• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cool ! Which Brandywine repeater , there's two , " downtown " Brandywine , and close to Dogpatch .

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Face is in place, main unit mounted, wires ran, power is done....just need the antenna and mount to arrive., Then snake those in place....and then maybe a speaker...since the main unit is in the rear...
    406f10a2f9cf0ad5a18837ce15eb2c2c.jpg

Sent from my Armor 8 using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Face is in place, main unit mounted, wires ran, power is done....just need the antenna and mount to arrive., Then snake those in place....and then maybe a speaker...since the main unit is in the rear...
    406f10a2f9cf0ad5a18837ce15eb2c2c.jpg

Looking good. Looks like a nice fit.

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    FYI....spoke with the Charles County Radio club pres...the La Plata repeater is a mobile antenna on top of a shed, so it's basically down....He said you might be able to hit it from the Roy Rogers in La Plata....the 70cm is currently being moved to a new location...but not known when.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If you weren't listening earlier this evening you missed the last chance to hit the ISS repeater in the evening until June9. June 12 will have a 60° azimuth pass, much better than the low angle passes.

You can easily listen to it sending signal back down from hams transmitting to it in the visual area. Best with a yagi, with a pass this high, a regular hand held will usually receive the downlink signals. Downlink is 437.800. Don't forget to hold HT antenna in the correct plane to receive. There is often some doppler shift to the signal, 437.800 is perfect when its directly overhead. 437.850 or so may be better when its approaching/rising and 437.750~ when its leaving/decending back to the horizon.

Always fun to listen even if you can't hit the repeater.

Tracking on https://www.heavens-above.com

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    If you weren't listening earlier this evening you missed the last chance to hit the ISS repeater in the evening until June9. June 12 will have a 60° azimuth pass, much better than the low angle passes.

You can easily listen to it sending signal back down from hams transmitting to it in the visual area. Best with a yagi, with a pass this high, a regular hand held will usually receive the downlink signals. Downlink is 437.800. Don't forget to hold HT antenna in the correct plane to receive. There is often some doppler shift to the signal, 437.800 is perfect when its directly overhead. 437.850 or so may be better when its approaching/rising and 437.750~ when its leaving/decending back to the horizon.

Always fun to listen even if you can't hit the repeater.

Tracking on https://www.heavens-above.com
    Thank you. I have an app that tracks it too...I will mark the calendar for the next circuit.

1683f46b8d88b25f2433f5ea1242693f.jpg

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Received my antenna yesterday. Walcott radio is apparently super fast...faster than the antenna bracket guys. I made a few contacts on the Prince Frederick repeater though, using the mag mount antenna, just sitting on the soft top of the jeep. Those guys are always on the net, so making contact is pretty easy with the mobile radio. We are going to Tennessee shortly. Wow, a quick repeater search and that state is packed. Which makes sense. The area we are traveling to has no cell phone reception once you leave the highway. We are shopping for our retirement land. Guess I now will be adding a radio room and antenna tower to my list of necessities for the homestead.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    DMR fans - there is an open-source CPS that supports a fair number of Chinese radios like TYT and Anytone and runs on Mac OS and Linux. There is no Windows version.

I did a quick test on Mac OS and read data from my Anytone and there weren't any problems. I have no reason to write to it and will probably stick with the Windows client from Anytone just because.

One benefit is if you create a channel and use the repeater call sign and it is in repeaterbook.de, it will allow you to auto-complete it with the frequency and such.

https://dm3mat.darc.de/qdmr/

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Saw this auction with a lot of radio equipment and thought you all might like to take a look.... https://hibid.com/catalog/283538/lawton-estate-mount-airy/?g=all-categories&ipp=10

Same as every online gun auction. People will bid the prices beyond reason. REALLY hard to get a bargain unless something is incorrectly described and you can tell by the pic.

ETA: Looked at every page, don't see any ham stuff listed yet, just CB and scanners, including some nice modern scanners and some fairly exotic test apparatus. Listing says more stuff might be added.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I filled out another ARRL First Contact Award for a new ham today. FCC is up to the KC3Sxx license number group now.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I filled out another ARRL First Contact Award for a new ham today. FCC is up to the KC3Sxx license number group now.

I didn't know such a thing existed. I have been entering them in QRZ to get them a record of their contact. QRZ though doesn't really have a way to indicate that it's a repeater contact though.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    The Carroll County Amateur Radio Club is running a raffle. Main prize is a Kenwood TS-140 radio with a tuner, power supply, and 2 power cords.

Second prize is an Icom IC-T7H HT with original antenna, charger, and battery case.

All radio gear is used, but verified to be working.

Tickets are $10 for a single or $40 for five. All radio gear for the

If you are interested, please see the attached flyer for more details

View attachment raffle flyer.pdf .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Good to know. I opted for a name brand as opposed to the cheapest I found. The mag mount would be so much easier...but the new jeeps have nothing magnetic...even the rear tailgate is a magnesium compound....aluminum everywhere else...i think I got the height just right...over the top, but not too tall to whack things...

Yeah, new cars can be an issue with mag mounts. Mine was on an 90 Cherokee. PLENTY of steel.

I think this is the antenna I had - https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dmn-sg7500a

So 40 inches plus 1 or so for the mount, on top of a Cherokee.

I normally would lay it down, but have been through garages without lowering it.

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    I watch his videos for radios I don't care for just for the entertainment value. I dig his kind of humor.
    Good stuff. Just watched it. I brought my baofeng with me to TN....sadly, it's range is lacking, even with a mag antenna on the roof of the cabin we are renting..I have been able to chat using echolink on my phone though....but to me, it just isn't the same...there are massive amounts of repeaters in TN though...lots of active users down here....wish I had hooked up the yaesu in the wife's truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom