• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Ok, so this makes things a little easier with a trust, but their system is very particular. You have to have a certain internet explorer for it to work and even then, its tempermental at best. When loading my Trust documents, it has a 3mb file size limit so I had to downsize the file, which made the text blurry. Hopefully this doesn't cause a problem since the signatures and notary seal are legible. The text overall is blurry, but I could read it. I guess it will depend on them. Overall, this isn't a bad system and made submission a lot easier if you have a trust.

Timeline

Form 1 Submitted 9/18
    Confirmation of Receipt 9/18
    Credit Card Charged 9/18

If you want to try the online submission:
    www.atfonline.gov

-Click on the eforms link
    -create an account
    -Use the scroll bar and do not try to drag and drop the actual emblem because the system won't let that happen
    -now click on the emblem to access the form and start filling in the information
    -when you get to the "upload doc" portion, make sure your trust document is 3mb or less (this is where I had to downsize the file, making it blurry)

I recommend saving the online form (save button at bottom) at certain points because the system is not perfect and it hung on me so I had to restart everything.

Last edited:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    newb here (got my trust docs from rusty today to review): If submitting online w/ a trust, how do you do payment from the trusts bank acct? Pay that part of your CC bill from the trust acct? You're supposed to pay for everything out of that acct right?

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I don't use a trust bank account... There are a couple threads about the pro's and cons of one. I just paid with my credit card

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Does this speed up the processing of the Form 1?

Not sure yet. Overall, it cuts down on mailing time at least and you get a confirmation that the application was received. In my opinion, that is somewhat of a benefit since snail mail can put a little more time on any app process. The only thing I'm skeptical on is the trust document attachment like I said above. Making a pdf of that size and having to downscale the file makes it blurry and I'm not sure how the BATF will respond to that. I'll try to keep this thread updated as to how its been going and I'll put a timeline in my OP.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Not sure yet. Overall, it cuts down on mailing time at least and you get a confirmation that the application was received. In my opinion, that is somewhat of a benefit since snail mail can put a little more time on any app process. The only thing I'm skeptical on is the trust document attachment like I said above. Making a pdf of that size and having to downscale the file makes it blurry and I'm not sure how the BATF will respond to that. I'll try to keep this thread updated as to how its been going and I'll put a timeline in my OP.

I was thinking more along the lines that a snail mail application must be keyed into the system by a paper pusher and that is now taking up to 2 months to occur. Would be curious to know if you "jump" ahead of the snail mail applications by doing this. I sent in 2 Form 1 Trust docs in early July.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I was thinking more along the lines that a snail mail application must be keyed into the system by a paper pusher and that is now taking up to 2 months to occur. Would be curious to know if you "jump" ahead of the snail mail applications by doing this. I sent in 2 Form 1 Trust docs in early July.

That I don't know, but I'll update my timeline as it progresses :D

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Do you have a link available for the online submission? Save me some time looking for it.
    Thanks.

www.atfonline.gov

-Click on the eforms link
    -create an account
    -Use the scroll bar and do not try to drag and drop the actual emblem because the system won't let that happen

I'll put this in the OP as well.

Justler

Jan 5, 2012
    You will need a 12 digit password with capitals, numbers and symbols. Here's one I use:

http://www.pctools.com/guides/password/

Just check include punctuation and increase length from 8 to 12.

I am hoping this reduces the time for applications...

I attached:

Trust (the scanned notarized copy)
    Schedule A
    Letter to Successor

Pretty easy process. Here is some info too on how to fill it out:

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2013/08/gun-trust-and-submitting-atf-f.html

From that site, in particular what's important:

UPDATE I have been notified by the ATF that you should list the Trust name under the Licensee and the Trade Name sould be blank but they will not reject or require a change to an application that is submitted as shown.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    You will need a 12 digit password with capitals, numbers and symbols. Here's one I use:

http://www.pctools.com/guides/password/

Just check include punctuation and increase length from 8 to 12.

I am hoping this reduces the time for applications...

I attached:

Trust (the scanned notarized copy)
    Schedule A
    Letter to Successor

Pretty easy process. Here is some info too on how to fill it out:

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2013/08/gun-trust-and-submitting-atf-f.html

From that site, in particular what's important:

UPDATE I have been notified by the ATF that you should list the Trust name under the Licensee and the Trade Name sould be blank but they will not reject or require a change to an application that is submitted as shown.

I called the BATF before submitting and they said I did not need a schedule A attached, just the trust document. Just an FYI.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    If you don't have a trust, how would you submit prints? Or can this not be used for individuals submitting for a Form 1?

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I had trouble with certain versions of internet explorer. The system is seriously flawed as far as compatibility. I had to finally use my Mac with Safari to get it to work.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I've submitted two online and it worked fine with the current IE on my windows laptop although I lost connection once and had to re-attach the trust document. Overall very easy.

zombie killer

Sep 11, 2013
    I submitted one last week for an adcor lower that they didn't have in their drop down menu and I listed the caliber as multi, they emailed me the next day asking what I wanted to designate it as, but for my other one they haven't contacted me at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom