• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Starter ham equipment is like starter gun equipment, there are so many facets, but with just a Tech ticket most of the available bands are VHF and UHF. Are you looking for base, mobile or handheld? Analog or digital? Are you in the I-95 corridor or out in one of the corners of the state? Any plans to upgrade soon? (Really you should, a significant amount of the material on the General is redundant from the Tech test, its less than the whole Tech bite to upgrade for many people.)

When I registered for the online test it said I could only do Technician and General could not be added for the same test session. However when I finished the test admin asked me if I wanted to take the General test. I said I thought also taking the General wasn't allowed, he said it typically isn't but since I finished fast he would offer it. I said no since I hadn't studied but I probably should have taken a crack at it. I think I will go for the General now as well and then do the equipment search.

I'm on the 95 corridor in DC metro area. I also have a place in WI that is more rural, but I did a check and there is a repeater about 5 miles away. I'm thinking a digital base station, also maybe a handheld as I do some back country hiking typically in Shenandoah NP.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I took the an online technician test on Saturday and passed. Had some issues with Zoom not being able to recognize my laptop microphone so had to use my iPhone for the remote session. I have started to look into some starter type equipment and will probably look for a club to join, lots to learn.
    Congrats!

My recommendation on equipment is to not skimp but rather get something nice. You don't want to buy a crappy radio to have it perform poorly and then you get frustrated and leave the hobby.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I agree on saving up and buying better equipment vs budget stuff. Plenty of repeaters in the DC area, Ashton is the strongest in the MoCo area, 2 in Greenbelt, one of which is run by a club of mostly NASA employees, so you know its no technical slacker. There are plenty of digital HT's if you are going to do one of the digital protocols, but make sure the one you buy is compatible with nearby repeaters. You can't go wrong with equipment from the big name Japanese manufacturers as long as the digital protocol of that maker is supported by repeaters near you. There are several 2m repeaters around Shenandoah NP, if you program them in in advance you may generally be within range of one of them all thru the park.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    To the new hams:

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 4.19.59 PM.png

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    I took the an online technician test on Saturday and passed. Had some issues with Zoom not being able to recognize my laptop microphone so had to use my iPhone for the remote session. I have started to look into some starter type equipment and will probably look for a club to join, lots to learn.

Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bluemoon

Jul 24, 2022
    Benton LA Bossier Parish
    Starter ham equipment is like starter gun equipment, there are so many facets, but with just a Tech ticket most of the available bands are VHF and UHF. Are you looking for base, mobile or handheld? Analog or digital? Are you in the I-95 corridor or out in one of the corners of the state? Any plans to upgrade soon? (Really you should, a significant amount of the material on the General is redundant from the Tech test, its less than the whole Tech bite to upgrade for many people.)
    Excellent. Congratulations. Guns and radios are going to break me.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Thanks, appreciate that and the other responses.
    Get your general ASAP. When I got my tech 25+ years ago there were still code requirements and it kept me from getting a general for many years. As a result, I never really engaged in the hobby early on. I always felt that restricting HF privileges to technicians was one of the dumbest moves ever, because HF is where the fun is at. Not that VHF UHF/microwave can't be fun too - in many ways, more than HF (especially mountain topping VHF contests, roving, etc.), and lots to learn.

But while you're in 'learning mode, get your general ASAP and really, then just go get your extra. They aren't hard.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ham Exams next week:

Tuesday, August 2, 2022
    5:45 PM

American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park, MD

Walk-Ins are OK. Pre-registration is appreciated (saves ALL of us time when you get there), but is NOT required.

Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/view/mmarcveteam/pre-registration

Note that the FCC is now charging a $35.00 license fee. We do NOT collect the fee at the exam, we will send successful exam results to the FCC for the candidate and they will have 10 days to pay through the FCC site. This fee does not apply to upgrades (Tech-to-Gen, Gen-to-AE).

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Carroll County Amateur Radio Club fox hunt:

When: Sat 20 Aug starting at 10:00 AM
    Where: well, somewhere in Carroll County ;)

We do "coordinated" hunts using the club repeaters, but you certainly don't have to give your findings. I think this is a fun way to get younglings involved in radio. It's my favorite radio activity without a doubt.

You don't need a license to hunt as anyone is allowed to listen, but of course you do need one to transmit.

Attachments

• fox-hunt-map.pdf
      479 KB · Views: 63
    • fox-hunt-flyer.pdf
      179.2 KB · Views: 68
    Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Carroll County Amateur Radio Club fox hunt:

When: Sat 20 Aug starting at 10:00 AM
    Where: well, somewhere in Carroll County ;)

We do "coordinated" hunts using the club repeaters, but you certainly don't have to give your findings. I think this is a fun way to get younglings involved in radio. It's my favorite radio activity without a doubt.

You don't need a license to hunt as anyone is allowed to listen, but of course you do need one to transmit.

I see that the flyer says "somewhere in Carroll County" but the map appears just to show the southern portion. Is the fox going to be inside the area indicated by the map?

Also, is there a designated starting point and/or check in?

Thanks.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Congrats, i am looking to go for my General soooooon, i did the tech beginning of the month.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Ham Exams next week:

Tuesday, August 2, 2022
    5:45 PM

American Legion Post 175,
    832 Manhattan Beach Rd
    Severna Park, MD

Walk-Ins are OK. Pre-registration is appreciated (saves ALL of us time when you get there), but is NOT required.

Pre-registration info:
    https://sites.google.com/view/mmarcveteam/pre-registration

Note that the FCC is now charging a $35.00 license fee. We do NOT collect the fee at the exam, we will send successful exam results to the FCC for the candidate and they will have 10 days to pay through the FCC site. This fee does not apply to upgrades (Tech-to-Gen, Gen-to-AE).
    I'm trying to verify i can make this one before i Pre-reg (i have a draft email ready to go).

RIck

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I see that the flyer says "somewhere in Carroll County" but the map appears just to show the southern portion. Is the fox going to be inside the area indicated by the map?

Also, is there a designated starting point and/or check in?

Thanks.
    Yes, the fox will be within the map. There is no set start point and check-ins will be done via the repeaters. I'll see about getting the flyer updated with that info.

EDIT: flyer updated in previous post

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yes, the fox will be within the map. There is no set start point and check-ins will be done via the repeaters. I'll see about getting the flyer updated with that info.

EDIT: flyer updated in previous post
    Thanks, mind if I distribute to another club?

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Thanks, mind if I distribute to another club?
    I figure the more the merrier. Our tradition (which I think is typical) is the first person to find it runs the next one. Not sure how that would work...might have to be the first club member to find it runs it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom