$1060 for CMP IHC Garand, is it worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    My other one says LmR on barrel

Attachments

• 4FFACA28-DD01-4BED-BD02-A8238A730A7A.jpg
      4FFACA28-DD01-4BED-BD02-A8238A730A7A.jpg
      53.3 KB · Views: 233

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    LMR = Line Machine Rifle...Line Machine was a prime barrel supplier to IHC.

I know but the tag CMP put on mine that references an LMR barrel doesn’t seem to match the Springfield barrel installed in it. Unless I am missing something, which is totally possible.

Attachments

• 83DACAAD-221F-4E9A-B011-BCB2077E2AD1.jpg
      83DACAAD-221F-4E9A-B011-BCB2077E2AD1.jpg
      72.8 KB · Views: 235
    • 1A948205-6E13-45DA-96D5-2B6DC2E47EDC.jpg
      1A948205-6E13-45DA-96D5-2B6DC2E47EDC.jpg
      82.9 KB · Views: 237

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I know but the tag CMP put on mine that references an LMR barrel doesn’t seem to match the Springfield barrel installed in it. Unless I am missing something, which is totally possible.

Looks like a mislabel to me. If it makes you feel any better, you got more IHC parts than I did, but that's the luck of the draw

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD

Yeah, the tag for my Springfield said the barrel was a SA 1-55 where it was actually SA 1-65. I decided to do a rough check with LC69 ammo and measured 20/100 inch exposed 30-06 bullet. This is in the right ballpark for a 1 muzzle erosion, but it's a really crude way of measuring.

Attachments

• Muzzle_edited - Copy.jpg
      Muzzle_edited - Copy.jpg
      109.9 KB · Views: 253
    • Muzzle_LC69 - Copy.jpg
      Muzzle_LC69 - Copy.jpg
      67.3 KB · Views: 224

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Not bad, no LMR barrel though. Has CMP stock. Some IHC parts but not much

Man. 2+/3+ and no LMR barrel. This is why I ended up selling mine. My brother thinks I am a fool, but I just did not want $1000 ties up in something with which I was unhappy. My decision to sell was also helped by the brainwashed USGI worshipers on the CMP forum who told me that I was an absolute ingrate for so much as making even the most minor disparaging post about my luck of the draw receipt. By and large, I find Garand/USGI collectors to be the biggest group of douche cables among all Milsurp collectors.

I turned around and put that money into a Winchester M1 Garand, with which I am much happier.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county

Def looks like someone was new at this or Old eyes/ shaky hands, ive never seen their tags be chicken scratched and that one was down graded, it was a 1 and 2 changed to 2 and 3. I wonder if the tag was off another rifle thus the barrel marking not correct. ?

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Def looks like someone was new at this or Old eyes/ shaky hands, ive never seen their tags be chicken scratched and that one was down graded, it was a 1 and 2 changed to 2 and 3. I wonder if the tag was off another rifle thus the barrel marking not correct. ?

I didn’t notice that but you’re right about downgraded M/T marks. Not sure they apply to this barrel or not, wish I had a gauge.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Man. 2+/3+ and no LMR barrel. This is why I ended up selling mine. My brother thinks I am a fool, but I just did not want $1000 ties up in something with which I was unhappy. My decision to sell was also helped by the brainwashed USGI worshipers on the CMP forum who told me that I was an absolute ingrate for so much as making even the most minor disparaging post about my luck of the draw receipt. By and large, I find Garand/USGI collectors to be the biggest group of douche cables among all Milsurp collectors.

I turned around and put that money into a Winchester M1 Garand, with which I am much happier.

Wow, thanks? I’m very happy with the rifle even if you’re not

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I didn’t notice that but you’re right about downgraded M/T marks. Not sure they apply to this barrel or not, wish I had a gauge.

Its hard to say as it does have your serial on the card but until you throw some Gauges on it you wont know for sure.. Take a pic of a round in the muzzle and post it here. Im curious myself to see how much is showing.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Its hard to say as it does have your serial on the card but until you throw some Gauges on it, you wont know for sure.. Take a pick of a round in the muzzle and post it here. Im curious myself to see how much is showing.

I’ll get some HXP from my stash and do this tomorrow

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Its hard to say as it does have your serial on the card but until you throw some Gauges on it you wont know for sure.. Take a pic of a round in the muzzle and post it here. Im curious myself to see how much is showing.

See below, I’m not an expert but glad to see it didn’t swallow the bullet

Attachments

• B90B9B20-25C4-4A98-B1BD-BB61204342C0.jpg
      B90B9B20-25C4-4A98-B1BD-BB61204342C0.jpg
      39.8 KB · Views: 221

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04