might be able to load that up for Microwave work lol

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    GREAT write up K-31, thank you!!! :bowdown:

Is the current ARRL book available locally? I'm here in AA today and again next week and would like to grab a copy if I can.

I've got a decent HH I've never used for anything but monitoring NOAA, commercial FM and marine radio traffic and would like to get my license ASAP.
    I posted that in the beginning of this thread June 19, 2013 (post #7).

Passed my Technician/General exams together in January of 2014 down in VA and did the Amateur Extra exam 30 days later up here at the National Electronics Museum in Linthicum.

I just did my 10 year renewal yesterday afternoon - WOW, sure doesn't seem like 10 years.

I used the FCC site to renew and found it VERY hard to navigate. Ultimately had to sign in at two places: CORES and ULS. Finally got through everything except paying for it and got dumped back to the login page when I selected payment by CC. Went back in and then the payment page showed nothing active or due. Logged out, cleared cookies, went back in and after much fooling around, was finally able to make my payment. In all, took at least 35-40 minutes to complete the application and payment and logged in at least 5 times due to being dumped out at various stages.

After all that, I finally completed the process at 4:30 pm yesterday. This morning, my "FCC Application Grant" email arrived and I have an "Official Copy" of my new license already. I had no idea what to expect for time to grant and I'm surprised at how quickly that went through.

Expires in 2034, which seems like a date out of a science-fiction novel and I don't guess I'll need to renew again, LOL.

'Thank You!' to K-31 for starting this thread and getting me going on my license.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one motivated by his thread to get licensed.

By the way, we're conducting licensing exams in Severna Park on February 6th, 2024, so start studying! More details to follow.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I posted that in the beginning of this thread June 19, 2013 (post #7).

Passed my Technician/General exams together in January of 2014 down in VA and did the Amateur Extra exam 30 days later up here at the National Electronics Museum in Linthicum.

I just did my 10 year renewal yesterday afternoon - WOW, sure doesn't seem like 10 years.

I used the FCC site to renew and found it VERY hard to navigate. Ultimately had to sign in at two places: CORES and ULS. Finally got through everything except paying for it and got dumped back to the login page when I selected payment by CC. Went back in and then the payment page showed nothing active or due. Logged out, cleared cookies, went back in and after much fooling around, was finally able to make my payment. In all, took at least 35-40 minutes to complete the application and payment and logged in at least 5 times due to being dumped out at various stages.

After all that, I finally completed the process at 4:30 pm yesterday. This morning, my "FCC Application Grant" email arrived and I have an "Official Copy" of my new license already. I had no idea what to expect for time to grant and I'm surprised at how quickly that went through.

Expires in 2034, which seems like a date out of a science-fiction novel and I don't guess I'll need to renew again, LOL.

'Thank You!' to K-31 for starting this thread and getting me going on my license.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one motivated by his thread to get licensed.

By the way, we're conducting licensing exams in Severna Park on February 6th, 2024, so start studying! More details to follow.
    Ed,
    thanks for the accolades, it's obvious that you give back to the community as well in a big way which is part if the Amateur gestalt.

I didn't experience it myself when I renewed but a fellow Amatuer reported a great deal of problems and time consumed in renewing their license. FCC ought to be able to do better.

This is a timely post because I was thinking this morning that it was about time once again to look at the FAQ for needed updates. I've tried over the years to update and add to it, based on some of the posts and questions made in the thread.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Ed,
    thanks for the accolades, it's obvious that you give back to the community as well in a big way which is part if the Amateur gestalt.

I didn't experience it myself when I renewed but a fellow Amatuer reported a great deal of problems and time consumed in renewing their license. FCC ought to be able to do better.

This is a timely post because I was thinking this morning that it was about time once again to look at the FAQ for needed updates. I've tried over the years to update and add to it, based on some of the posts and questions made in the thread.

I see posts in FB Amateur groups several times a week asking for help with navigating the renewal process..... Yes the consensus is that there is no reason that the FCC can't do better also it seems the best way to go is to renew through the ARRL, a bit easier in the fact all you need to do is take a few steps, pay the ARRL site and send them the filled out 605

I'm due Next year, if nothing changes, I may take the ARRL route

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I see posts in FB Amateur groups several times a week asking for help with navigating the renewal process..... Yes the consensus is that there is no reason that the FCC can't do better also it seems the best way to go is to renew through the ARRL, a bit easier in the fact all you need to do is take a few steps, pay the ARRL site and send them the filled out 605

I'm due Next year, if nothing changes, I may take the ARRL route
    I wasn't aware you could renew through the ARRL. Can you tell me what "the filled out 605" means? Do they offer an electronic version because the person I mentioned called the FCC and offered to send them a completed form and a check but they said he couldn't.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I wasn't aware you could renew through the ARRL. Can you tell me what "the filled out 605" means? Do they offer an electronic version because the person I mentioned called the FCC and offered to send them a completed form and a check but they said he couldn't.
    Correct...you CANNOT mail a check any longer

It is detailed on their (ARRL) instruction page pretty well...

Basically you send the ARRL your 605 and wait a couple days then pay the fee electronically online through CORES

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    The AARC is giving a FREE Technician Licensing Class will be held via ZOOM and hopefully simultaneously at the clubhouse on nine consecutive Wednesday evenings from 6:30pm and 9:00pm, beginning January 31, 2024.

Preregistration There is no preregistration requirement, though we would appreciate it if you did so. We have included an 'Preregistration' form online for your convenience. Or you may email our training director, and include your name, address, and telephone number to learn@w3vpr.org. This information is strictly for the club's use and will not be shared with anyone else without permission.

Testing The week after our final class, FREE exams will be given in the club house at 1:00pm Saturday, April 13, courtesy of the Laurel VEC.

Starting the following week Free General Classes will be held so someone can roll right into that....

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    *** Ham Exams In 12 Days ***

Tuesday, February 6, 2023 5:45 PM

American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park, MD

Administered by Laurel VEC & Maryland Mobileers Amatuer Radio Club.

Pre-registration is now required to guarantee a session will be in progress.
    We have had some sessions where we set up in spite of no one having pre-registered and had no one show up. We often get walk-ins, but not always.
    It takes about 9 of us to conduct exams and some of us drive 30 minutes, which is a huge waste of time, gas and effort if no one is coming to take the exams.

Because of this, we have changed our procedure and will not be setting up for exams if no one has pre-registered.

If you want to take a chance of just showing up, you can certainly do that and IF we are conducting exams that night anyway, you will be welcomed and registered on the spot, but there is also a chance we will not be there and you will have wasted your time.
    PLEASE pre-register.

EXAM Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/view/mmarcveteam/pre-registration

It DOES make things smoother for YOU if you have already gone to the FCC site, registered there and have been issued an "FRN" (Federal Registration Number). The FRN is used in reporting your successful exam results to the FCC. ( https://www.fcc.gov/rofrn )

Note that the exams are given FREE and no payment is needed to take the exams.

The FCC is now charging a $35.00 license fee.
    We do NOT collect the fee at the exam, we will send successful exam results to the FCC for the candidate and they will have up to 10 days to pay through the FCC site.
    This fee does not apply to upgrades (Tech-to-Gen, Gen-to-AE).

Side Note #1:
    If you're interested in Amateur Radio ("ham") and would like to eventually get licensed, and you have read through this thread and STILL don't know where to start:
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoor..._learning_basic_VHF_UHF_operations/22-646491/

Side Note #2:
    If you are taking the Technician exam with us and pass, you will be eligible for your first year of membership with Maryland Mobileers Amatuer Radio Club FREE. We meet monthly in Millersville, and meetings are also available remotely via ZOOM.​

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Folks at Stanford have designed a new emergency portable antenna that resembles a Chinese finger trap. By changing the length/width they can control the pattern and power.

Screen Shot 2024-01-27 at 9.48.02 AM.png

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    *** Ham Exams THIS Tuesday ***
    Tuesday, March 5, 2023 5:45 PM

American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park, MD

Administered by Laurel VEC & Maryland Mobileers Amatuer Radio Club.

Pre-registration is now required to guarantee a session will be in progress.

Note: We already have candidates registered for this session, so exams will be conducted this Tuesday for sure.

We have had some sessions where we set up in spite of no one having pre-registered and had no one show up. We often get walk-ins, but not always.
    It takes about 9 of us to conduct exams and some of us drive 30 minutes, which is a huge waste of time, gas and effort if no one is coming to take the exams.

Because of this, we have changed our procedure and will not be setting up for exams if no one has pre-registered.

If you want to take a chance of just showing up, you can certainly do that and IF we are conducting exams that night anyway, you will be welcomed and registered on the spot, but there is also a chance we will not be there and you will have wasted your time.

PLEASE pre-register.

EXAM Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/view/mmarcveteam/pre-registration

It DOES make things smoother for YOU if you have already gone to the FCC site, registered there and have been issued an "FRN" (Federal Registration Number). The FRN is used in reporting your successful exam results to the FCC. ( https://www.fcc.gov/rofrn )

Note that the exams are given FREE and no payment is needed to take the exams.

The FCC is now charging a $35.00 license fee.
    We do NOT collect the fee at the exam, we will send successful exam results to the FCC for the candidate and they will have up to 10 days to pay through the FCC site.
    This fee does not apply to upgrades (Tech-to-Gen, Gen-to-AE).

Side Note #1:
    If you're interested in Amateur Radio ("ham") and would like to eventually get licensed, and you have read through this thread and STILL don't know where to start:
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoor..._learning_basic_VHF_UHF_operations/22-646491/

Side Note #2:
    If you are taking the Technician exam with us and pass, you will be eligible for your first year of membership with Maryland Mobileers Amatuer Radio Club FREE. We meet monthly in Millersville, and meetings are also available remotely via ZOOM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom