• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Here is Ruger's press release.

[Editor Note: We are sending this out in advance of Friday's GunsAmerica This Week digest due to the overwhelming fake news that has spread across the internet regarding Ruger's response to a stockholder demand that they produce a report regarding gun safety and smartgun technology. Blannelberry posted a story on it here. The real story is that Ruger will not be changing any business practices whatsoever. They were forced by law to produce a report, nothing more. Watch for stories this Friday in the Digest regarding the efficacy of smartgun technology, and some insights into the effects of limiting access to firearms to the law abiding. ]

Ruger's official response (posted 5/9/2018 to their Facebook page): Please understand that Ruger was obligated by applicable law to include a shreholder's activist resolution with its proxy materials for a shareholder vote. With its passage, the proposal requires Ruger to prepare a report. That's it. A report. What the proposal does not do . . . and cannot do . . . is force us to change our business, which is lawful and constitutionally protected. What it does not do . . . and cannot do . . . is force us to adopt misguided principles created by groups who do not own guns, know nothing about our business, and frankly would rather see us out of business. As our CEO explained, "we are Americans who work together to produce rugged, reliable, innovative and affordable firearms for responsible citizens. We are staunch supporters of the Second Amendment not because we make firearms, but because we cherish the rights conferred by it. We understand the importance of those rights and, as importantly, recognize that allowing our constitutionally protected freedoms to be eroded for the sake of political expediency is the wrong approach for our Company, for our industry, for our customers, and for our country. We are arms makers for responsible citizens and I want to assure our long-term shareholders and loyal customers that we have no intention of changing that."

Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    "Reports" are generated to produce facts and statistics for the sole purpose of being twisted, distorted, and misrepresented for the advocate's agenda. This will be the first step, not the last.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It's extremely troubling to me that the antigunners groups have organized, mobilized, and generated funding to attack the corporate world and bypass government. This is in addition to the culture wars they're fighting(and winning) on social media, the regular media, and education. It's also in addition to attacking local governments rather than losing at the federal level.

Our side is being outplayed hugely right now. You don't need to remember too far back to see who is still in dc that has experience with organizing and using this specific tactic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Choke_Point

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    It's extremely troubling to me that the antigunners groups have organized, mobilized, and generated funding to attack the corporate world and bypass government. This is in addition to the culture wars they're fighting(and winning) on social media, the regular media, and education. It's also in addition to attacking local governments rather than losing at the federal level.

Our side is being outplayed hugely right now.

They're doing this to every element of society and culture. Hell bent on bringing in a Marxist political and economic world structure, and very well funded. It's going to take more than Donald Trump to stop it, and now.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I didn't know the Vows of Poverty had an exemption for stock purchasing.

Another statement, made by a nationally syndicated Catholic priest, perhaps is even more telling. ‘The Catholic church,’ he said, ‘must be the biggest corporation in the United States. We have a branch office in every neighborhood. Our assets and real estate holdings must exceed those of Standard Oil, A.T.&T., and U.S. Steel combined. And our roster of dues-paying members must be second only to the tax rolls of the United States Government.’”

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Our side is being outplayed hugely right now. You don't need to remember too far back to see who is still in dc that has experience with organizing and using this specific tactic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Choke_Point

Not just anti gunners but the Left in general does this with all sorts of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    They just agreed to prepare a report but I don't like the way this is heading. Glad I no longer own any of their stock. Because I would sure as hell be trying to sell it first thing in the morning.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/09/business/sturm-ruger-shareholders-activists.html

:sad20: I'm confused how people can say Ruger "caved" to anything with this.

Especially when they link to an article that says:

At the company’s annual meeting, investors approved a proposal from a coalition of religious women and health care networks that Ruger had for weeks urged investors to reject.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Not just anti gunners but the Left in general does this with all sorts of things.

It's not hard to "win" when you have academia, corporate America, the media, and the intelligentsia on your side.

We only have the truth.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    :sad20: I'm confused how people can say Ruger "caved" to anything with this.

Especially when they link to an article that says:

Well alright, some stockholders did it, not the management, they are still part owners of the company so they are "Ruger" just as much as anyone. Hopefully everyone can read for themselves and make their own judgments. But I will change the title taking into consideration their vociferous pro-gun statement.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Another statement, made by a nationally syndicated Catholic priest, perhaps is even more telling. ‘The Catholic church,’ he said, ‘must be the biggest corporation in the United States. We have a branch office in every neighborhood. Our assets and real estate holdings must exceed those of Standard Oil, A.T.&T., and U.S. Steel combined. And our roster of dues-paying members must be second only to the tax rolls of the United States Government.’

At least with them I have the option to defer payment when they pass the basket around. An option I often use these days.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Glad the Ruger company chose to man up. Perhaps they remember Bill Ruger stepping on his dick with his letter to Congress calling for a ban on magazines with >15 round capacity.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I'm sure a substantial check was deposited into the nun's favorite charity. Follow the money.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Shareholder activists have been after the oil companies, companies that use and sell animal products, and other companies for decades. It's rising to a new level with their wealthy benefactors, buying not just a few token shares to have a voice and submit proxy materials, but now having influence and getting control of voting blocks. The shareholders ultimately own the company and the BoD is elected by, and reports to them. Nonprofits are vulnerable, too, based on membership.

Just wait until 2.5 million +1 anti's join the NRA, replace the BoD, reform its charter, and change its name to the National Rigatoni Association. Pasta rights for everybody.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    A business decision that Ruger feels will be in their best corporate interest. Only time will tell....

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They're doing this to every element of society and culture. Hell bent on bringing in a Marxist political and economic world structure, and very well funded. It's going to take more than Donald Trump to stop it, and now.

"There is only the fight."

Insidious bastards!

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    I’d love to see a notice by the IRS to the Catholic Church on this one. Excommunicate the nuns or lose charitable status in the US seems like a fair deal to me.

Tom Veatch

Dec 6, 2015
    Wichita, KS
    From my reading of the NY Times link:

"Now, Ruger must produce a report by February that addresses how it tracks violence associated with its firearms, what kind of research it is conducting related to so-called smart gun technology (such as using thumbprint readers, like those used on smartphones) and its assessment of the risks that gun-related crimes pose to the company’s reputation and finances.:

I believe my report in response to that requirement would read:

"1) We don't.
    2) None.
    3) None.
    "

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    From my reading of the NY Times link:

"Now, Ruger must produce a report by February that addresses how it tracks violence associated with its firearms, what kind of research it is conducting related to so-called smart gun technology (such as using thumbprint readers, like those used on smartphones) and its assessment of the risks that gun-related crimes pose to the company’s reputation and finances.:

I believe my report in response to that requirement would read:

"1) We don't.
    2) None.
    3) None.
    "

The antis -- and little sisters that they're exploiting -- will scrutinize and use the required report for maximum political gain. Either chastise them for not taking their corporate obligation seriously and go after the Board/management for failure to comply, or spin the research to their benefit. This is how it starts. Camel's nose in the tent.

ETA: Also, the report will cost valuable resources in time and money, making the business less profitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom