• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have a friend who has an old Darton bow. She says she needs feathered arrows for this bow but doesn't know where to get them? I dunno anything. I'm just posting for some basic info to relay to her.
    This is her older bow
    5bfe05fba36ae6e0878cd31e8c847b9f.jpg

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I have a friend who has an old Darton bow. She says she needs feathered arrows for this bow but doesn't know where to get them? I dunno anything. I'm just posting for some basic info to relay to her.
    This is her older bow
    There used to be an exceptional archery place just over the Brooklyn line up Rte 2. On the LHS side headed N.

They fletched arrows to order. Vanes, feathers, foreskins...you name it.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    She may prefer feathered arrows but I doubt she NEEDS them. I have a vintage Outers compound bow that I bought almost 40 years ago and it shoots plastic vanes fine. Maybe feathered are easier on the rest.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Bass Pro should have them, but they are a little pricey (they should be able to cut them to size as well). I've got a recurve that uses feathered arrows rather than plastic vanes.

Q

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    She should go to a reputable archery shop.

It looks like her nocking point is setup to use the bench, instead of an arrow rest. Which is probably why she wants feathered arrows instead of plastic veins. The feathered arrows are more forgiving.

Do not allow her to purchase wooden shafts! That is an accident waiting to happen with a compound bow, even though its an older one. Nothing like shoving a broken wooden dowel into your forearm, if you want to imagine what a wooden shaft failure would be like.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    There used to be an exceptional archery place just over the Brooklyn line up Rte 2. On the LHS side headed N.

They fletched arrows to order. Vanes, feathers, foreskins...you name it.

Next to Cedar Hill Florist in between the beltway and Hammonds Lane . Mom Ward's and the carwash .

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    I don't understand your reason of not using wooden shafts with compound bow? Properly spine arrows will work just fine. In fact when I"m making my own I test through a compound. I noticed you have those limb bolts backed way off,if for storage ok not to be shot as setup. Feathers work fine on older equipment. Purchase a jig and make your own,not a hard thing to do.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I've heard you shouldn't use wood shafts on a compound too before. Not real sure why, kinda over my pay grade. Seems if you could shoot wood arrows from a 100 lb English bow you could do so with a 60 pound compound.

Op are you getting the arrows or is she? She will probably do well at Macrotech, Blaster will probably want to choke out Len.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    If she gets a cable guard to push them away from the path of the string, she would get more clearance for her fletching. Some sort of elevated arrow rest will allow vanes to clear also.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I don't understand your reason of not using wooden shafts with compound bow? Properly spine arrows will work just fine. In fact when I"m making my own I test through a compound. I noticed you have those limb bolts backed way off,if for storage ok not to be shot as setup. Feathers work fine on older equipment. Purchase a jig and make your own,not a hard thing to do.

The grain of wooden shafts do not run straight down the shaft, usually they run diagonally across the shaft. Once the shaft has worn down, it can snap when released, possibly into the shooters forearm.

The shaft will wear down in usage from the compressive force of a compound. The compound bow hold weight is lower than the draw weight. That is why someone should not use wood shafts with a compound bow.

Traditional recurve or long bows do not transfer the compressive force, as they apply constant force.

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I didn't know you could loosen the limbs like that while it was strung.

Those limbs appear dangerously loose(maybe to accommodate a weaker shooter?) . That is a very old bow. Wonder how many times it's been dry-fired? Once is two times too many. Hold-off's got to be a paltry 30%? I wouldn't shoot that thing on a dare. Make sure that bow has been professionally inspected if it's new to her.

My 2 cents

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I've heard you shouldn't use wood shafts on a compound too before. Not real sure why, kinda over my pay grade. Seems if you could shoot wood arrows from a 100 lb English bow you could do so with a 60 pound compound.

Op are you getting the arrows or is she? She will probably do well at Macrotech, Blaster will probably want to choke out Len.

She. I know nothing about this stuff.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    This is her older bow

Compounds require a lot of maintenance. It may need a new bowstring and other mechanical work. Do you have the technical info for the bow? That is needed for proper setup. I had a compound years ago, but switched to longbows. Much more fun and easier to work on. I also make my own aluminum arrows.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom