• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I know the laws pertaining to home builds can't pay anyone etc. But what about after you are finished and you have a functioning firearm. Can (or will) a gunsmith be able to do mods like trigger job, match barrel etc. To make it better?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't see why not - but, I am not a lawyer, so don't bet on that answer.

Of course, if your going to build it at home, why not just start with a nice trigger group and a good barrel in the first place??

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Not a future build. Existing, want to change. As far as I could find as long as it is not a frame or receiver work then should be legal but wanted to find general opinion here.

gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    When I was done building my AR, I took it to a gunsmith to have him look it over to make sure it wouldnt blow up. He did a small repair for me and I paid him. Nothing hush hush about it. Safety first!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Gunsmiths have to maintain a a Gunsmith Log Book for anything taken in that is considered a Firearm. There is a common misconception that an AR on a SPikes Striped Lower is a home build. Its not. A Home build would be someone who bent an AK receiver Flat, or Machined an 80% AR lower into a funstioning firearm.

If there is no identifying marks on the firearm then I dont see how any serious Gunsmith is going to put their name on the line by not making a Log Enrty on a Home Build with no Manufacturers Marks on the Firearm.

Second is liability. Yes a Gunsmith can technically check out a home build, but again, if theres no Serial # or Manufacturers info how can a Gunsmith cover their rear. Lets say you have 3 home build AK's and one blows up. Is it the one the Smith inspected and said was ok, or was it one of the other 2 that the smith never examined. Since there is no markings no one really knows. Beyond that there issues with COmponents being used and the metallurgy of critical parts. Not every Gunsmith can do a Hardness Test and verify all Parts/Components are of good provenence.

I have turned down countless home builds (Guns with Home Made Receivers and unknown Parts Origin), too much liability for me. If someone wants to play the build game they should be competent enough to fix any build errors or function problems, if they cant they shouldnt be building the gun.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Thanks that was why I included (will) in the question. I can do plenty at home but match fitting a 1911 barrel or glass bedding a 10/22 action, something more complex in nature etc I don't have the tools onhand. What if stamped or engraved some form of makers mark and serial #?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks that was why I included (will) in the question. I can do plenty at home but match fitting a 1911 barrel or glass bedding a 10/22 action, something more complex in nature etc I don't have the tools onhand. What if stamped or engraved some form of makers mark and serial #?

What is to prevent someone from building 3 identical Firearms at home, on home built receivers and marking them all with the same Serial #?

It all depends on where the parts come from, how it was assembled and wether the receiver is home bent/machined or is a factory made unit. I do repairs and safety checks on guns people put together at home all of the time (1911's, FAL's, AR's, AK's, Buckmarks, MKIII's, Remington 700's, Mausers, Enfields, HK's, etc.. but they are all built on Professionally Made Receivers). Wether or not I take the job depends on how well the person who assembled the gun did the job. Some hack the gun up so bad it is more costly to fix than save.

Im just converying my point of view as a smith and the liability and legal issues I have to consider.

If you list they type of gun you are inquiring about and the provenence of the receiver I can give a more precise opinion, otherwise my comments are pretty broad and seem harsh. Its what I have to do to protect myself from loosing my license or having a civil suit filed over a gun failing I checked out.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Thanks for the perspective it is more helpful than reading "just do it right the first time" there is nothing wrong with my firearm it works and functions fine, there are just things in the future I might want done by a professional and I wanted to know if it is a possibility. Others in the future may find the information helpful as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's not quite the same thing , but lots of pre '68 firearms have no serial # . Whenever purtchased , etc they are recorded in the paperwork as NSN.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It's not quite the same thing , but lots of pre '68 firearms have no serial # . Whenever purtchased , etc they are recorded in the paperwork as NSN.

Correct but it still has a Make and Model #, its 2/3's the battle. The book is filled with Older post 1899 firerams with NSN in the Log Book. In those cases we note distinguishing marks, grips, stocks, engraving, barrel lengths, finish, etc....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom