• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You can certainly build 'adaptive housing'. I have a relative who, while genetically normal, is a bit height challenged at 4'5". Her husband isn't particularly tall either at 5'2". When they built a home, a couple of items were designed to fit their physical size. Kitchen counters, sink etc. are at a height comfortable for her ...

All reasonable and code compliant.

One exterior door must be at least 3 feet wide. Hallways and stairs must be three feet wide. More importantly, ceilings must be at least 6'8" high.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I remember my last fried hard crab at tall oaks. My oldest daughter was two years old and they brought out a high chair that must have been in use since the 60's. Must have been 1999 or so.

Probably 80's for me, that's one thing I DO miss here, fried hards. I can get steamed for a price but fried hards???? They look at me like I'm from Mars. :sad20:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Speaking of circuses though, we did have a real live circus tiger and lion trainer/keeper on a farm off Ft. Smallwood Road though. Saw them for myself! Ever pet a tiger and felt it purr? It's like laying your hand on a running VW bug engine.

It was Gene Davis who owned the big cats, he had a semi trailer that he hauled them around in that was reminiscent of a circus trailer.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It was Gene Davis who owned the big cats, he had a semi trailer that he hauled them around in that was reminiscent of a circus trailer.

Yep I remember him. Met him first back in the mid late 80's. Nice man, and he liked police. Lost track and don't know what became of him.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Trying wrapping your brains around the fact the area was named after the “Midget” family.

John & Mary Midget plus their kids and extended family when families stayed and lived close together. Now I made up John & Mary just so you could get an idea.

You former Coasties should know the Midget name well from your puddle pirate and life saving station history.

That’s how Millersville and Linthicum got their names. And Scaggsville in HoCo was named after the Scaggs family and not for a bunch of ugly hookers and drunken derelicts living in the area.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Trying wrapping your brains around the fact the area was named after the “Midget” family.

This makes sense.

This area is full of "------villes" and "------towns" named after early landowners.

There are a lot of Folk Etymologies and Urban Legends floating around which get picked up, embellished, and passed on unthinkingly and uncritically. People love a good story and are unwilling to let common sense get in the way.

That is exactly why Senatrix Warren thinks she's a Native American. Her entire source is a Family Legend based on someone's high cheekbones.

A secret community, "hidden away where no outsider can find it" and composed of miniature houses just makes no sense. It sounds like medieval stories of elves and leprechauns. Everyone knows someone who has seen it, but no one took a picture. Sure. Everyone knows elves don't show up in photographs.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Speaking of circuses though, we did have a real live circus tiger and lion trainer/keeper on a farm off Ft. Smallwood Road though. Saw them for myself! Ever pet a tiger and felt it purr? It's like laying your hand on a running VW bug engine.

Kind of like this?

0377.jpg

0378.jpg

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I worked the road in Pasadena for years off and on starting in the 80's and never saw a Midgetville or the remnants of one down Colony Road or anywhere else. What you did have in Pasadena anywhere near the water were lots of very old summer cottage communities and small summer homes people from out of town bought for themselves to use. We're talking about probably early to mid 20th century era buildings. Those have largely been displaced by age and new building. Or in places like Green Haven some of the old summer cottages wound up turning into regular homes and are still standing.

LOL. I used to work at Oak Harbor Marina in the early 90s and would hear the loud roars through the trees on a regular basis. Always wondered what was going on...

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Two Pasadena kitty memories.....

Severna Park 4th of July parade......Mr. Davis in his trailer with a "cub" the size of a large Lab. Asks us FFs standing around if we wanted to pet him. Cubbie gets to purring, to which a movement starts in the front hay loft. That when we noticed momma......like her shoulders were against the driver's side of the trailer and her hips were against the passenger side. Yes, she was a good 3-4 foot longer than the trailer was wide (this is a full size tractor-trailer).
    She gets up and stretches, jumps down and stretches out along the side of the trailer. We pull back, and he starts laughing, "she's less likely to hurt you than the cub, he hasn't learned to play yet". Anyhow she must have had ten people scrathing her back.........talk about purring!!!!

I was operating a Jeep CJ-5 brush unit off Fort Smallwood Road. My FF was a young black dude, big guy, high school football lineman. We're cruising through the woods knocking down the fire, when I stand the Jeep on it's front bumper, " what the h3!! is that out there about 75-100 yards?" My FF comes back with "that's the biggest lab I've ever seen" Lab **** that's a CAT".... that was when we saw the high fence and realized we had come up on the back side of Trio-D farms........oh yeah, it wasn't the kind of black panther my partner was familiar with.....

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Now this has been an interesting thread!
    I remember hearing about Midgetville and ranked it in with the Creature on Gold Mine Rd, the Blair Witch and the Witch in St Mary's or Charles. Fun to believe and search for when we were teenagers, but common sense tells us it's like the ghost girl hitchhiker and all those others. Some truth in there back in history to build the story on, but it got embellished. There's 3 or 4 in every state.

BobDT10

Jun 9, 2010
    Midgetville

I remember Midgetville of Pasadena. It was just as others have stated; down past where Tall Oaks restaurant used to be off of Colony Rd. I recall the hype too. And when friends wanted to take me there, It was indeed a cluster of old shore homes or summer cottages that people had worked on and lived year round. And the people did indeed seem angry. They were tired of being ogled by a bunch of youngsters looking for freak show.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I remember Midgetville of Pasadena. It was just as others have stated; down past where Tall Oaks restaurant used to be off of Colony Rd. I recall the hype too. And when friends wanted to take me there, It was indeed a cluster of old shore homes or summer cottages that people had worked on and lived year round. And the people did indeed seem angry. They were tired of being ogled by a bunch of youngsters looking for freak show.

So it's like Scotland, MD. Relatively inexpensive (for their day) summer cottages turned into year 'rounds. Just the basics, low roof lines, small windows and doors....

It's nice outside and I have a motorcycle in the garage. Later!!!:party29:

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Never heard of Midgetville, but I have been to the bar down the dirt road just past Tall Oaks, that was built on tree stumps. Family used to rent a summer cottage there, not much, just there for the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom