• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    From my understanding depending on the manufacturer there are 40 to 50 pound bags. you can buy it by the bag or by the pallet. The pallet is a ton. Prices vary per bag per manufacturer/dealer. I have seen bags as low as $5.75 bag to $8.25 a bag. On the norm a pallet of bagged coal is $345. A ton of loose coal local here is about $250. I am still 2.5 years new to the coal and far from a pro. That is sorta why I started this thread other then trying to find coal cheaper. Don't quote me on these prices because depending on how close you are to the mines and how much bulk you buy the prices can vary quite a bit per ton.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    BlackBart I bought it in Wilmington De. at Woodstoves and More. If I remember correctly it was $2200 to $2300. I had to pay a little extra above that because I had to have Hitzer build me a custom surround because my fireplace opening was so large. On the shipping papers it says it can not burn wood, but that is due to the amount of emmisions it puts off, because there is no cat or secondary burn for epa regs.. It can burn wood and I do also in it. You also start the coal off of a hot wood fire. It does not clog the chimney up with creosote. I have noticed that after I burn wood in it and switch to coal it cleans the internals from all the char marks the wood left behind. Trust me when I tell you there is a learning curve. I got frustrated and even asked myself what did I waste my money on. I went back to the dealer and he printed off a paper to follow and after that never looked back.

Do you still have the paper in case I run into problems getting this one fired up?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Easiest way to start the coal is to use about a dozen match lite brickettes. Stack them on the grate and surround with coal. Light it off and you're done. Once the coal gets going, go ahead and load the hopper.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'll wait patiently for someone to all BS,......

I started my stove about 5 weeks ago and haven't put a single match stick to it since. :D

THAT is the really nice part of coal, no ******** with major heat ups and cool downs. Wood is is a total pain in the ass. Coal you simply shake down and load up.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Coal is some cool stuff, just not overly popular around here as compared to wood. Both are still dirty as fhuk.

For me the wood is basically free, consumables for the chain saw, gas/hydraulic splitter + maintenance, plus all the free time for labor to saw, split, load, unload, stack, load, etc. etc. Handle the same piece of wood 5 times before it even gets burned.

Me and a friend harvested 4 dead tree's this year, some people just dont want to go through the effort. It eats up a lot of free time

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I do not have the paper anymore. PJ Diesel is fully correct about the one match deal with cool downs and heat ups. The easiest way is the way Straightshooter is say with the soft coal. I also use a medium sized hot fire to start it from wood or in a pinch you can use a good heat gun, but this way sucks. There are lots of good tips on youtube and the internet now. The one thing you may not like about the Hitzer 983 is you have to manually feed it and that is where I had my problems with choking it out. The next model down has a feed hopper though. I believe it is the 683.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Yes - most of the bags in our area seem to be 40 lb bags. Tractor Supply carries this (http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/kimmels-coal-and-packaging-nut-coal-40-lb) for $4.99 a bag making it $249.50 + 5% discount for out the door cost of $237.00 per palllet/ton.

Mr. Mulch was selling Blaschak coal in 40 lb bags also but can't remember the price.

Waiting to see how the Harman TLC2000 handles both wood and coal as it was marketed as being bi-fuel. and we have access to a lot of woods.

Which Tractor supply sells the bagged coal for that price. I never thought of asking the local one here if they sold it. At the price of 249.50, I could put that on the trailer and it would be way easier to deal with and store. I have never seen it that cheap for bagged coal. Wow that's great the best price I have heard was 300. Now I am glad I started this thread!

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Which Tractor supply sells the bagged coal for that price. I never thought of asking the local one here if they sold it. At the price of 249.50, I could put that on the trailer and it would be way easier to deal with and store. I have never seen it that cheap for bagged coal. Wow that's great the best price I have heard was 300. Now I am glad I started this thread!

It was at the Dover store. Use this link (http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/kimmels-coal-and-packaging-nut-coal-40-lb) to check inventory of store local to you. If it is showing out of stock, give them a call and ask them to order it on a rain check for you. When you go to pick it up, you may have to remind them of the 5% discount on bulk purchase (same as policy as the pellet sales). Total price after discount was $237 per ton.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    When I saw the name of this thread I just had to click on it. I grew up in the hard coal region of PA, didn't move to Baltimore til I was a teenager. We had a full-blown coal-fired BOILER at the house, 2nd room of the cellar. The front cellar room held the coal, which was delivered by a dump truck down a chute through the window. A screw conveyor that locally was called the "worm" fed the boiler. Some people had concrete poured into a funnel shape for the coal to be dumped into, with the worm entering at the bottom, but ours was just in a pile. Depending on how cold it was, someone (usually me!) would have to shovel or hoe the coal over the screw to make sure it would feed. On a really cold day you might have to do this a few times.

In those days I remember my dad complaining if he had to pay more than $20 a ton, which we got maybe 3 or 4 times a year. When the weather started to turn cold, the whole town would stink like sulfur because those old furnaces and boilers burn pretty dirty for the first few hours, until they get good and hot.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    It was at the Dover store. Use this link (http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/kimmels-coal-and-packaging-nut-coal-40-lb) to check inventory of store local to you. If it is showing out of stock, give them a call and ask them to order it on a rain check for you. When you go to pick it up, you may have to remind them of the 5% discount on bulk purchase (same as policy as the pellet sales). Total price after discount was $237 per ton.

Thank you Seagrave. I was on their (TSC) site checking it out and Kimmel's also got good reviews too. I disappeared off the site for a little while to look for that paper. My wife said all the papers she was aware of were in a file. I looked for it and could not find it. Possibly after I got the hang of it I must of discarded it.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Thank you Seagrave. I was on their (TSC) site checking it out and Kimmel's also got good reviews too. I disappeared off the site for a little while to look for that paper. My wife said all the papers she was aware of were in a file. I looked for it and could not find it. Possibly after I got the hang of it I must of discarded it.

Thanks for re-checking. If I run into problems, I would like to hit you up on this thread or PMs for some guidance.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Not a problem, but like I said I am far from a pro. That's why I started this thread. Mine is hand fed and a lot of the Harman's are hopper fed which is a little different

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    When I saw the name of this thread I just had to click on it. I grew up in the hard coal region of PA, didn't move to Baltimore til I was a teenager. We had a full-blown coal-fired BOILER at the house, 2nd room of the cellar. The front cellar room held the coal, which was delivered by a dump truck down a chute through the window. A screw conveyor that locally was called the "worm" fed the boiler. Some people had concrete poured into a funnel shape for the coal to be dumped into, with the worm entering at the bottom, but ours was just in a pile. Depending on how cold it was, someone (usually me!) would have to shovel or hoe the coal over the screw to make sure it would feed. On a really cold day you might have to do this a few times.

In those days I remember my dad complaining if he had to pay more than $20 a ton, which we got maybe 3 or 4 times a year. When the weather started to turn cold, the whole town would stink like sulfur because those old furnaces and boilers burn pretty dirty for the first few hours, until they get good and hot.

When I was in elementary school it had a coal fired boiler and in the winter you could smell it when the wind was blowing right on the walk. When they first fired it that sucker was ripe.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    In the past i bought my coal from The Mill in Delta, PA. I'd buy a ton of Nut coal which lasted more than a season. I cart it to the house in a trailer, saves delivery costs. I built a coal box to store it in which has a door at the bottom to let the coal fall into a bucket.

We have a Harman stove which will heat the entire house. We went to Geothermal a few years ago and now the coal is a back up.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I don't know pricing but keep my eye out for coal because I use Bituminous for forging, get it in Lancaster County. For Cecil County coal suppliers try:
    Duvall's Lawn & Garden, Inc.
    653 Telegraph Rd
    Rising Sun, MD 21911
    (410) 658-6519

Biggs Inc (at one time carried coal)
    190 Joseph Biggs Memorial Hwy
    Rising Sun, MD 21911
    (410) 658-5531

American Home & Hardware
    202 W Main St Elkton, MD 21921
    (410) 398-1900

I have also seen quite a few COAL FOR SALE signs when driving around Lancaster County PA.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Thank you to everyone that had some input on this thread. I learned a little more then what I came in with. I called Mr. Mulch today and had to leave a message for pricing. When I get a price I will post it. My wife informed me today that we have to go to TSC, so I am going to inquire about their coal and how to get it if not in stock. At this time I have a 1/2 ton but will need another 1/2 to 1 ton for the season.

MDlineman

Mar 23, 2013
    FFL (Fredneck For Life)
    I have a Harman Trident boiler and it heats a 2 story log home with around 5 tons of coal per heating season. I pick it up at the breaker (Superior Coal, see Nepacrossroads.com anthracite dealers, breakers, etc.). It cost $170 a ton picked up and around $100 in fuel. It helps that I have a friend with a 10 ton dump. Lehigh anthracite will deliver for a reasonable fee but you would need to buy 22-23 tons to make it worth the price. I am going to do that next year though and I will be set for a few years. Blaschack is not that great, go with Kimmels if it is available.

jjfcars

Jan 25, 2013
    cecil
    Jim johnsons fine cars in perryville has bagged coal. Also sells DS and hitzer wood and coal stoves. My brother owns the small stove shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom