Sporterizing C&R's, Mortal or Venial Sin?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Well I bought 2 today, 03A3 that someone did a BEAUTIFUL job on IMHO and a WGAF SKS.

The 03 as I said is done right IMO, Timney Trigger, scope safety, Fajen glass bedded walnut stock, Lyman front and rear iron sights, 1970's 3X9 Bushnell with "Command Post" glass (it still works WELL), new aftermarket brand X 06 barrel, chrome bolt, hinged floor plate and above all I REALLY like the looks. If it shoots as well as my model 70 does it goes to front of the safe.

The other I bought was a bastardized SKS that I bought as a spare shooter, couldn't care less about 90% of the accessories and bayonet at this point.

The 03A3 is in the 4 million plus range so they're plentiful, the SKS anything nowadays that goes for 300 or less has become a deal so it joins it's brothers as shooters. :shrug:

Anyway a pic is worth 1,000 words.

Attachments

• IMG_0595.JPG
      IMG_0595.JPG
      51.6 KB · Views: 310
    • IMG_0600.JPG
      IMG_0600.JPG
      51.6 KB · Views: 306
    • IMG_0601.JPG
      IMG_0601.JPG
      54.8 KB · Views: 322
    • IMG_0596.JPG
      IMG_0596.JPG
      50.4 KB · Views: 315
    • IMG_0597.JPG
      IMG_0597.JPG
      54.2 KB · Views: 310
    • IMG_0604.JPG
      IMG_0604.JPG
      50.3 KB · Views: 314
    • IMG_0606.JPG
      IMG_0606.JPG
      33.1 KB · Views: 306
    • IMG_0607.JPG
      IMG_0607.JPG
      30.4 KB · Views: 321
    • IMG_0594.JPG
      IMG_0594.JPG
      46.1 KB · Views: 321

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It's not a true Bubba SKS until you get a receiver cover scope mount that changes zero with every shot, a 6-24x zoom scope that didn't cost a dime over 50 bucks new (including rings), and an NCstar clamp on flashlight for the barrel.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    It's not a true Bubba SKS until you get a receiver cover scope mount that changes zero with every shot, a 6-24x zoom scope that didn't cost a dime over 50 bucks new (including rings), and an NCstar clamp on flashlight for the barrel.

No, ain't that bad, should shoot as well as a factory stock SKS as it is and that's all that matters for this one. Not planning on doing anything to it but shoot!

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Nice 60's hunting rifle. Back when a "Smith" would build one better an cheaper then a 70 or 700. Keep the old girl an she'll treat you right.

The SKS is just an upgrade. It can be turned back if you want a Mil one. You remember when the SKS was $79 with 1K of ammo.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Horrors ! That's Evil !

Quick, before your mortal soul is endangered any further, I'll make you safe by relieving you of that Springfield for $100 .

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Nice 60's hunting rifle. Back when a "Smith" would build one better an cheaper then a 70 or 700. Keep the old girl an she'll treat you right.

The SKS is just an upgrade. It can be turned back if you want a Mil one. You remember when the SKS was $79 with 1K of ammo.

Well it ain't a wiped Korean M1 carbine BUT the barrel innards are perfect. ;) The previous owner either took good care of them or they're brand new. The swabs with Hoppes came out spotless.

Jul 1, 2012
    For all we know that 1903 was a junked mess with a shot-out barrel before it was sporterized.
    It looks pretty nice now regardless, I bet it shoots well too.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I've never personally "bubba-ed" a C&R, but I have picked up a few over the years. I have one that is a work of art... built on an old Mauser and a probably a big improvement over what the gun original was (although it still hurts my head that there is a Wehrmacht eagle stamp on it). For that one, I would tell the former owner "Say 10 Hail Marys and sin no more". Then I have a .303 Enfield that I picked up for a song because it was so atrociously butchered. I hope to one day restore it, but to whomever did the original modification.... NO HEAVEN FOR YOU!.

As I said... it depends.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I agree... "it depends". What's the starting point? Is it something that started out life as a drill rifle, or was it 90% correct?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    With it having a spike bayo, Is that a sino-soviet SKS or a norinco?

If a commercial Norinco SKS, I would say, the work is not even a bubba.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    Twenty years ago ,I picked up what I thought/told was sporterized 03-A3. It turned out to be an 03-A4. Beautiful job but what were they thinking. A $4k rifle turned into a $400 hunting rifle. It did have the original Redfield scope mount on it.
    A couple of months ago, my nephew gave me a rifle that a friend gave him. I one look at it and Japanese because of the bolt. Beautiful job but what a shame for the old 6.5mm. Took quite a while to figure out the real caliber, no barrel markings. It turned out be be a .257 Roberts. We'll probably be passing this one soon.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    With it having a spike bayo, Is that a sino-soviet SKS or a norinco?

If a commercial Norinco SKS, I would say, the work is not even a bubba.

All three of mine are Chinese, 2 with threaded barrels 1 pinned. 2 are probably commercial Norinco's, the duckbill is pinned and probably military.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom